The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 7, 2012, 01:33 PM   #51
hermannr

vandyatc: here: http://www.ecy.wa.gov/services/gis/m...pl/mplco24.pdf

is a map available for my county. I am sure KY has similar maps available. It will show you land use, ownership. I know KY has at least one NF, and I believe they also have a bit of TVA land too? National recreational areas?

The KY state F&W people say there is over 1.5 million acres of public land that you can hunt on in KY... http://fw.ky.gov/kfwis/wmaguide.asp
Old November 7, 2012, 02:40 PM   #52
chewie146

I wasn't going to read 3 pages to see if this was already there, but deodorant body spray, such as Axe, will remove permanent marker.
Old November 7, 2012, 04:09 PM   #53
FlyFish

Quote:
I regret it to this day, but the day after my 17th birthday when I enlisted, I slapped a "U.S. Army" patch on my range bag and that has lead to no end of generally negative interactions at said WMA.
That makes me very sad. I'm happy to say that I can't imagine you getting anything but positive comments at my gun club. Thank you for your service.
Old November 7, 2012, 06:48 PM   #54
E.J.W.

Here I thought crap like being harassed while shooting only happened to me.
I live on my own 25 acre plot. I used a dozer some years back to create a range with a dirt berm that's 15 ft high, 20 ft thick at the base and curved like a half moon. I felt this was sufficient to stop most rounds. One day I invited two friends over to shoot and one brought his brother who was a local off-duty LEO.
The "neighbor" a few doors down who nobody likes or talks to, heard all the shooting and rode over on his ATV to put a stop to it. After talking politely with this man for over 30 minutes he got nasty and threatened to report us all to the police for disturbing the peace, unlawful possession of weapons and all kinds of other nonsense. .....This is where it gets good...
The LEO that was with us informed the man that we were all within our legal rights as far as the weapons we were shooting and all neighboring distance laws. The man went ballistic on him calling him a liar for impersonating an officer and that he would be pressing charges on all of us. The LEO proceeded to display his badge, used his phone to call a fellow on duty officer to arrest the man for trespassing with his ATV and to impound the ATV.
I have never heard a peep out of this neighbor since that day and we still shoot at my place all year long.
I also buy this LEO breakfast whenever I run into him in town.
Justice served.
Old November 7, 2012, 07:00 PM   #55
jhenry

I needed a happy story today, thank you.
Old November 7, 2012, 09:00 PM   #56
wingspar

All my shooting is on public lands. It’s rather remote around here. 6 hours to the nearest metropolitan area, 80 miles to the nearest Walmart, so it’s rare to see or hear another vehicle, except during deer season. My last two outings. Both during deer season.

1). One day I must have heard nearly 10 vehicles. It was a weekend.

2). Next time I heard one vehicle in 4 ½ hours. My vehicle is always within sight of me. Since it is deer season, I’ve been a nice guy, and left the Tannerite home.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:55 PM   #57
SPEMack618

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish
That makes me very sad. I'm happy to say that I can't imagine you getting anything but positive comments at my gun club. Thank you for your service.
It is just one of those things that make you shake your head and laugh on the inside. Coming from a very conservative, pro-military area, especially since the mills went to Mexico and the G.I. Bill is one of the few ways to go to college, it is hit or miss on what people at the range may say.
Old November 9, 2012, 10:47 AM   #58
Rmart30

Quote:
I'd go shooting again if i were you and set a trail cam looking at the vehicles and try and catch them in the act.
I actually do that when I go hunting or to a remote boat launch location. I park where there is a woodline close and I keep a Moultrie M80 black flash camera in the truck and I hide it where it will get pics of anyone around the vehicle.
You would be surprised at how many people walk by and look in a vehicle when there isnt anyone around. I always leave nothing in view in mine worth stealing.