The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 26, 2015, 08:38 PM   #1
Siggy-06

CZ 85 Combat

Been looking at a few steel/alloy frame 9mm's lately. I have a nice C series Hi Power that's from the 60's that I don't want to shoot too much. I looked at the CZ SP-01, lots of great reviews, however I don't think I'll ever use the rails. The 75B looks great as well. I came across the 85 combat, I like the fact it comes with adjustable sights, is ambidextrous, and has drop free magazines. It's a little more costly than the 75B/Omega. Is the 85 combat just as good or better than the 75B?
Old February 26, 2015, 09:15 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

The 75B is, in effect, a new pre-B. It doesn't have a firing pin block, and that can give you a better trigger, when tuned (if it needs tuning.) In addition to the adjustable sights (which are so - so sights), it has an extended mag release, a trigger that can be adjusted for over-travel, and ambidextrous safeties.

(As I understand it, the adjustable sights were installed to allow the gun to meet the strange U.S. Government import restrictions. The lack of a firing pin block lost it points, while the adjustable sights gained it points... a sort of wash. It's all about getting the right number of points for it to be OK for import.)

Except for the firing pin block, it's basically an ambidextrous 75B with a couple of minor refinements.

I have one in satin nickel, which I consider CZ's best finish. (I'd consider the same gun in matte stainless if they ever make one...)

I think (but am not sure) that the larger, easier-to-use safety levers from the SA guns can be installed on the 85 Combat... and if you think you'll do SA much, that would be a nice addition. (You can also convert it to SA only, and install the two-way adjustable trigger, which is also adjustable for take-up.)

If you can find one for a reasonable price, the Kadet Kit (a .22 upper) can be a real tack driver when installed on the Combat (or on any 75-series frame.)

I've had a LOT of CZs over the years, and the 85 Combat is the only CZ I've kept. (Mine was the second one I bought...)
Old February 26, 2015, 09:49 PM   #3
dusty14u

I've had a Combat for about 6 yrs now. Mine is in matte nickel finish and I put some Marschal grips on it but haven't done anything else to it. Mine has been extremely reliable and is one of most accurate pistols. I think the trigger is way better than the 75B and the mags are easily found. It conceals as easily as a 5" 1911 and has good magazine capacity.

I would highly recommend one over a 75 but that is just my own opinion.
Old February 27, 2015, 10:28 AM   #4
Brutus

Have had mine for about two years and absolutely love it. Has turned me into such a CZ fan I went out an bought a PCR, now I can't make up my mind which I like better. Never shot a 75B so I can't compare them.
Old February 28, 2015, 11:24 AM   #5
axismatt

I love my CZ75, and my buddy bought the 85 due to being a lefty (right hand damage). Both are such strikingly good guns, right out of the box, that shooting anything else is just novelty. My 75 is bone stock and the DA/SA pull measures 11/6 pounds respectively, while my friend installed a lighter main spring and now both DA and SA are much improved. Best $14 ever spent.

Because they aren't as prevalent as other brands, there's the fun factor of people taking notice at the range. Even better, is when we let them empty a few mags. The expression is always the same... WOW.

Don't get the omega... you can research the reasons on your own, but generally it's worth the extra money for the 75 or 85.
Old February 28, 2015, 11:32 AM   #6
axismatt

Quote:
(As I understand it, the adjustable sights were installed to allow the gun to meet the strange U.S. Government import restrictions. The lack of a firing pin block lost it points, while the adjustable sights gained it points... a sort of wash. It's all about getting the right number of points for it to be OK for import.)
Hey Walt, have you noticed that CZ offers strange options based on finish? For example, the 75 in blue is a right handed gun, but in nickle, it has ambi controls (or basically a 85 without the adjustable sights). Is this due to the point system you described?
Old February 28, 2015, 01:46 PM   #7
Pilot

I have always wanted an 85 Combat. Grab it, as you don't see them often. But, of course I want an SP-01, P-01 (to keep my PCR company ), a 97B, a 75B Retro.......and several of their rifles.
Old February 28, 2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by axismatt
Hey Walt, have you noticed that CZ offers strange options based on finish? For example, the 75 in blue is a right handed gun, but in nickle, it has ambi controls (or basically a 85 without the adjustable sights). Is this due to the point system you described?
I don't think so... as guns equipped with the firing pin block (any "B" model) don't need the points.

Perhaps you've seen another combo I've not seen...

But -- CZ does offer their stainless guns with ambi-safeties, and I wonder if that's what you saw. (The matte stainless would look a bit like satin nickel.) These guns also have the extended beavertail and, I think, the reversible mag releases.

I've seen satin nickle 75Bs, but not with ambi-safeties.
Old February 28, 2015, 05:32 PM   #9
axismatt

I think you're right on the matte stainless. I can't think of them right now, but there are other models that are configured differently based on finish. Same model, but certain features are only available in certain finishes. Strange.
Old February 28, 2015, 07:40 PM   #10
WIL TERRY

My CZ85combat has been a superb 9MM pistol. It's never malfed a round and shots damn near as well as my SIG P210-5 out at 50 meters. NOTHING about it displeases me.
And so it goes...
Old February 28, 2015, 08:11 PM   #11
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by axismatt
I can't think of them right now, but there are other models that are configured differently based on finish. Same model, but certain features are only available in certain finishes. Strange.
You're right about a strange mix of features and finishes; and CZ continues to offer unusual, one-ofs (or few-ofs) from time to time. In years past you'd see a semi-compact from time to time -- full size frame with compact slide... and an alloy-framed Compact (normally steel framed only.) Things slip out of the factory!!

There was even a small run of nickel-plated 97Bs several years ago.

Going with ambi-controls requires different frames, so that's a BIGGER issue:
  • The frame used in the 85B is different from the 75B full-size gun.
  • The frame used in the 85 Combat is different than the 85B, and the slide rib behind the dovetail has been cut back to allow the adjustable sight to crank down lower.
  • The frame used in the 9mm and .40 Single Action 75Bs are different (with extended beavertails) than the standard 75B frame.
  • The frame used in the stainless models are very similar to the SA 75Bs, but are made of different steel. Like the SA models, they also have the extended beavertail and reversible mag releases.
  • The SA guns also have slides different than the other 75Bs, and the 9mm and .40 slides are different from each other. Both have extended rails on the slide (which may or may not actually work), and the .40 uses a full-length guide rod which requires an opening on the front of THAT slide.

There are several other full-sized frames, for the many variants of the SP-01s, and a polymer full-sized frame, too... And then there's the larger Tactical Sport line, etc.

CZ seems to be constantly constantly mixing and matching. When they do duo-tone guns, you never know what to expect: blued slides, polycoat semi-gloss, and some sort of matte finish I've only seen in photos, but which may be a different polycoat, etc.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; March 1, 2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old March 1, 2015, 05:01 AM   #12
chris in va

...and that's just what is available in the US. You should see the beauties offered overseas. Good Lord.