The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2009, 07:14 PM   #26
CrustyFN

Quote:
Shooting ANY reloaded ammo in a Glock VOIDS the factory warranty...what part of VOIDS do you not understand ?
I take it the Glock warranty is the only one you have read then. Every gun manufacture I have read states a void warranty if shooting reloads, so it looks like you better give up reloading. I have a G17 that I have had for two years. I shoot IDPA, GSSF, practice and fun stuff. It has never seen factory ammo, as well as some of my other guns.
Rusty
Old March 25, 2009, 08:03 PM   #27
snuffy

Okay, another alloy mix has been created and tested I used 4# of nearly pure lead with 16# of linotype metal. The resulting boolits went up to 14.5,(from the original 12.5.) Not much gain for the amount of harder lino.

I LLA'd them, put them in my oven for a couple hours @ 175 degrees. Dry, well as dry as lee liquid alox ever gets! I loaded some to try today at the 5.0 ww-231 level, and a few at 5.7. The 5.0 load grouped better than the first bunch. No leading at all! Then I shot the 5.7 loads, this time no keyholes but the group was 3x the 5.0 group. Also the hotter load shows some leading, same as before.

Okay, I have a decent load for plinking. Once the weather turns to spring, the range road opens up, I'll go do a torture test. I'm going to load 2 -3 hundred of these, shoot 50 at a time while checking the barrel for lead build up. Won't be for a couple of weeks, but I'll report back on this thread when it's done.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 26, 2009, 08:59 AM   #28
Alleykat

I only shoot my reloads through my Glocks, just don't load lead. Recently noticed a hairline crack in my old Gen2 G17's slide, at the front of the ejection port. Called Glock and was immediately told that they'd replace the slide, which they did. There were no questions about whether I was the first or fiftieth owner or whether I'd ever shot reloads.

Glock's manual also states that the warranty is only for one year. Anybody REALLY believe that's the case??
Old March 26, 2009, 12:20 PM   #29
darkgael

Thanks

Snuffy: Thanks for all the real world work. It'd be interesting to know whether those loads would lead up other barrels as they do the Glock barrel. I wonder, also, how Linotype would do. That I may take a look at, got some lino by the casting bench. Hmmm.
Pete