The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 5, 2013, 01:20 PM   #26
4runnerman

Thanks Jay- Looking forward to it
Old November 5, 2013, 08:06 PM   #27
Jay24bal

Not Happy

Well, the pictures will have to wait. I installed the stock, and it needs to be returned to Boyds.

The action fit on the stock and looked great, but the gun does not function. I encountered two problems:

1. The magazine catch is not cut out properly and the magazine will not lock into place. Every time you cycle the bolt, the magazine falls out.

2. The bolt release will not engage when the action is installed on the stock.

According to my research on a dedicated Savage Forum, it appears that I received a prototype stock. Several other people encountered the same problems I am having. According to their posts, Boyds will need me to return the stock and they will ship me another one ASAP. I thought about attempting to correct the issues myself as it is not uncommon for an aftermarket stock to need adjustment and final fitting, but after seeing the info on the prototypes, I will be returning it to Boyds.

So for now, no pictures and it looks like I will not be shooting it this weekend. I will report back when I receive the replacement stock.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old November 5, 2013, 08:37 PM   #28
steveNChunter

Well that's no good. I hope they have sorted through the last of the "prototypes" before I order one.
Old November 5, 2013, 08:45 PM   #29
FiveInADime

Sorry to hear that your stock was FUBAR. The walnut stock they sent me for my Marlin had a few imperfections but I liked the figure of the wood so I didn't fuss about it. If say the trigger guard wouldn't have fit, I would have made them send me a new one.
Old November 6, 2013, 05:08 PM   #30
Polinese

Looks like i must've gotten a prototype as well. My magazine locks in but have the same problem with the bolt release.
Old November 6, 2013, 06:07 PM   #31
steveNChunter

Could you dremel a little wood out where the notch is in the stock for the bolt release and also where the mag catches?

It seems like there should be an easy fix without sending it back to Boyd's. If they swap it out for another one they may charge a re-stocking fee.
Old November 6, 2013, 07:18 PM   #32
4runnerman

Wow- I think I will wait on getting one of these. 2 for 2 no good. That's 100% failure to me. Not good odd's of me getting one that won''t need to be sent back.
Glad this post got started-- Thanks Guys. Hope all works out for you.
Old November 6, 2013, 09:02 PM   #33
steveNChunter

It does say on their site that some "fitting" may be required.
Old November 6, 2013, 09:47 PM   #34
4runnerman

Some fitting yes- Like maybe having to open up the barrel channel to free float, but what you are describing is messing with the way the action is sitting. I know that if that is not just right your accuracy will suffer the most. The 4 stocks I have got from Stockeys Stocks have been a very very good fit ( not for the Axis ). I do not hunt other than Yotes ,which is one shot one kill. So all of mine I have put sled beds in. Single shots now. No need for the box. Mostly Target shooting with them. The only stock I got that I am not happy with is The Dog Tracker from Sharp Shooters Sply. ( Fred I believe was his name ). Fit is Horrible. $ 450.00 for a Stock that sits in the corner down stairs now and will never be used.

Last edited by 4runnerman; November 6, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old November 6, 2013, 10:37 PM   #35
Jay24bal

Good to go!

I called Boyds' today and they were more than helpful. They offered to either ship me a new stock (overnight) for free, or let me speak to a tech and he would walk through the mods needed to fix it. If I chose to fix it myself and was either unable to fix it or screwed it up in the process, they said they would still send me a new one. A+ to Boyds'!

As I suspected, the fixes were rather easy. I just wanted to make sure that Boyds' would still allow a return in case I messed it up.

So after 10 minutes with a small file (I keep a set of jeweler's files on hand specifically for my guns) and some sandpaper, I was good to. It fits like a glove and works 100%. Just required removing a tiny bit of material from a couple different places. The barrel is dead center in the center, and free floats all the way down to the nut.

Can not wait to get it out to the range this weekend. Once my range closes for January and February, I will glass bed it for good.

Now, as promised, on to some pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boyds' Axis Stock 1.jpg (120.9 KB, 592 views)
File Type: jpg Boyd's Axis Installed 2.jpg (141.5 KB, 651 views)
File Type: jpg Boyds' Axis Stock Bolt Close-up.jpg (129.8 KB, 593 views)

Old November 6, 2013, 11:32 PM   #36
Ruger480

Oh snap! Sweet lookin rig. Thanks for posting. It looks great!
Old November 7, 2013, 12:41 AM   #37
FiveInADime

Looks great Jay. I love stainless/laminate or stainless/walnut rifles. I used to think a synthetic stock was more functional until I figured out that plastic stocks are all flimsy and can easily be influenced by hand pressure. Fiberglass/Kevlar is a different story, but that's big $$$.
Old November 7, 2013, 12:42 AM   #38
A pause for the COZ

I am going to have to pop onto Boyds site and order one up for a Model 10.
I have been meaning to buy a Axis for some time, But I keep finding deals on Model 11's or 10's that end up the same price.
I just put a 243 barrel on the 11. Turned a ok shooting 308 into a tack driver in 243.

Think I will pick up a used 223 axis and get a 300 black out barrel for it.
Like my Savages.
Old November 7, 2013, 05:37 AM   #39
4runnerman

Glad to hear it Jay-- Looks very sweet
Old November 7, 2013, 05:39 AM   #40
steveNChunter

Jay24bal-

That stock looks great and it was good to hear that Boyd's has great customer service.

What's the recoil pad like on that Boyd's stock?

Does it have any give to it at all or is it just hard plastic?
Old November 7, 2013, 05:55 AM   #41
Jim243

Quote:
Also a rifle that could be easily rebarreled later if wanted.
Steve, I hate to rain on your parade, but I believe the barrel on the Axis is "Pinned" and is not interchangeable. You need to check on that first.

Jim
Old November 7, 2013, 06:26 AM   #42
Jimro

Savage Axis rifles should not have a pinned barrel, that is what the barrel nut is for. Any small thread Savage 10/110 barrel should work.

Jimro
Old November 7, 2013, 12:18 PM   #43
Jay24bal

Quote:
What's the recoil pad like on that Boyd's stock?
Not very good. It is a hard rubber one, and honestly the stock pad on the axis is better. But I knew that going in as this was not my first stock from Boyds'. They do offer an upgrade in the "custom options" to a Pachmayer pad for $30, and if I were ordering it for a harder hitting caliber than .223, I would have added it.

Quote:
Savage Axis rifles should not have a pinned barrel, that is what the barrel nut is for. Any small thread Savage 10/110 barrel should work.
Correct, it should not be pinned, but I do not know as I have not tried to re-barrel an Axis. What I do know, is the stock you choose and/or the barrel will need some modification due to the recoil lug used in the Axis.

The Axis lug is integrated into the stock and is not the standard recoil lug on most Savages. It would not be a deal-breaker and would not be terribly difficult, but it is something you would have to address.

Thanks for all the kind word gentlemen, I also love the Pepper Laminate on a stainless action (also Boyds' Nutmeg on stainless). The real proof will be in the groups that I shoot this weekend, I am expecting good things.

Old November 7, 2013, 12:35 PM   #44
4runnerman

The real proof will be in the groups that I shoot this weekend, I am expecting good things.

It's a Savage-We are expecting good groups as well for you.
Old November 7, 2013, 12:40 PM   #45
Jay24bal

Good to see I am not the only Savage fan-boy running around here.

Really, for a $300 gun, it was already shooting good groups. I am just hoping they tighten up even more with a stock that does not bend.

Old November 7, 2013, 12:47 PM   #46
4runnerman

I have 9 Savages now- Soon 10. Will not buy anything else. Went that road years ago. 5 years ago-sold them or traded them all in on Savages. best move I ever made. Savage # 1 Fan Boy right here
Old November 7, 2013, 12:56 PM   #47
Polinese

I decided to just hang onto mine. I was going to have my gunsmith glass bed the thing anyways I figure i'll just have him fix the inlet problems where needed. Do hope boyds gets the kinks worked out though. Wonder if the sharpshootersupply stock is any better... for the price it ought to be.
Old November 7, 2013, 01:13 PM   #48
4runnerman

Polinese--Please read customer reviews on them,before you order. They Have a F+ rateing by the BBB. I was lied to over and over for 6 months to get mine. Only after I threatened to take them to court did they ship and when I got the $450.00 Dog Tracker Stock it is totally useless. Sits downstairs against the wall now. A firm rememberance to never buy from them again.
Old November 7, 2013, 01:30 PM   #49
Polinese

I thought you meant boyds haha. I don't plan on buying the sharpshooter one was just wondering if it was any better. I've never even been able to get them to answer the darn phone for anything let alone order from them.
Old November 7, 2013, 02:03 PM   #50
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I've got a Boyd's stock on my customized Savage. It's very nice. In interior detail is poor, wood slivers and what-not, recoil pad might as well not exist, but the fit and exterior finish is excellent. Absolute steal at $100. The other one to consider is the EabCo version that comes pillar bedded but it's $65 more IIRC.

I don't know the differences between the typical Savage and the Axis, I wonder if the $85 Jard trigger would work? I have one on my Ruger M77 and it's fantastic.