The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 18, 2002, 06:57 PM   #1
moredes

Reloading for a 45-70 BFR

Sheer funk moved me into this gun. I wanted to pass the time while my rifle cools down on the silhouette line. Of the choices I allowed myself, the XP100 is impossible to find in the caliber I wanted (.308) in the PRK. I just can't swallow the looks of the Encore, and I got a damn good price on the BFR, so I bit.

I need to learn what to reload. I'm hoping to kick dust around with even the 500-600yd targets; it didn't seem impossible with a BFR in 444 Marlin; I'm hoping the 45-70 will be the same.

Anyone have any pet recipes for this specific configuration? How heavy a bullet is too heavy for this gun? Do I dare shoot the big factory rounds intended for rifles, or should I stay under a 400gr bullet limit? I need all the advice y'all can give; I've never shot this caliber nor reloaded for it.

A wise man would have probably coughed up for an Encore in .308.

Thank you.
Old October 18, 2002, 07:11 PM   #2
Preacherman

Step 1: Get hold of some Garrett Hammerheads (www.garrettcartridges.com).

Step 2: Fire one of these beastmasters in your BFR.

Step 3: NEVER EVER load something that hot yourself!!!

Seriously, I think that if you follow the "standard" .45/70 loadings (i.e. those which are safe in black-powder weapons originally chambered for this round), you'll be fine. They have an amazing "rainbow" trajectory which can reach out over 3,500 yards or so! Mike Venturino did an interesting article about tests on these rounds at a military proving ground in California.

I think that the "hotter" loads might well be safe to fire in your BFR, but would be extraordinarily uncomfortable in recoil. BTW, don't take that suggestion about the Garrett Hammerheads too seriously... I don't know whether the BFR is strong enough to cope with their pressures. Check with Magnum Research and/or Garrett before proceeding!
Old October 20, 2002, 06:36 AM   #3
DARTH 44

The Preacherman,3500 yds sounds interesting.Is it possible
to read that Mike`s article in the Internet?

If so, I`d appreciate a link.
THX
Old October 21, 2002, 10:49 AM   #4
moredes

No offense Preacherman, I moved the question over to Reloading; I'm hoping to get some initial suggestions on what bullets and powders to favor, over there. Thanks for your advice; I'll stay within the BP standards as I start out.