The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 15, 2012, 11:20 PM   #26
BIG P

Ruger works for me no matter bolt or semi.
Old January 16, 2012, 12:48 PM   #27
603Country

I'd go for the bolt action and not worry too much about any followup shots. In the last couple of years, there have been a couple of times when pig hunting that I wished I'd had a semi, but that second shot usually is a lower percentage shot. On the coyotes, I shot doubles 3 or 4 times in 2011, and the second shot was always a non-running shot. It seems that if you see the male/female pair, shoot the one following. The lead coyote almost always runs a short distance to the edge of the woods, stops and looks back. Of course I may have now shot all the dumb ones. If I was in the market for a 223 bolt gun for coyotes, I'd go for a short barreled lightweight version like the Remington Model 7 or something similar from Sako, Ruger, Savage, Winchester, etc. One more thing of interest if you're a picky reloader is that with the Bolt gun you have a better chance of keeping your highly prepped brass. After the first shot, I rotate the rifle so that the ejection goes down, not out to the right. I hate losing my brass.