The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 28, 2000, 01:32 PM   #1
doddle

can a person change the barrel without to much dificulty
Old April 29, 2000, 07:55 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

doddle:
You could possibly get a quicker response in the "smithy" forum.

HJN
Old April 29, 2000, 12:17 PM   #3
johnwill

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by doddle:
can a person change the barrel without to much dificulty[/quote]

The barrel is the serial numbered part in the Ruger, so it's an FFL exchange to change the barrel. It's not hard to remove the barrel, after field stripping the pistol, you just pound it off with a plastic hammer.

Old April 29, 2000, 01:46 PM   #4
Joefo

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnwill:
The barrel is the serial numbered part in the Ruger, so it's an FFL exchange to change the barrel. It's not hard to remove the barrel, after field stripping the pistol, you just pound it off with a plastic hammer.
[/quote]
Johnwill, You're talking about taking the barrel/receiver assembly off of the grip frame. This is not the same as changing just the barrel. I think the barrel is threaded into the receiver.

Joefo
Old April 29, 2000, 04:57 PM   #5
johnwill

That's news to me and Ruger. I'm holding one of my MK-II's in my hand, and it's sure not obvious how I'd take the barrel apart without a carbide cutting wheel.

From the Ruger Manual:

"The Barrel-Receiver of the Ruger Automatic Pistol is an integrated assembly, therefore, the barrel alone is not available as a separate component part.

On close examination of the barrel-receiver, it does appear that it was manufactured as two chunks of metal, but I sure don't see how you'd ever get them apart without destroying both of them.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I think the barrel is threaded into the receiver. [/quote]

Here's a question for you, have you ever taken one apart?

[This message has been edited by johnwill (edited April 29, 2000).]
Old April 29, 2000, 05:24 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

On the Ruger, the barrel is screwed into the receiver and can be removed. But Ruger considers the barrel-receiver as a permanent assembly and does not sell barrels separately. Note I said "receiver". This is the tublar part behind the barrel in which the bolt rides. The part with the handle is the grip frame, not the receiver.

If you want a different barrel length, Ruger will do the work. Call or write them.

As for serial number location, there is some precedent on the Luger, where BATF considers the receiver number as the serial number because the barrel-receiver unit can be fired without the grip frame. This is not true on the Ruger, but Ruger serial numbers the receiver anyway, mainly because numbering the light steel grip piece would create problems.

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited April 29, 2000).]
Old April 29, 2000, 06:01 PM   #7
johnwill

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Keenan:
On the Ruger, the barrel is screwed into the receiver and can be removed. But Ruger considers the barrel-receiver as a permanent assembly and does not sell barrels separately.[/quote]

You're probably right, but I suspect that taking them apart is not for the faint of heart. It looks like a lot of work to get them properly assembled and aligned. Of course, since you can't buy the barrel anyway, I'm not sure why you'd attempt to disassemble them.

Old April 29, 2000, 06:33 PM   #8
Joefo

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnwill:
That's news to me and Ruger. I'm holding one of my MK-II's in my hand, and it's sure not obvious how I'd take the barrel apart without a carbide cutting wheel.

From the Ruger Manual:

"The Barrel-Receiver of the Ruger Automatic Pistol is an integrated assembly, therefore, the barrel alone is not available as a separate component part.

On close examination of the barrel-receiver, it does appear that it was manufactured as two chunks of metal, but I sure don't see how you'd ever get them apart without destroying both of them.

Here's a question for you, have you ever taken one apart?

[This message has been edited by johnwill (edited April 29, 2000).]
[/quote]
johnwill, No, I have'nt taken one apart personally but have seen them in 2 pieces Up at Gunparts. They did have some barreled receivers as well as replacement barrels a while back. Believe me, they do come apart.

Joefo