The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 14, 2000, 06:00 PM   #1
anodes

The thread on Western Hunters got me thinking; if you have a .223 Rem and a .30-06, which would you chose for a _third_ rifle?

This would be a "Plains Rifle"; mostly open shots @ deer (mules and whities), antelope, walking around kickin' tumbleweeds and maybe a shot a vagrant coyote.

I ask because in my crowded mind... it's a toss-up! Help me decide with your input.
anodes.
Old June 14, 2000, 10:04 PM   #2
muleshoe

Flip a coin. I've owned both and like both. I think the .270 will carry a bit more knock down power at longer ranges. The 25-06 probably doesn't have quite the felt recoil so you could get away with a little lighter rifle. There just isn't a bad answer to your question. They both will knock the carp out of any deer you care to shoot.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control
Old June 14, 2000, 11:01 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Having played with the .270 as well as my beloved '06, I'd say that the .270 is too much like the '06 to justify having both. I think that the .25-'06 would be more "in the middle". It would be a better varmint gun than the '06, and a better deer/antelope gun than the .223.

You'd do well to go to a loading book and check out choices of bullets, ballistic coefficients, and comparative velocities for the various cartridges. It'll help when making these judgements.

FWIW, there are a lot of cartridges which are not "popular" but which perform just as well as the latest "trick" goodie. Many of the cartridges of 40-75 years ago will work quite well if used in modern steel with modern powders and bullets.

Just as an example, in a bolt action rifle, the .300 Savage is just as good as a .308 for hunting. In the early days of the .308, when they measured chamber pressures in psi, it was loaded to 53,000. With factory loads in the '06 limited to 47,000 psi, the .308 looked just as good. When you load the '06 up to 53,000 psi, it's a "whole 'nother game". And so it goes. The point is that there are lots of cartridges in the 6mm to 6.5mm range that work well.

Have fun, Art

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited June 15, 2000).]
Old June 15, 2000, 11:19 AM   #4
anodes

Thanks Guys, As I said I felt it a toss up. I was thinking last night; what the heck, split the diff. and go with the .260 Rem!

Art, I agree. My first though is of the .257 Rob., also a contendah. Thanks again.
anodes.
Old June 15, 2000, 11:33 AM   #5
LoneStar

Can't imagine life without a .270

both calibers will do fine for whitetails (especially these little one down here in Texas), but for Mule deer I'd definately opt for the extra oompf of the .270
Old June 15, 2000, 12:24 PM   #6
anodes

Lonestar, I was drivin' my monster truck on one of my fav AZ forest roads (some are even nicer than the AZ Highways!) S. outa Winslow through "Chevlon Station", when I scared up this herd of Whitetails.

These little guys looked like long legged German Shepards! I can't imagine what centerfire wouldn't have been enough gun, at least at that range.

OTOH, I was driving the alt. route S. outa Winslow through "Chevlon Crossing" (F.R 405, I think.) when I came on this herd of Mulies. WOW! I knew they weren't Elk, but they looked as big, at least at that range!(Oops, now you know my secret!)

My thought is, versitility. Sure, 30-06 would do for all. But who wants one gun?
anodes.