The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 3, 2015, 02:40 PM   #1
jmbaret

Sringfield Model 872

I have been tearing my hair out over a Springfield 872 that won't feed due to height offset from bottom of lifter to top of mag feed tube. If i lift up against the spring tension, cartridge will feed, chamber and extract normally. I have replaced lifter, all springs, mag guide is tight, no lateral play in lifter. Could the wrong bolt for this weapon been installed? I can find zero reference to this model. It has all the characteristics of a Savage 87 series.
Old March 4, 2015, 04:00 AM   #2
10-96

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact.../887-39865.htm

I don't see a listing for the 872, but you said it was in the 87 family tree. Look at part #35- see the forward ramp portion that's bent downwards at an angle? Slowly and carefully bend that tab downwards away from the action. This should allow part #46 to rotate up further.

I hope that helps. The last 2 I worked on were raising the lifter too high.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 4, 2015, 05:28 AM   #3
jmbaret

I finally found some info on this rifle.
There was also a short lived "gallery" shorts only model 872(Savage 602,Ranger model 101.10) circa 1940~1946. These have special “guts’…lightened hammers and bolts and springs to offset the smaller recoil impulse of the 22 short.

There is plenty of space available for the lifter to travel. I'm going to be removing some coils on the lifter spring to reduce the downward force keeping the lifter too low.
Old March 4, 2015, 09:40 PM   #4
10-96

I guess the guts really are different. The 87 family has a saddle looking spring (that loops both sides of the lifter pin) on the lifter which provides constant upward pressure on the lifter. The bolt moving backwards, out of the way, and that tab is what allows and limits the ups and downs of that critter.

Old March 6, 2015, 03:11 PM   #5
jmbaret

The guts are identical. It appears upon closer examination that either: wrong bolt installed or the bolt is worn not allowing the lifter to rise far enough for allowing a round to feed from mag tube. It is hard to say which is which. Based on what i found on teardown when first purchased I would believe the former. Bought it at a gun show from an elderly man who couldn't give me a history on where he got it. Someone had touched up the stock (badly) and painted the whole action black save the bolt which I didn't notice. Since then i have seen other weapons from the local area for sale that have had the same treatment done. Caveat Emptor!

Last edited by jmbaret; March 7, 2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old March 7, 2015, 06:17 PM   #6
10-96

OK, so when the bolt is totally removed, does the lifter come up high enough to raise a ctg into proper position? One leg on the lifter causes the lifter to lower from the movement of the bolt. The other leg hits the finger sticking out of the front of the trigger group to limit how far the lifter rises.

Can you compare your parts with the pics provided at the Numrich link above?
Those are neat old guns, I would like you to be able to get it up and going.

Old March 7, 2015, 06:36 PM   #7
jmbaret

With the bolt locked forward it does not, with the bolt out the spring will bottom the lifter out. I have 3 different part numbers from the different models but all lifters are the new "replacement" type. No it is not hitting the stop lip from the trigger group. Options are either to build up the lifter, or the bolt. Yes I remember how much fun they were to burn up the ammo!

Last edited by jmbaret; March 8, 2015 at 11:28 AM.