The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 31, 2012, 09:26 AM   #1
mayosligo

Louisiana constitutional amendment

Thought this was worth some discussion as it seems Louisiana will be the first to add this language. Beyond making the language tougher I am not sure what else it safeguards against.

Proposed improvements to Article 1, Section 11 of the Louisiana Constitution, known as the Right to Keep and Bear Arms Amendment, would amend the Louisiana Constitution to state: “The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms is fundamental and shall not be infringed. Any restriction on this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny.” If Amendment 2 is accepted by the voters on November 6, Louisiana will have the strongest guarantee of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms in the nation.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/st...”-on-2!.aspx
Old October 31, 2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Strict Scrutiny is a BIG deal. It severely limits the governments ability to restrict a fundamental right. It is the standard for fundamental rights. Explicitly including that phrase firmly place the RKBA in the category of Fundamental Right.

Words like "infringed" have ambiguous meaning. Strict Scrutiny places a very high standard of compelling reason and minimal interference on any "infringement".
Old October 31, 2012, 11:16 AM   #3
zincwarrior

State laws won't trump federal laws however. In Louisiana's case, thats the real risk.
Old October 31, 2012, 12:14 PM   #4
aarondhgraham

Hello zincwarrior,,,

Quote:
State laws won't trump federal laws however.
I don't think anyone thinks it will trump federal laws,,,
Nor do I believe that was their intent.

From what I have read it is Louisiana's way to ensure that their local municipalities can't enact laws stronger than what the State has in effect.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 31, 2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I think it goes even beyond that, Aarond.

The requirements of Strict Scrutiny would apply to the state levels laws. I'm no lawyer, but to my understanding the very act of expressly applying Strict Scrutiny to firearms laws very nearly makes a Protected Class out of guns owners.

Strict Scrutiny gives the government the burden of proof. The necessity of the law. Any law is essentially PRESUMED to be invalid until proven otherwise. The government has to prove a compelling public interest.

Even if the government proves the necessity of the law, it is still essentially considered a burden on a fundamental right and the law must be tailored so as to be as absolutely narrow as possible, to limit the burden to the least possible level necessary to accomplish the compelling interest.

Scrict Scrutiny is not applied to any "normal" laws. It is reserved to issues of fundamental rights and protected classes. It puts the RKBA on the same level as the right to vote, free press and religion.
Old October 31, 2012, 03:43 PM   #6
Isk

I have to wonder how this will work out. The legislature is crossing boundaries with this. It's unusual to see legislators place the standard for review in the law using terms of the Supreme Court's own creation. A determination of what constitutes a fundamental right is usually the court's jurisprudence. I have to ponder whether or not a court might simply ignore that portion of the law that tells them how to review it. Then again, things in Louisiana are different (French civil law and all that) so it might work. Who knows.
Old October 31, 2012, 03:55 PM   #7
zincwarrior

Absent being a violation of the state's own constitutional or federal law, their court system can't ignore it legally. In reality courts are known for doing what they want though.
Old October 31, 2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Being that it's a constitutional amendment, it would difficult for it to be unconstitutional. It is possible but I believe it would have to be found to have either been created/passed inappropriately or be itself a violation of some other protected class type law.
Old October 31, 2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Isk

I guess the bigger concern is whether or not the legislature defined strict scrutiny in the amendment or the constitution. If not, what happens when the SCOTUS changes their definition of strict scrutiny?
Old November 1, 2012, 04:39 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarondgraham
From what I have read it is Louisiana's way to ensure that their local municipalities can't enact laws stronger than what the State has in effect.
???

It doesn't use the word "preempt," and it doesn't say anything about localities not enacting firearms laws/ordinances. So it can't stop a municipality or parish (what Louisiana uses for counties) from enacting a law that goes beyond what the state has in place.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:45 PM   #11
Crankgrinder

Im glad to see what happened before will not happen again, at least not there. Hopefully never anywhere else in our country, but i doubt it.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:46 PM   #12
Dr Big Bird PhD

But it would make it extremely hard to hold-up in court from a lawsuit.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old November 1, 2012, 08:15 PM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

http://www.hammondstar.com/articles/...nists/8121.txt

Another prof prefers to fight for his life by IPAD frisbee-fu.

Bah.
Old November 1, 2012, 09:28 PM   #14
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Another prof prefers to fight for his life by IPAD frisbee-fu.
He actually used the phrase "Jindal Machine." Hrm. This part pretty much wrecks Sherman's credibility as a debater:

Quote:
Amendment No. 2 is a lawyer’s paradise and a citizen’s hell. Riser’s retrograde bill now on the ballot makes me wonder if he’s just trying to drum up business for his funeral home. What a nasty way to increase profits.
In any case, I think it's a novel idea. If it passes, I guarantee it will be challenged, and the courts will have to answer the question of whether or not the RKBA is protected by the same standard of scrutiny as, say, political speech.

If so, the barn door's open.
Old November 1, 2012, 10:44 PM   #15
SHNOMIDO

Illinois next please...
Old November 6, 2012, 02:33 PM   #16
mayosligo

I will let you all know the results of this as it comes in.
Old November 6, 2012, 11:02 PM   #17
mayosligo

Looks like it will pass with over 70% in favor.
Old November 7, 2012, 10:17 AM   #18
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

The LA ballot measure to strengthen the States 2A right, has passed: http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...incart_m-rpt-2

There is at least some good news in the results of this election cycle!
Old November 7, 2012, 02:53 PM   #19
jgcoastie

That is truly great news. Hopefully other states will follow suit.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 7, 2012, 03:46 PM   #20
Glenn E. Meyer

I have deleted extreme profanity. I caution anyone else from such.

GEM
Old November 7, 2012, 09:44 PM   #21
seeker_two

Wonderful news! Will Texas be next?....
Old November 8, 2012, 10:54 PM   #22
mmb713

Most state constitutions already guarantee the right of the people to keep and bear arms, some even copying the Second Amendment verbatim (so much for it being for States to arm militias.) Article I, Section 6, of the Constitution of the State of Utah states: "The individual right of the people to keep and bear arms for security and defense of self, family, others, property, or the state, as well as for other lawful purposes shall not be infringed; but nothing herein shall prevent the Legislature from defining the lawful use of arms." I think we've got Louisiana beat, and for over twenty years now...
Old November 9, 2012, 11:05 AM   #23
carguychris

Quote:
Wonderful news! Will Texas be next?....
Considering that OC has withered on the vine during the last several legislative sessions, I doubt it.

Although the Dayne Sherman article in the Hammond Star is arguably anti-RKBA, IMHO it does correctly point out one prominent fact about LA Amendment 2- to a large degree, it theoretically takes away the ability of the legislature to pass gun control laws by handing broad authority to the courts.

One fact to remember about the TX legislature is that they have historically always guarded their power very jealously; that's why we have popularly elected judges and a relatively toothless governor. As I understand it, the only way the TX Constitution can be amended is if the amendment originates in the legislature. IMHO it's highly unlikely that the legislature will voluntarily hand over this much power to the courts, regardless of how many brownie points they will earn with pro-RKBA voters by doing it.

Last edited by carguychris; November 9, 2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Minor reword...
Old November 10, 2012, 04:15 PM   #24
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb713, Utah 2nd amendment
"The individual right of the people to keep and bear arms for security and defense of self, family, others, property, or the state, as well as for other lawful purposes shall not be infringed; but nothing herein shall prevent the Legislature from defining the lawful use of arms."
Good luck with allowing your legislature to define "the lawful use of arms". Better hope that enough Diane Feinstein type Californians don't move there to take advantage of it.

Louisiana's 2nd amendment used to be:

"The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on the person."

It now is:

“The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms is fundamental and shall not be infringed. Any restriction on this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny.”

Utah was behind for over 20 years even under the old version, and is even further back now!
Old November 10, 2012, 06:52 PM   #25
mmb713

"Good luck with allowing your legislature to define "the lawful use of arms". Better hope that enough Diane Feinstein type Californians don't move there to take advantage of it."

Don't think that will be a problem. We're talking about the same people that made the 1911 pistol the official state firearm for its 100th birthday. This past summer it was so dry here there were numerous wild fires started by people target shooting on public lands. They still wouldn't put a moratorium on shooting on public lands though. About the only things they restrict here is shooting across the highway and shooting while intoxicated. Utahans love their guns so much even the Democrats here are pro-gun. I actually wouldn't mind just enough Diane Feinstein types moving here to get them to change the liquor laws though.