The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 23, 2013, 03:52 PM   #1
HarrySchell

DHS Endorsement of the AR15 "Sport rifle for personal defense"

Yup. You read that right.

http://radioviceonline.com/departmen...sonal-defense/

h/t...The Calguns 2nd Amendment forum: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=686220
Old January 23, 2013, 03:54 PM   #2
HarrySchell

"The United States Department of Homeland Security has stated a rifle chambered in 5.56 NATO (compatible with .223) with a magazine capacity of 30 rounds is “suitable for personal defense use in close quarters…”

Well smack me up-side the head. First, a hat tip to Breitbart’s Awr Hawkins who pointed us to a posted General Services Administration (GSA) business opportunity solicitation posted and updated last summer. Basically, the site posts a request for proposal (RFP) for personal defense weapons for the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) division of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)."
Old January 23, 2013, 03:58 PM   #3
jason_iowa

We should be investing in gun safety, education and marksmanship as a country for all citizens. That would do far more good then any legislation restricting what we can own.
Old January 23, 2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Thanks for the article. It's a useful angle, from an argument perspective. "Apparently, DHS believes that select-fire .223s are suitable for personal defense . . . "
Old January 23, 2013, 04:34 PM   #5
jpcmt

Quote:
We should be investing in gun safety, education and marksmanship as a country for all citizens. That would do far more good then any legislation restricting what we can own.
Exactly! Upgrade the CMP and start selling used M14s, M4s, and other military grade equipment. We'll be much closer to our armed friends in Switzerland, and we'll hopefully inherit greater security from...."gun violence!" lol
Old January 23, 2013, 04:54 PM   #6
JimDandy

I'm not proposing we post a petition, but idly musing if we could collect enough people to get a petition on whitehouse.gov out of the initial hidden stage, to the searchable stage asking the President to ensure every American has the right to the very same weapon judged by HIS Homeland Security Department to be a suitable personal defense weapon....
Old January 23, 2013, 05:12 PM   #7
Dr Big Bird PhD

For the first time since all of this nonsense has started, I am shocked.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 23, 2013, 05:31 PM   #8
jd70

I wonder how this will and can be used by lawyers for heller and Miller. New York loop hole? If its recommended for homeland security. Could that also be used by the militia (you me? )
Old January 23, 2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Alabama Shooter

Even a broken clock....

Best Part

Quote:
The fire control selector shall have three positions; safe, semi-automatic, and automatic. The selector shall have positions which are clearly labeled for the mode of fire.