The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2008, 11:10 AM   #1
Inspector3711

The "can't find some primers for the .25-06 blues"

Did I pick the worst time in history to try my hand at reloading? I went to Sportsmans Warehouse last night to buy components. I'm going to work up varmint loads for the .25-06. I go to the primer area and they are out of primers for large and small rifle. Next to the shotgun primers I found one 100 count box of large rifle primers but they're magnum CCI's and I wasn't shopping for magnums. I bought them anyway (out of desperation) after talking to a guy at the gun counter. He said there isn't even an estimate on when more primers will be available. They were out of large pistol too. I was lucky to find 50 pieces of Winchester brass (I bought the last of it) and a pound of powder. I'll be using Varget to push a 75 grain vmax and a 87 grain sierra varminter. Anybody tried magnum primers with the .25-06 before?
Old April 16, 2008, 07:01 PM   #2
WCW

Magnum primers should work fine for you. One of my all time favorite and best shooting varmint loads utilizes a magnum primer and H414 powder with a 75 grain Hornady HP. It’s an absolute tack-driving load in my Sendero.
Old April 16, 2008, 07:12 PM   #3
Master Blaster

www.powdervalleyinc.com

Very good to deal with fast shipping good prices, you do have to pay a $20 hazmat fee so stock up on powder and primers get 8 lbs and 5000 primers!!
Old April 16, 2008, 07:32 PM   #4
CrustyFN

+1 for Powder Valley. They are very fast. It's best if you can include others in the order so you can order 50,000 primers to help spread out the hazmat fee. Graf's is also good to deal with.
Rusty
Old April 16, 2008, 07:32 PM   #5
Inspector3711

Great news WCW.. I figured it might be okay, I've read that it works fine in some rifles somewhere in the past... Let's see about mine (25 year old Interarms Mark X). As far as buying in bulk mail order, I'm new to the game and have a tight budget. Strictly small time for now with 70 cases and 200 bullets to work with. I'll be buying small quantities at least for now. Between equipment and components I'm going broke (gas prices:barf and I still need dies and components for the .223 too. The items I bought last night I priced a week and a half ago and budgeted for. Wrote them down and put them in my wallet. I went $20 over. What was $130 1.5 weeks ago was $150 last night! They're killin me!! Brass went up 3 bucks and powder went up 2. I'm trying to get loads worked up for 2 different bullets to use in the .25-06 and one or two for the .223 in time for a trip in June to Nevada varminting (my first time)

Off to size some brass!
Old April 16, 2008, 07:38 PM   #6
Aviatuer

+2 for Powder Valley, my go-to place for anything that goes bang.
Old April 17, 2008, 12:07 AM   #7
Inspector3711

I worked up 5 test loads for the 75 grain vmax and 5 for the 87 grain Sierra spitzer. This weekend I'll shoot them and look for signs of pressure as I work my way from the starting loads up through max. Should be fun.

Thanks again guys.
Old April 17, 2008, 01:04 AM   #8
tom234

Sportsman's Warehouse is hit or miss. A store manager told me store expansion has exceeded supplies. You can't expect to get all your componets this week to reload this weekend anymore. You might try Sportco in Fife.
Old April 17, 2008, 07:15 AM   #9
CowTowner

Too bad the expansion didn't work in the DFW Metroplex. We lost our Sportsman's Warehouse. Closed on 01/31/2008.
I really miss that place. It was worth the hassle on the freeways to drive there from Fort Worth.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old April 17, 2008, 11:13 AM   #10
ryalred

I've had trouble finding what I need at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Oklahoma City. My little pawn/gun shop in my local community is much more consistent in having what I need at not too bad a price either. I have no problem getting any primer I want there.

Last edited by ryalred; April 17, 2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Left out a sentence.
Old April 17, 2008, 11:15 AM   #11
Inspector3711

Tom, a guy at work was telling me about that place. I had heard about it opver the years but somehow never made my way down there. I pass through Fife on my way to see either one of my parents in Oregon 3-4 times a year minimum. I need to run out to Fife soon I guess. These 100 primers won't go very far and I'll need more before you know it. Sportsmans is closer but I guess they can't keep their stores stocked. I wish the new Cabelas store was closer. With gas prices so high it isn't worth the drive from Maple Valley unless you're doing a major amount of shopping.
Old April 18, 2008, 08:46 PM   #12
115scott

I have been using CCI mag primers for several years with my 25-06 and 87 gr Hornady bullets. Never tried mag primers with the Varget powder. I did load up some 75 gr Vmax and Varget for my son's 25-06 (not mag primers though). The first coyote he shot couldn't even be sold. It had one side totally blown out.
Old April 21, 2008, 09:05 AM   #13
Inspector3711

Well it worked and I didn't lose any fingers! The hottest loads passed testing with no pressure signs to the case.
I worked up 20 rounds with each bullet yesterday. 10 with the second lowest and 10 more with the 3rd. Next weekend we'll see what the groups look like. Maybe I'll get lucky and nail it without having to go to the higher loads. I did feel some measure of satisfaction that my ammo worked. The max load with the 87 grain sierra was dead center in the bull!
Old April 21, 2008, 04:51 PM   #14
The Lovemaster

Sierra bullets are renowned for their accuracy, and Hornadys aren't too shabby either. Welcome to the world of the pursuit of accuracy!
Old April 23, 2008, 09:48 PM   #15
Inspector3711

Thanks for the welcome! I've been wanting to get into this for 25 years or so... It's about time! Picked up a rock tumbler with 2 3lb cans at Harbour Freight tonight. I'm interested in Gemstones too so this baby will be working alot between stones and brass... I have one loaded with .25-06 and the other with .223 brass. I'm using walnut shell from the pet store (thanks TFL for that money saver) with Wenol polish mixed in. They are in the garage becoming shiney right now. I have to get a case trimmer next...
Old April 24, 2008, 08:45 AM   #16
ginshun

I use magnum primers with 30-06,.257 Weatherby mag. and some loads for the 22-250 even and have never had a problem. Should be fine in the 25-06.

From what I have read magnum primers don't usually make a difference in rifle calibers unless you are realoading them in something really small. The pistol calibers is where you have to be extra carful as magnum primers can send your pressure way up.

I have never really experimented that much with different primers though, so I am far from an expert on the subject.