The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2013, 12:30 PM   #1
S_Constitutionist

Shorten OAL, or pull?

I am loading 230gr LRN over 5.2gr of Winchester 231 in .45 ACP. They are loaded to around 1.272" OAL, which is a bit too long. I have shot factory ammo that was this length so I didnt think to chamber check them before making a decent size batch. I normally run 5.0-5.1gr at 1.265".

Though they fire just fine, the slide is having a difficult time fully closing. After 4 or 5 rounds I decided to hold off.

My question is, can I safely shorten the OAL to around 1.25-1.26 and use normally? I worked up this load from starting charge. Or, should I go ahead and burn an afternoon pulling them?

Hodgon lists max as: 5.3gr at 1.200" with the same bullet.
Old March 15, 2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I see no reason why you couldn't just shorten them, unless you've crimped them to the point that the case mouth is digging into the side of the bullet.

Of course, you should load some at the shorter length at a STARTING load and test up to the 5.2gr.

and you should start at the STARTING load for future loads.
Old March 15, 2013, 12:53 PM   #3
S_Constitutionist

Thats a good idea. I'll make a small work-up batch at the shorter OAL and test them first.

It was my own stupid mistake... I noticed the COL had drifted and since they were longer (lower pressure) I decided to ignore it.

Pulling 2-300 rounds isnt much fun, especially when the powder loves to stick in the gas checks.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:13 PM   #4
oldandslow

sc, 3/16/13

No problem shortening them as mentioned above. I've done it with FMJ's and lead cast with no adverse reactions.

Also you mentioned gas checks for your .45 cast bullets. Most times you do not need gas checks with .45acp lead bullets. They go so slow that it's not usually needed (I use 5.6 grains of W-231 under my 230 grain cast bullets giving me velocities in the low to mid 800 ft/second). Never any leading despite thousands of rounds downrange. With gas checks running 3-4 cents a piece and adding an extra step to reloading you can probably get by fine without them.

best wishes- oldandslow