The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2009, 01:32 PM   #1
awbrock

Newbie..Lots of questions..What's best a tumbler or chemical brass cleaner? A Scale?

Hi guys,

I'm new to reloading, I just received my L-n-L AP press from Midway (ordered on 12-27-08)wow a 3 month wait, I'm buying a few items as money premits. I have the press and dies a couple pounds of powder and a few hundred primers. I know I need a good scale not sure which one to get. I also need some sort of case cleaning equipment. Should I go with a vibratory system or the chemical ones like Iosso? Also am I going to need a case trimer and all of those gadgets? Powder Cop die? Not sure what else.

I'm reloading 357/38 45acp 30-06 223 eventualy 270win and 30-30

I noticed on Midway's website you can use a number 1 shell plate for 45acp but it says it will be a little loose. Is it worth the extra $ to get a number 45 shell plate (recomended by Hornady) ?

Please shine some light my way!
Thanks,
ab
Old March 26, 2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Shoney

awbrock
WELCOME TO TFL!!!

I know I need a good scale not sure which one to get.
I had a 505, but when I got the 10-10, the 505 was never used again. I found the electronic scales to be a bother for powder measuring, but hand for case weighing and bullet weighing.

Should I go with a vibratory system or the chemical ones like Iosso?
Get the vibratory. (no recommendation on brand.) I tried all sorts of chemical cleaning methods, however, the first time I used a vibratory cleaner, the room became a blinding white, an orchestra with lots of harps played, angels sang, and life was good.

You will need to trim all bottleneck cartridges sooner or later, but I have never trimmed brass for auto pistols. Wheel gun brass usually is inspected for uniformity and only trimmed if they are varying greatly.

I noticed on Midway's website you can use a number 1 shell plate for 45acp but it says it will be a little loose. Is it worth the extra $ to get a number 45 shell plate (recomended by Hornady) ?
I use the #1, but had to customize it. Use the #1 first, then decide.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 26, 2009, 03:21 PM   #3
dlb435

Nice press, I'm sure you're going to like it.
Get the tumbler, Franklin Arsenel is the cheapest and works fine
Get the shell plate for the 45. A good fit is important in a progesive press.
The 10-10 scale is great but the 5-10 scale uses the same micometer adjustment and cost far less. The 10-10 scale comes with an extra weight for heavy items. You will not need it.
Old March 26, 2009, 07:14 PM   #4
wncchester

"I know- I did it again! Arrrrgh!

Last edited by wncchester; March 26, 2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: double post
Old March 26, 2009, 07:16 PM   #5
wncchester

"I know I need a good scale not sure which one to get. I also need some sort of case cleaning equipment. Should I go with a vibratory system or the chemical ones like Iosso?"

"Best". of anything is a relitive term, not an absolute. A lot depends on what you like and a lot of that depends on how you use it. But, If you judge by what most of us use you really can't go wrong, IMHO.

MOST of use prefer vib tumbers and common fine grit media, either cob or nut and cheap, ammonia free, auto polish.

Digital scales are a current fad for some but MOST of us are sticking with our tried and true beam scales. Any such scale is good if you use it correctly, but if you don't, none of them are much good!
Old March 26, 2009, 08:46 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Digital scales are a current fad for some but MOST of us are sticking with our tried and true beam scales. Any such scale is good if you use it correctly, but if you don't, none of them are much good!
Took the words out of my mouth. Couldn't agree more. I like RCBS 5-0-5 scale just fine that came with my RockChucker Supreme kit. It's been very reliable and easy to use. Any model equivalent or above will do fine. If your budget allows, don't cheap out and get the Lee. It's an accurate scale, but it's difficult to manipulate the tenths portion.

I prefer the .45ACP shellplate. It fits snugly, yet doesn't allow the cases to bind during the reloading process.

If you're not looking to get into serious competition, Lee makes an economical case trimmer setup that trims cases to SAAMI specs. Very easy to setup and use. Like Shoney stated, I've rarely trimmed pistol brass but rifle gets trimmed on a regular basis.

Depending on how you want your brass to look, either the Iosso or a vibratory tumbler will work. I personally have a wacky process that probably is overkill....but I digress. Using a walnut media for heavy cleaning followed by corn media for polishing will work great. There's several tips for the actual process, but I won't bore you unless you want to know. If you only want to have your brass cleaned, don't care for shine, and on a tight budget, then dishwashing soap will do just fine in a five gallon bucket with water. If you only listen to one piece of advice, it's this: STAY AWAY FROM AMMONIA BASED POLISHES AND CLEANING AGENTS!

I'm not a fan of the powder cop die...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 26, 2009, 10:09 PM   #7
Teuthis

Go to a site such as Midway.com, look up each item and read the user evaluations. That will give you a good idea as to quality and functionality. You cannot go wrong with Redding or RBCS hardware. I am sure others are excellent too. Read a lot about them before you make a choice. We all have our favorites. Good Luck!
Old March 26, 2009, 10:53 PM   #8
DWARREN123

I use and like tumblers.
Should not need to trim straight walled pistol cases but you probably will on bottle neck rifle cases.
The correct shell plate will make you happy.
I use the Lee beam balance scale that came with my Lee Anniversary Kit and am happy with it but a electronic scale with trickler would be very nice.
Old March 26, 2009, 11:37 PM   #9
awbrock

I appreciate all of the great information, I'll be bugging you guys a good bit, if you don't mind.

Thanks again,
ab
Old March 27, 2009, 12:43 AM   #10
HiBC

Different strokes and all...

I do not place any value on shining brass up to look like military insignia.
I thave a thumbler vibratory.Works for me.

I am after one thing,removing dirt and grit.For that,I use walnut hulls,plain.

I use plain corncob to remove lube.

I have been using my Ohaus 10-10 for about 30 years.Good scale

While many folks happily use compounds,I prefer not to introduce abrasives or chemicals to the process.But,thats just me.