The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 18, 2013, 06:07 AM   #1
pumkin

Cabelas - this happen to anyone else ??

I've had some 5.556 on backorder for a couple months. Well, been told a month ago I'd get part of it. Then delayed. So I'm thinking, OK, there in business for themselves, there not going to cough this up at the old price.
Then they charge my card and say there sending half of it. Shipment arrives empty. Box is totally empty, with a shipping weight of empty box. I call, they say they'll make good on this and send more out tommorrow. Now they say, sorry, ballgame is over, Sold out for season.
Old January 18, 2013, 06:15 AM   #2
UtopiaTexasG19

Never had the empty box routine done to me but did have some regular/nothing unusual .38 Special on backorder for 14 months with them before I cancelled the order with Cabelas.
Old January 18, 2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Alabama Shooter

Sounds to me like someone at the shipping center had some really light fingers.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:32 AM   #4
carguychris

Quote:
Then they charge my card and say there sending half of it. Shipment arrives empty. Box is totally empty, with a shipping weight of empty box.
Call the credit card company and tell them what happened. You are entitled to get your money back, or receive the goods you paid for.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:38 AM   #5
OPC

I've had Cabelas cancel orders on backordered items after about 8weeks of waiting. I've never had an empty box arrive.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:29 AM   #6
chiefr

Sounds fishy to me since the big tragedy had not happened fi you ordered a couple of months ago.
I for one do not buy from Cabelas any more. They are in the same category as Gander Mountain. High shipping costs, slow delivery, & exorbitant pricing.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Not Cabelas, but I have had Sportsmans Guide backorder an item (not ammo) and finally cancel the order.

Original order was to be a Christmas gift. When it was backordered, we bought it locally to have it in time for Christmas, but I decided to play out the backorder process and see where it went. Every month for the next eleven months they sent me a card, extending the backorder another month and offering me the option to cancel. I just kept extending. Meanwhile, the exact same jacket was showing up in their catalogs, under different names and with different stock numbers, but always at the same price. They could have sent me any of those ... but they didn't.

Finally, after they couldn't trick me into cancelling ... they cancelled.

I don't trust any of the big sellers, regardless of how good their reputation seems to be (even Cabelas).
Old January 18, 2013, 11:33 AM   #8
carguychris

Quote:
I for one do not buy from Cabelas any more. They are in the same category as Gander Mountain. High shipping costs, slow delivery, & exorbitant pricing.
FWIW I like Cabela's much better than GM; the trick is that I only buy things when they're having a good sale. Of course, in the current market conditions, that's probably not going to happen.
Old January 18, 2013, 01:22 PM   #9
pumkin

Dirty Business is what it is. I've heard several differnet stories in last 48 hrs. This is the story there giving now for when they burn you out of your backorder: " We've had a problem w/ our system for a while, weve been trying to correct it, but it's sending out empty orders. We are sorry, but the system won't allow us to resubmit the order, so we'll refund you your money, and you can keep the empty boxes for free." So if you have something on backorder, and the value has doubled, expect to hear a series of stories ending in there favor.
Old January 18, 2013, 01:31 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

Cabelas seems to have a problematic inventory system. I don't think there is any more to it than that. They have great deals at times.
Old January 18, 2013, 04:20 PM   #11
RickE

I have had pretty good luck with Midway, but they have almost no inventory currently, unless you have a 28g shotgun, or want handgun shotshells, or blanks! It will take some time as it did in 2008 to get back to "normal". Maybe our Pres will be impeached and speed up the recovery (in several ways).
Old January 18, 2013, 04:27 PM   #12
RobertInIowa

I've never had Cabelas fill a back order. Either they cancel them or it takes so many months I find what I want someplace else and cancel the order myself. My policy with Cabelas: in stock only.