The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 18, 2009, 12:59 PM   #1
champ198

any opinions on the Tarus Gaucho?

lookin for some opinions on these guns if possible.....lookin for a pair of SAA 357 for Cowboy Action Shooting......saw they have a transfer bar similar to the Ruger Vaqueros i assume....so would think they would be a well made gun.....also the Lifetime warrenty makes me lean very hard towards them vs the Navy Arms 1873 replicas i was looking at

any one have any opinions on these Guachos?
Old May 18, 2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Pahoo

Do not personaly own one but have shot my buddy's. He had some problems with his and attributed to the transfer bar. Had more that it's share of mis-fires. Recommended that he sent it back to repairs and I'm sure Taurus would have corrected the problem but he chose to remove the transfer bar. It was afterwards that I shot it without any issues. Thought it handled great and shot equally well. Finish was good and price is right. I do not know if this is a common problem with these !! ...

Be Safe !!!!
Old May 18, 2009, 02:21 PM   #3
ZeSpectre

Don't do it.

I had three, all three eventually developed problems.
My "pard" had two, both developed problems.

Taurus developed that gun to get into the CAS market but it's just not solid enough for such heavy use.

There's a laundry list of issues that folks have had but the worst are that the springs get weak fast and the transfer bars aren't always machined right causing light strikes and even worse they have a bad habit of developing nasty "trigger slap" which stings like hell and eventually breaks parts.

I loved the way mine felt, looked, and handled, but the functionality was a nightmare.

some other (older) discussions
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=198789

http://www.topix.com/forum/guns/T87VE9RK81QTHM0BR

Last edited by ZeSpectre; May 18, 2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old May 18, 2009, 03:10 PM   #4
olyinaz

The New Vaqueros are so nice I'm not sure I see draw to this thing. Heck, I've got a Stampede and although I like it more than the Tarus, if I had to do it over I'd get a Ruger before I'd get another Stampede. So I guess if you've found a smoking deal on one then that matters but otherwise I'm just not sure it's a compelling product.

Best,
Oly
Old May 18, 2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Gaucho Gringo

I have had mine going on 3 years now with no problems. It is a .357, 5.5" barrel, and is blued. I love the silky smooth action and the finish. I have probably put 1,000 rounds through mine. I have read all the info on the internet with the problems people had with them and most of the problem ones were .45. You are looking for .357 so statistically you should have better luck with them.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old May 18, 2009, 06:28 PM   #6
Keltyke

I have a Gaucho chambered in .45LC. It's been flawless and a fun gun to shoot. It's a couple hundred dollars lower than the competition.