The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 26, 2001, 07:31 PM   #1
Gewehr98

Barrel life expectancy - .300 RUM PSS

Friend of mine just bought a new Remington 700 Police in .300 Remington Ultra Mag. Regardless of why law enforcement thinks they need something with that much oomph for their supposed 100 yard or less engagement ranges, what is the barrel life gonna be like on that big beltless magnum?

He fired 8 rounds, decided the gun wasn't for him, and has offered it to me, including brass and dies. I'm thinking it'll chew barrels up every bit as fast as the .300 Weatherby Magnum.

Moly-coating the bullets, taking time between rounds to keep temps down, and downloading from max pressures should give me, what, about 500 rounds before the throat is chewed up so much my accuracy drops off? I already own a .308 700 PSS, and love it's accuracy, so this big brother should perform along the same lines, save for recoil and barrel life. Anybody shoot one for several hundred rounds yet?

Neural Misfires
Old November 26, 2001, 10:19 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

It's only money. Can't be as bad as my abortive 22/06 for barrel life.

Nothin like lots of Fed money to get pretty toys for the locals, whether they need em or not.

Sam
Old November 26, 2001, 10:28 PM   #3
tomandnacole

300 ultra is not to bad on bbls. for a real world interdiction rifle you should not even notice erosion. a good gunsmith can set the bbl back .5 inch to fix any that might occure in the future. if you dont want it tell your friend i will buy it at a fair price. tom