The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 23, 2011, 11:58 PM   #1
ChaseA

Is my CCW valid if I move states?

I just took the CCW class and sent my packet to Austin (I live in Texas) to get my license. However, there is a strong possibility that I will be moving to Louisiana in a year and a half. Will my license still be valid there? Will I be up for a renewal in 4 years just like I would in Texas or do I have to take their class in order to be legal in their state?

I know its okay if I travel through LA with my Texas license but what if I become a permanent resident there? My CCW instructor didn't know the answer either.
Old March 24, 2011, 12:13 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

A TX license is valid in LA but once your residence changes permanently, by law you are required to inform DPS of your address change. I don't know if DPS will issue you a new CHL card with your new address on it once you no longer live in the state, but if they do it will be good until the expiration date.
Old March 24, 2011, 01:02 AM   #3
WildBill45

You should get a CCW license for your state of residence even if another state's permit is recognized. Otherwise, if you get into a use situation you will give attacking attorneys raw meat to go after in front of a jury.

If you are a cop, active or retired, and have qualified for the year to your state's law enforcement standards you do not need a CCW permit in any state in the union!

Quote:
H.R. 218, the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Safety Act” and S. 1132, the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Safety Act Improvements Act”

On 22 July 2004, President George W. Bush signed H.R. 218, the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Safety Act,” into law. The Act, now Public Law 108-277, went into effect immediately.

The bill exempts qualified active and retired law enforcement officers from local and State prohibitions on the carrying of concealed firearms.
On 12 October 2010, President Barack H. Obama II signed S. 1132, the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Safety Act,” into law. The Act, now Public Law 110-272, went into effect immediately.

The bill to improve the ability of retired officers to comply with the documents required by existing Federal law when carrying a firearm under 18 USC 926C and makes other modifications to existing law.

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old March 24, 2011, 06:49 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Once you no longer live in that state, and you change your address, I'd suspect that your license will no longer be valid.
Old March 24, 2011, 07:00 AM   #5
warpig602

Depends on the state. Some states permits are no longer valid if you move, some are. Your new state may require that you have one of their permits, even if it recoginises your old state.

When I moved from AZ to Iowa, Iowa recognized my AZ permit so long as I was not an Iowa resident. Once I claimed residency in IOwa, I had to get an IOwa permit to be valid. My Arizona permit is still valid to use in other states though. I cover my bases by having multiple permits. AZ, Iowa and Utah. Gets me through 90% of states.
Old March 24, 2011, 07:05 AM   #6
EricReynolds

It's a question of reciprocity. TX to LA is ok, although I'd get a LA permit at some point. Other states, it would be a completely different story. Anywhere to NY is no good. That seems like a question that the CCW course instructor should have known the answer to.
Old March 24, 2011, 07:11 AM   #7
warpig602

Reciprocity is only valid when discussing traveling through, not residency. YOu should check with whoever issues LA permits and see if if you have to have a LA if you are a resident.
Old March 24, 2011, 07:33 AM   #8
Jbar4Ranch

Your resident permit is no longer valid if you are no longer a resident of the issuing state.

SASS 47015
Old March 24, 2011, 08:32 AM   #9
Hunter Customs

The best thing to do is to call the State Attorney General of the state you plan to move to and they will advise you as to what the CCW requirements are for their state.

I had one of my Missouri CCW students move to Louisiana and he was required to get a Louisiana CCW.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Tags
ccw , ccw law , moving