The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 3, 2009, 07:28 PM   #1
joepa150

Ok so I signed up for a basic pistol class.

Taking the advice of my father and members of this forum I signed up for a Basic Pistol class. It is about a 2 hour course taught by a NRA certified instructor. Class size is 3-4 people. From what he was saying it is about half class and half range.

I have shot guns occasionally on and off for about 18 years with friends and my father (rifles, shotguns, revolvers, and pistols). Not that much though. Maybe 4 times a year.

What can I expect to learn and gain from a course like this?

He said just to bring a gun and 50-100rds.
Anything else I should bring besides ear and eye protection (notepad and pen)?

Will a class such as this teach me how to shoot more accurate, break down and clean my gun, and gun laws in my state?
Old November 3, 2009, 08:00 PM   #2
dinsmore83

Quote:
Students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; pistol parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting from the bench rest position, and two handed standing positions; cleaning the pistol; and continued opportunities for skill development
that's from NRAInstructors.org for the /nra Basic Pistol Course
Old November 3, 2009, 08:48 PM   #3
joepa150

If he is NRA certified and the name of the course is Basic Pistol program i am guessing it is probably the same type of stuff.
Old November 3, 2009, 09:02 PM   #4
comn-cents

Great to hear.
Take a baseball hat. Make sure that you where a shirt that rounds can't easily fall down. The hat keeps empties from going behind your safety glasses & shirt.
Have fun and stay safe.
Old November 3, 2009, 09:10 PM   #5
BobbyT

I took one last spring (came up to Crook County for school, so I hadn't shot in 5 years), except mine was more like 4 hours. It's pretty basic stuff, so that anyone with any level of familiarity can walk in and get a good understanding of operation, safety, etc.

We went from what makes up a cartridge, to the basics of how a firearm works, to loading/unloading/clearing a revolver and semi, the 4 rules, hearing/eye protection, sights, and etiquette.

Then .22 revolvers to get everyone on paper, followed by .38s, .22 semis, and then half a dozen 9mms to try out (so we could decide what we wanted and then buy one from them).

After that we covered cleaning, laws, and how to pick yourself a pistol. No CCW/open carry stuff since IL does not recognize our right to bear arms.
Old November 3, 2009, 09:40 PM   #6
joepa150

Yeah I am hoping CCW basics also because I have a CCP on its way.

He didn't tell me to bring anything but I told him I will bring my gun and asked how much ammo to bring. He said 50 rounds should do.

I wonder if they are going to supply various types of guns and ammo to try?? That would be an added bonus.

What would someone do that didn't own a gun? Pay for rentals and ammo on top of the course fee?
Old November 4, 2009, 09:22 AM   #7
Lee Lapin

This might be it...

lpl
=======

http://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseCatalog.aspx

Name : NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course

Short Description : Teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for owning and operating a pistol safely.

More Details: This course is at least 8-hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. Students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; pistol parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting from the bench rest position, and two handed standing positions; cleaning the pistol; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, take a Basics of Pistol Shooting Student Examination, and course completion certificate. (Lesson Plan 2nd edition, 2009)

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old November 4, 2009, 09:39 AM   #8
Ronbert

Don't be surprised when the beginner ladies in the class outshoot the "experienced" men.
You'll also see the "experienced" men mishandle their firearms and be chastized for it. I saw this a lot when I helped with the classes my club taught. The ladies are there to learn what they don't know. The men have to un-learn what they know but is wrong. :-)

The class also might connect you to folks who are doing other shooting disciplines (IPSC or IDPA) and off you go for a life of shooting-related fun. (This is what happened to me and how I became an RO for the club.)

The fundamentals are always in fashion.
Old November 4, 2009, 01:00 PM   #9
joepa150

I wonder what class it is? He didn't say it was NRA First Steps or NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course.

I just asked for a basic pistol class and he said he has an opening today at 4pm. He said it is about 2hours but both the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course and the First Steps are supposed to be longer.

I just hope it is not a class designed for someone who NEVER shot a gun before vs someone who shot guns before and is interested more in Gun safety, laws, techniques, cleaning, etc. So still a beginner class I need but I don't want to start from the very beginning.
Old November 4, 2009, 08:06 PM   #10
Frank Ettin
Staff

At 2 hours, I doubt that it's the full Basic Handgun. When my group teaches the Basic Handgun, the class runs about 10 hours.
Old November 5, 2009, 01:03 AM   #11
Mello2u

From what joepa150 has posted about what the instructor said the course was to be; it does not sound like any NRA course. It may be that joepa150 misunderstood the instructor.

The instructor may have said that there is 2 hours of classroom instruction (without elaborating that the 2 hours are Lessons I, II, and IV) and additional range time. The shooting time at the range can vary greatly depending on the students and the ratio of instructors to students. So the entire course should be at a minimum three hours, which does not include any travel time if the classroom instruction is not at the range.

The First Steps Pistol Orientation course consists of four lessons.
Lesson I: Introduction to Pistol Safety, Parts, and Operation. (45 minutes)
Lesson II: Introduction to Ammunition and the Fundamentals of Pistol Shooting (45 minutes)
Lesson III: Introduction to Pistol Shooting from the Benchrest Position (60 minutes) This is the shooting portion of the course.
Lesson IV: Introduction to Pistol Cleaning, Storage, and Training Opportunities (30 minutes)
" Frederic Bastiat
Old November 6, 2009, 01:41 PM   #12
T.A.Sharps

Just make sure to bring your head.

When I took my CCW class there were a lot of guys over confident and cocky about what they were "learning."

One older guy, near me not all, said something like "who is up for driving through Wellington Heights after this", Wellington Heights here is also known as the "ghetto" where there have been some incidents against police lately. I know it was a joke, but a bad joke, to bad, not to mention a few other things, for a serious class like one for CCW.

He was also BSing the whole time like this test was nothing to him, just 10 shots at 10 yards.

Well he was shooting next to me and when I was done with my 10 he was still shooting and I saw all his rounds were landing very low of the 10 ring.
Old November 10, 2009, 01:09 PM   #13
cmking26

Its probably going to be pretty basic. They will most likely go over gun safety first and then shoot a couple rounds. Might not even go over gun cleaning.
Old November 12, 2009, 12:14 PM   #14
jg0001

While you may not learn much, what you WILL get out of it is a certificate that you can use to get a Florida non-resident concealed carry permit good in 30+ states.