The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 9, 2015, 02:20 PM   #1
Sabre9mm

Poseidon 9mm wipers

are they considered "suppressor parts" or can you just buy a box of them?
If the latter where, if the former, why?

I just started the process on this, have not chosen if I will put it on my XDM or buy the just buy the whole Glock 19 rig they suggested in the store.

either way I have about 6+ m to make up my mind.
Old May 9, 2015, 02:28 PM   #2
rjrivero

Wipes are replaceable. You cut your own from neoprene.
Old May 9, 2015, 02:30 PM   #3
Sharkbite

IIRC, wipes are the only part of a suppresor that is "user serviceable".

If i had a TAX STAMPED suppressor that used wipes, i think it would be ok to have spare wipes. If i didnt have a stamped wipe using can, maybe not a good idea to have em layin around
Old May 9, 2015, 02:47 PM   #4
Sabre9mm

No this one is all legit, started paperwork yesterday, I would assume somewhere you could simply buy a box of prefit factory replacements, I just cannot seem to find them...

Guy was showing them all to me in the store, had a bullet bunker, afterward I said I just have to own one of those... (need the bullet bunker too!)

I looked at the on my new one (yes it is mine I just have to wait for them to tell me I can actually have it), it did not look to be neoprene, it looked like a solid rubber disk, very hard, about the thickness of a nickle or two, with no hole until the first round.
Old May 9, 2015, 08:13 PM   #5
rjrivero

They are neoprene. Thompson machine used to ship their Suppressors with a die cutter for wipes, but they were so easy to cut with scissors they stopped sending the die cutter. You could have one made I suppose after you measure the wipes....
Old May 10, 2015, 07:18 PM   #6
Sabre9mm

Well, just spoke to dealership where I purchased the XDM, they sell the NFA items as well, said the reason i am not finding an XDM barrel for this is that the XDM doe snot perform well on a suppressor, so caveat emptor there, he says to keep the Poseidon on a glock and be happy with it...

On that note, academy local has the glock 19 gen3 with a 13.5x1 for $560 (glock barrell), but the Poseidon has a 1/2 28, of course

Since we just started this, they *may* be able to get another with the right thread pattern and save me some $$$, if not I guess I will be springing for as new barrel just to fit it...

...THAT said, I am still finding different answers on the Poseidon, I have sent an email to the company with no response yet, but it does appear that there are rubber fore and aft wipers, and the neoprene plug is optional?

Could see daylight through the demo I shot, and the fore wiper was NOT neoprene (unless it was some dense non cell foam type I have never seen), I touched it, and it felt more like the rubber on my tire than my wetsuit...

I will try and get those answers form the dealer tomorrow and pass them on.
Old May 11, 2015, 01:58 PM   #7
Lark

I read a letter from the BATFE stating that wipes can be replaced by the unlicensed owners of a registered silencer but new wipes can only be replaced after destroying the old ones. In other words you can't have extra silencer parts laying around ready to use. That is why I'll never make a silencer that uses wipes.
Old May 11, 2015, 02:50 PM   #8
Sabre9mm

Well that sounds like a plan, cannot think of a better way to destroy them than use them, and if I need 10 water canteens with rubber seals, well it is hot in Texas this time of year at the range...

In all seriousness though, I would assume this then falls under "a bootlace can be construed as a machine gun" common sense rule, that with legitimate cause and proper common sense, minus a stockpile I am probably not going to go to "federal # me -> *** prison" for having an extra set on hand.

But it does make sense why I cannot purchase a set ahead of time, I suppose, on some level, however distant and absurd...
Old May 11, 2015, 06:11 PM   #9
Sabre9mm

Well, crow is a dish I have become fond of over the years, Tompson machine says they *are* neoprene...

Quote:
Depending on whether you bought a Poseidon 9mm or Poseidon .45, the wipe material is different.

The Poseidon 9mm uses 1/4" thick 50A durometer neoprene. The McMaster-Carr part number is 8568k5

The Poseidon .45 uses 1/8" thick 50A durometer neoprene. The McMaster-Carr part number is 8568k3

You either cut or punch them out at needed. Note that you should only possess one punched wipe at at time. Destroy your old wipe before punching a new one.

The 15/16" arch punch (also from McMaster-Carr) works well for punching out wipes.
Now that said, after looking at the material, I would wager this *is not* what was in the demo I shot at the store, hence my confusion.

Anyhow, I have my answer, and hopefully the additional information will assist another owner in the future.

It should be said as well, personal and prompt responses from support ALWAYS improves my view of any product, it is a part of quality you cannot machine or manufacture, therefor worth noting that this company made that step, and earned a future consideration when purchasing more.
Old May 11, 2015, 06:27 PM   #10
Ricklin

Hard or soft

Neoprene can be harder or softer. I believe the engineering term for the hardness is Durometer.
Old May 11, 2015, 09:34 PM   #11
Sharkbite

I wonder how many Wipes i can make out of my old wetsuit