The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 11, 2013, 05:37 PM   #1
ZIA

Fast Help

Am I in the wrong or is this individual ignorant?

I'm the Managing Member of a FFL holding LLC, it's my signature on the FFL.

I've been shipping out long guns & handguns via USPS but today there was a woman up there there claiming to be the boss that wouldn't let me ship any firearms.

I had my 1508s, a copy of my FFL & copies of the FFLs of the recipients but wasn't allowed to ship.

I've shipped from this location before & they even provided me with the 1508s.

Is there any literature or code I can bring up there & show her? I have a few customets waiting on items that should've been shipped today.

I'd appreciate any help
Old April 11, 2013, 05:40 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

How about this: http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm
Old April 12, 2013, 07:08 AM   #3
ZIA

Thank you sir, that's exactly what I was looking for. I hope this works now...
Old April 12, 2013, 10:52 AM   #4
dajowi

Whenever I hear about these types of encounters, it makes me wonder if someone's personal bias is doing the talking. Firearms are under attack on all quarters.
Old April 14, 2013, 01:21 PM   #5
ZIA

That's exactly what I was thinking. I had encounters with this same woman 2 days in a row at 2 different post offices & both times she refused to even look at the postal code. The 1st time I shipped everything via UPS & took a pretty big loss ($60-70+ per handgun on shipping) the 2nd time I was able to make it out to a farther post office where they shipped everything no problem. They didn't know what they were doing but they pulled out the postal code book & I showed them the section I was sent ^ above & they complied. I printed it out & highlighted it to bring it to that woman since I don't want myself or employees traveling the extra miles when we should be able to send from our local post office, unfortunately she wasn't there that day.

I tried calling USPS' 1800 # to file a complaint but they were worthless, if anyone has any suggestions on this I would appreciate it.

I don't expect postal employees, not even the post master, to know everything about their job but when I try to show you in your own book what the rules are & you refuse to look, that's where I have a big problem.
Old April 14, 2013, 06:28 PM   #6
imabmwnut

Being a career postal service employee I'm not one for throwing a fellow employee under the bus. That being said,please understand that the post office is undergoing a lot of changes due to the way we have been mismanaged. Go to the post office where this happened and ask to see the customer service manager. If they are unavailable ask to see the postmaster. Have your documents from the DMM ( domestic mail manual) and inform them of what happened. There are a lot of employees working there now that are not career employees and do not have all the proper training. Also ask for a customer complaint form. We do want your business as it pays our wages. Contrary to popular belief we are not paid with tax dollars.
Old April 14, 2013, 09:20 PM   #7
ZIA

This woman said she that she is the post master & I did go back there with the postal code that was sent earlier in this thread. I even highlighted the relevant sections. Unfortunately she wasn't there, however I did leave it with a very helpful individual (who I had shipped firearms out with before) and he said he would get it to her.

I understand that there is no one that knows everything about their job but when I politely ask her if I can show her the postal code which permits this and she still refuses, it's unacceptable. I will definitely be asking for a customer complaint form though, thank you for that information.
Old April 14, 2013, 09:59 PM   #8
OcelotZ3

Sorry for your difficulties.

Employees not understanding or even wanting to understand their "product" are not unique to the USPS.

I bought a BMW and when I called them up to complain about something not working (speed sensitive volume control), they said "that car doesn't have that feature". So I had them look at the sales brochure where it stated it did and they still said "no, it doesn't have that". So I then sent them to the instruction manual which shipped with the car and they said "no, the car doesn't have that feature". I gave them a number of an internal BMW bulletin which BMW sent out due to the number of people who had the same problem as I did and they refused to look it up in their system. It wasn't until I was able to find a copy of one, showed up with it printed out & highlighted, and refused to leave, that they decided to try and fix the problem with the feature that "didn't exist" in my car. It worked fine after they made the repair.

Some people might be showing their biases (USPS woman), others are just stupid & poor employees.