The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 24, 2013, 03:43 PM   #26
BumbleBug

Going back to lead...

I bought & tried several different "unleaded" bullets, mainly for their improved performance. I process my own game & never have I been worried about the hazard of lead in my food. I shot a couple of deer with the Barnes bullets. They worked fine - dead deer.

Then one day I was getting ready to make a bullet order when I had a small talk with myself (something old guys do). "Hey, didn't those old lead bullets worked just fine before they invented those new super lead-free bullets? Haven't you & others shot a bunch of deer up close & a bunch of deer real far with those old bullets? Don't those new bullets cost twice as much? Didn't you find out that those new bullets weren't any more accurate than the old bullets? Don't you shoot the old bullets to practice with so as to not waste those new bullets?"

That was it & I decided. I went back to the lead-core Speers & Sierras that have always relied on. Just made more sense. I sure hope the deer don't mind!

FWIW....

...bug