The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 15, 2010, 10:33 PM   #1
oldcars

Custom adjustable sights on a Vaquero?

Has anyone ever owned/built a Ruger Vaquero (or other single action) with an adjustable rear sight? Yes, I realize that I could just buy a Blachawk, but I like the look of the rounder frame and front sight much better on a "traditional" looking single action (and I like custom guns). Plus, I have a couple gunsmith freinds with lots of expensive macines! mabe a S&W rear sight milled into the top strap? I know that a few comanies made lots of money doing Colt conversions many years ago......anyone got any pictures? Or how about pictures of a Blackhawk with the frame rounded?
Old March 15, 2010, 10:47 PM   #2
hickstick_10

hmmmmmmmmmmm you need to google Elmer Keiths pistols.

He had some neat looking colts done up with better sights that would be right up your alley
Old March 16, 2010, 02:34 AM   #3
Pathfinder45

Always trying to re-invent the wheel.......

The Vaquero has a perfect rear sight already. Don't mess with it. On the other hand, the front sight demands a bit of alteration. Nothing that can't be handled with a good file and some sight-paint, though.
Old March 16, 2010, 02:36 AM   #4
Pathfinder45

Always tying to re-invent the wheel......

The Vaquero has a perfect rear sight already. Don't mess with it. On the other hand, the front sight demands a bit of alteration. Nothing that can't be handled with a good file and some sight-paint, though.
Old March 16, 2010, 10:14 AM   #5
oldcars

Ah yes, re-inventing the wheel! Nothing wrong with that! I like custom stuff! I was looking at all the pistols in my safe and I think a slim little S&W J frame adjustable sight would work well if the slot was milled correctly into the top of a Vaquero, but I would most likely need to raise the front sight a little as well.
Old March 16, 2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Malamute

I've been thinking about doing a K frame Smith rear sight on a Ruger Vaquero, with a Colt Flat Top Target type front. I don't share the opinion that fixed sights are perfect.

I've also done a couple Blackhawks into flat tops. I like them better than the ears around the rear sight. I don't care at all for the huge wing of a front sight that Ruger uses on adjustable sight guns. I had one front sight made similar to the Colt Flat Top Target, tho the guy didnt follow my instructions when he made it (why is that so common with 'Smiths?). Another 'Smith is going to make me a few proper fronts, so I can replace the factory sights.

Rear sight detail on the 44. Has a steel rear sight also. I ground the top of the sight base to fit the frame when it was sighted in.

On the 45, (with the Rosewood grips) I used a steel rear sight, and filed the blade a little lower. Also filed the frame notch a little deeper, then ran the sight up a few clicks off bottom, and sighted in by filing the front to size. Close as I can tell, the front sight base size of the Colt Flat Top Targets is about:

Width .300"
Blade thickness .100"
Length .600"
Base height .250"
Overall height .500"

That's the numbers I'm giving my 'Smith to use anyway They work for Rugers.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Last edited by Malamute; March 16, 2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old March 16, 2010, 04:14 PM   #7
Jim March

Did somebody say "Vaquero with weird sights"?

Old March 16, 2010, 04:19 PM   #8
aarondhgraham

I'm just wondering why,,,

The Vaquero was designed with the cowboys (SASS & CAS) in mind,,,
The SAA's didn't have adjustable sights so they can't use sights in regular CAS matches.

But Ruger has the Blackhawk that always comes with adjustable sights,,,
I know they are not the "exact" same gun but they are sure close.

Then I remember I like custom leather,,,
Off the shelf leather is absolutely fine for performance,,,
So why do I insist on custom rigs for all of my stock fieryarms?

'Cause I want it,,,
That's why.

Answered my own question I did.

Have at it my friend,,,
Do what makes ya smile.
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 17, 2010, 12:21 AM   #9
Pathfinder45

Jim's gun

Jim, I gotta hand it to ya. You must be immune to ridicule. If that were my gun I'd be embarrassed. Still, I bet it shoots real well. If you can see the target through that tube, you can't miss, right? Fellas, I'm sorry about the accidental double-post. I tried to delete it but couldn't figure it out. Now the whole reason I prefer the smooth fixed rear sight of the Vaquero and SAA is their handling qualities: You can wrap your thumb around the top strap and as the gun is rotated or rolled forward the thumb slides right into and cocks the hammer in a fluid motion. Adjustable sights gouge and hang up on your thumb when you try this.
Old March 17, 2010, 06:29 AM   #10
mega twin

I have to go with 'form follows function'.

Fixed sights are fine if you go with one load that shoots to point of aim,but on some guns,if you don't reload,can be very expensive to find that one.
Rear adjustable sights,if being custom,can be smaller than the norm for easy single action cocking,and can also be de-horned.

I like Jims' ideas also.
Old March 17, 2010, 07:18 AM   #11
Jim March

I did all my own leatherwork of course to cope with that sight...came out pretty decent, esp. the holster.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2759/...d54a6d6680.jpg

The sight is a homebrew clone of:

http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/pdf/Handguns_2008June.pdf

...and by God it works. Target-focus instead of front-sight-focus changes *everything*. Best "iron" sights on the planet, bar none.
Old March 17, 2010, 11:28 AM   #12
zippy13

Jim,
It's an interesting concept. Is your hex an aperture or the length of the tube?
Old March 17, 2010, 01:25 PM   #13
Pathfinder45

Tranformer?

Jim, are you holdin' over to hit the power-lines? Maybe into the wind a little so's to take out the transformer? Nice to see some home-made leather work there. I dabble with that too. When I get my camera back I'll see if I can't post some pix of my Vaquero and holster too.
Old March 17, 2010, 01:41 PM   #14
L_Killkenny

I've thought about having a rear sight milled in on my fixed sight Single Six. Basically they hog out the existing rear sight area and drill and tap the top strap for installation. If done right the only visible part of the sight when veiwed from the side is the very back part.

Personally I wish Ruger would make a blackhawk with an adjustable rear and blade from. The front sight on adjustable blackhawks is butt ugly.

LK
Old March 18, 2010, 07:50 PM   #15
mk70ss

Vaquero with adjustable sights= Blackhawk in my book.
Old March 18, 2010, 08:30 PM   #16
Jim March

Zippy, the rear aperture is a 1/4" long section of 7mm socket. As an aside, I found a 7mm hex key a few days after taking that picture and was able to re-mount the aperture dead even rather than just slightly crooked as in that shot.

When sighting it I can't see the inside of the tube. The hex aperture forms a barrier that blocks it as long as I'm anywhere near dead on, and it's not AT ALL hard to hold it in line accurately even while focusing on the front sight.

Y'all can laugh but this is the best gunsight I've ever used.

If it's not clear yet: the reason for the full-length tube is to put both front and rear sights into shadow to get a "dead black" effect that's part of the Hexsite recipe. In a real Hexsite front'n'rear setup, he gets there with high-tech polymer coatings that don't glint. Lacking such, I used the tube both to get a shadow and to protect my front, which is a steel core originally from a fiber optic front sight layered in putty epoxy.

Funny thing is, I actually had to find a socket with the right OUTSIDE diameter (to fit inside the tube) and like an idiot didn't actually look at which actual socket it turned out to be prior to installation. So I had to check a bunch of different hex keys .