The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 1, 2006, 09:01 PM   #1
dannyd

dominant eye/hand

I'm an old guy but new to guns. I was just given a Savage 12 ga. pump Home Defense shotgun and have a question. My dominant hand is my right but my dominant eye is my left; consequently, when I aim down the barrel from the right side I can't line up the front sight with the rear. If I put the gun to my left shoulder I can correctly sight it but it feels very awkward. Even if I leave both eyes open I still cannot align the sights from the right side. Furthermore, I can only blink my right eye. (I know - [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]?)

Should I just learn to shoot from the left side or maybe just let my wife do the shooting?

thanks for any imput.
dannyd
Old May 1, 2006, 10:47 PM   #2
mtnboomer

Believe it or not Dan, your not the only person with this problem. It is quite common and a situation that needs to be solved in a way that best suits you. You need to experiment with your shotgun to find the most accurate way you shoot it - then adapt your mind to it. It will take time, but it will be worth it in the long run. Good luck!

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old May 1, 2006, 11:17 PM   #3
hoghunting

One of the things I learned was to slightly close the left eye. The right eye will become dominant and you still have your peripherial vision. Just keep closing your left eye until the right eye takes over.
Old May 1, 2006, 11:21 PM   #4
Kato_Guy

i had the same problem i am right handed and left eye dominant. i shot left handed from ae 13-20. i bought a bow and i forced myself to shoot right handed and now i have been shooting right handed with my guns now too you can train yourself to switch over. or at least i could. i can still close my right eye more comfortably but shooting with the right hand outweighs my eye dominance. i think if you get out and practice forcing yourself to close your left eye it will come. i want to say i put tape over the left eye of some sun glasses to help me get started on closing that eye, or get used to looking out of my right eye only. but if its for home defense with buck shot you prolly don't have to be dead on anyway!!!!
Old May 2, 2006, 10:06 AM   #5
bgoldhunter

I don't have any problem with rifles, but while shotgunning, I do what hoghunting does. My success rate is very high while doing so...but every off season I threaten myself to switch to lefty with no success.
Old May 2, 2006, 04:42 PM   #6
Freakdaddy

Dan,
Your right eye may be weak, like mine. I have the same cross dominance as you but my right eye wants to turn in slightly so I've never been able to focus on sights and a target shooting right handed. I didn't even know it was doing this until an Optometrist told me at my eye exam.

I actually find it to be advantageous sometimes. It's easier to reload and work the action (not so much with pumps but with semi-auto's) and you have your stronger arm holding the forearm of the gun. Maybe it's me but when I've tried to shoot my rifles right handed, the crosshairs would be more unsteady with my left hand supporting the rifle. The only thing that sucks is the crossbolt safety on so many firearms. Definately not "Southpaw" friendly. That's why I like Brownings with the tang safety.

Practice shooting left handed. Make sure your gun is unloaded and cleared and practice shouldering it at home. Pretty soon it will become natural to you and shooting right hand will just feel downright "wierd" .

Also, let the wife shoot too. I'm glad I taught my wife to shoot. Best shooting partner I've ever had...next to my Dad.

Alan
Old May 2, 2006, 06:07 PM   #7
fairview mick

Left eye dominant

I did trap shooting for forty some years and met a lot of people that had that problem. They did one of two things. One was to put a patch over the glasses of the dominant eye, or just close the left eye and shoot one eyed. There were some very, very good one eyed shooters. When I shot one eyed, I was ninth in the state of Ohio in hadicap shooting. It can be very easily overcome. Go to the trap or skeet field and do much practice.
Mickey
Old May 2, 2006, 07:11 PM   #8
razorburn

Maybe it's just me, but I can switch back and forth while keeping both eyes open. I'm normally right handed, and right eye dominant. But if I put a rifle to my left shoulder, I can still quickly adjust my eyes while keep both eyes open, and shoot left handed, lining up the sights with my left eye. I'm guessing it can be learned, mine's probably from all those years as a kid looking at those magic eye posters and books.
Old May 2, 2006, 08:52 PM   #9
dannyd

hand-eye confusion

Thanks guys for all the thoughtful responses. I think what I'll try is to follow Freakdaddy's advice and just shoot left-handed until it feels somewhat natural.
Good stuff - thanks again.
danny d
Old May 3, 2006, 04:33 AM   #10
djsmiles

i too, am a righty that is left eye dominant. it might seem odd at first, but you'll get used to shooting lefty. practice, practice, practice.
Old May 3, 2006, 05:38 PM   #11
sparkysteve

I'm right-handed, but left eye dominant. I found out when I couldn't hit anything when I started shooting at a young age. I shoot left. Rifles, shotguns, pistols, and bow. Now it feels akward to shoot right. I just takes some getting used to. I believe you should use your best eye to aim. Just teach a different finger to pull the trigger.

Dont tread on me.
Old May 3, 2006, 09:25 PM   #12
dannyd

hand/eye

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I appreciate them all.
danny d