The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 2009, 02:24 PM   #1
dustball8504

Remington 1100 Tac 4....

Hey all, I've never posted in the shotgun section but I had a question. Does anyone have any experience with the Remington 1100 Tac 4, it comes with screw in choke tubes and a 21 inch barrel with a 4 shot extension? I'm looking for my first auto loader but want something small with screw in tubes which is hard to find. Let me know your experiences with the 1100s, likes and dislikes, etc... THANKS!!!
Old September 8, 2009, 04:01 PM   #2
oregon-john

I have not had the tac version, but have had many Remington 1100 guns. The 1100 is a great gun. I just like the Benelli better. I have the Benelli M1 Super 90 Tac with the standard butt stock and screw in choke tubes. I love it. I use it for HD, but I also can use it for a Rabbit gun and Grouse gun. Just put in the choke tube I need. Nice to have a gun that is good for more that one application. John
Old September 8, 2009, 04:05 PM   #3
oregon-john

I do have a longer mag plug, that I put in to make it legal to hunt with. John
Old September 11, 2009, 08:35 AM   #4
KCabbage

I really like my TAC-2 model. It's ran top notch with everything powerful enough for it. The lowest power load I have found to reliably cycle is the Rio 00 buck low recoil load at 1200 FPS. The Remington LE 00 buck low recoil at 1200 FPS does not work though. Neither does the Winchester Ranger low recoil slug at 1200. Since it's extremely new maybe it will loosen up over time and allow the lower recoil rounds.

While this is my first semi-auto, I just can't understand why people think semi's are so unreliable for defensive use. I can't get this thing to jam for the life of me.

I will say for fast reloading the loading gate isn't very "tactical". It requires a very precise touch to load a shell. I installed a Dave's easyloader which made it a breeze.
Old September 11, 2009, 09:07 AM   #5
dustball8504

Will it load 2 3/4 low brass or target loads, the primary use of this thing is to be a skeet gun with the screw in chokes and also to replace my mossberg 500 persuader as my defensive gun. Thanks!
Old September 11, 2009, 01:48 PM   #6
KCabbage

I'm not much of a target load shooter so I can't help you there. I have heard of others being able to run anything including target loads, but theirs is probably way more broken in than mine.
Old September 12, 2009, 06:29 PM   #7
dustball8504

thanks for the replies, I'm going to look at one tomorrow at a gun shop, it took me awhile but I found a place that has a few in stock at a good price.
Old September 12, 2009, 10:05 PM   #8
KCabbage

Just curious what a good price was? I'd hate for you to pay too much

I bought my TAC-2 from a LE guy off of Glocktalk who bought his new for almost $900. He needed cash to close on a new house so he sold it to me for $600 shipped He had only ran a five round box of shells through it.
Old September 13, 2009, 08:27 AM   #9
lmccrock

I have the now-discontinued 1100 Competition Master which has very similar specs to the Tac-4. I have shot it it 3 dram, 1 1/8 oz loads, but that is as low as I have gone. Usually I shoot 3 1/4 dr, 1 1/8 oz heavy dove loads for birdshot. The Remington reduced recoil slugs (1 oz at 1200fps) do not cycle reliably in cold weather (like, below 45 F or so); there is a Federal slug, 1 oz @ 1300fps that runs fine. Try it with your favorite target loads; if they do not cycle, you can open the gas system a little but that will pound the gun some if you run full power defensive loads.

The reliability issues in an 1100 are best addressed by keeping the gas system wet and replacing the seal (o-ring) often.

I use mine for 3-gun competitions, so I bang on the carrier assembly because we reload under the clock; mine has needed some carrier parts replaced lately after about 5 years of use.

Lee
Old September 13, 2009, 10:32 AM   #10
SeekHer

The 1100s have been around for decades and have earned a reputation of reliability almost equal to the Model 870...

I've shot both 12 and 20 bore versions of the gun with light skeet/trap loads with nary a problem, cycled everything I fed them but have never tried the "Tactical" version of them...

There seems to be a lot of them used in 3 gun events (with modifications) so they can and will handle the abuse (as posted, to a degree)...

Are they like the new super light recoiling guns, no but you can get them about 3/4 the price of the Benellis etc...

I'd grab it in an instant!

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
Old September 13, 2009, 09:52 PM   #11
L-2

Small, autoloader, meaning ~18.5" barrel, with a screw-in choke tube?
There is the Benelli M4.
http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php

Also, there's the FN line of guns: http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...005&gid=FNG002
Maybe you were already aware of these and just wanted to know about the Remington. That's all, no further.
Old September 14, 2009, 08:15 AM   #12
dustball8504

The shop I went to look at it had it for $759 new but my local gun shop can order one in and sell it for $735 which is $40 over his cost, he shows me his cost first and then tacks $40 to it for him lol. So far he has the best prices I have ever found.

The benelli is really nice, I just can't justify the price tag for something that'll be dragged through the woods, strapped to a fourwheeler and under the back seat of my pickup most of the time....
Old September 14, 2009, 08:38 AM   #13
greyson97

for anything over $600
your better off buying at budsgunshop with a $25 or less ffl transfer fee, depending on if your state has sales tax.

Tac-2
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/41868
Tac-4
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/41869

although for what you say you can get the tac4 for, that is a very good price

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old December 26, 2009, 12:38 PM   #14
glockorama

What I don't get about the Benelli is why it only has a 4-shot mag capacity. The mag tube "assembly" runs to the end of the barrel, but only holds 4 rounds. Why? Usually, that long of a tube underneath would be 6-7 shells.
Old December 26, 2009, 01:15 PM   #15
colostomyclown

it's a stupid ugly overpriced gun. the Tac-2 is a much better option. theyre all pretty tac-y though.