The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 19, 2014, 08:14 PM   #1
Oregon.gun.nut

Need help identifying Shotgun Reamer Set

Hello, All. My father passed away a few years ago and he had been a gunsmith for 60 years here in Oregon. I have taken over the business as a licensed FFL, but I don't have the knowledge or experience to be a gunsmith, plus I am 69 and have deteriorating vision. As a result, I have been trying to identify all of the various tools, firearms, and parts that I inherited and I intend to sell most of them because I don't have anyone that can continue the business.

Right now, I need help identifying the attached set of shotgun reamers. There isn't any manufacturer on the box and I can't see anything other than gauge markings on the reamers. The two short, fat reamers on the lower right indicate they are for a Remington 11-87. I would like someone to tell me where this may have come from, who made it, what the reamers can be used for, and an idea what they are worth. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shotgun Reamer Set.jpg (116.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20 Ga Reamer Set and Rem 11-87 Reamers--12-19-14.jpg (111.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 16 ga Reamer & Gauge Set--12-20-14.jpg (104.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Oregon.gun.nut; December 20, 2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Add two pictures
Old December 19, 2014, 09:00 PM   #2
HiBC

First,I don't know for sure.I'm an amateur and I don't do much with shotguns.

I know some of the jobs might be:

Chambering a blank from scratch...in that case,the longer reamers with the tapered ends serve to make the straight portion of the chamber plus forcing cone.The shorter reamers with the step would cut the rim recess and establish headspace.

Two other possibilities for the long reamers with tapered ends.A long forcing cone reamer.These funnel the shot down to bore dia more gently,a good idea with steel shot.

Another is back boring.Some feel opening the bore up to a larger dia is beneficial,in which case the taper on the end would be for choke

Those are about all the jobs.From what I see,I think the reamers with the taper are for chambers and include forcing cone.The stepped one is for rim recess.

My guess,the larger ones square a sawed off barrel,then the angled ones make a nice chamfer.Some of the large ones may spot face a receiver.

As there are no taps and the shapes are wrong,I do not think they have anything to do with choke tubes.
Old December 19, 2014, 10:11 PM   #3
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

My guess is that the reamers could be Clymer, since they are about the oldest company making them. However, there were some companies in the northeast, close to the gunmakers, who made tooling too.

You should have reamers there for different gauges, for the chamber, forcing cone, and choke, along with facing and crowning cutters. It also looks like they're a set of gauges in the box. The round pieces at the left look to be bore pilots.
Old December 19, 2014, 10:37 PM   #4
HiBC

Remote possibility for the very large ones,making forends.Putting the correct bore in the wood.I can't put my head around anything else would need a reamer that big.
Old December 19, 2014, 11:07 PM   #5
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

The large ones could be for a specific barrel shank, as They show using similar in several of the Winchester and Remington manuals.

It looks as if the .410, and part of the 12 gauge reamer is missing. Those are probably laying around the shop, hopefully. The could have been taken out to have them sharpened, so I hope they're found. If the set is complete, it will be worth some money.
Old December 20, 2014, 09:33 PM   #6
Oregon.gun.nut

Weii, I think I have discovered a few things since I first posted this. I have added one picture above that shows the complete set of reamers and attachments for a 16 ga. I think these are Clymer reamers, but the markings are hand engraved and are not printed on the tooling. The marks only reference gauges and no indication of usage or manufacturer. I used a Remington 1100, 12 ga., 2 3/4" barrel to see what would fit.

Referencing the 16 gauge picture above, the top reamer is a chamber reamer for 2 3/4". The second reamer from the top is a "Rim Cutter" that comes with a spring (in box) and a bushing. This set sells at Brownell (#184-115-012) for $131.99 and uses the other pilot rod bushing and pilot rod to cut and remove damaged metal from shotgun chambers with damaged rim-recess areas. it is used in conjunction with a Headspace Ring that is soldered in place and the rim is recut.

The next two down appear to be Go and No-Go gauges as they will fit in my barrel chamber and differ by about 4-5 .000"s in length. I'm not sure what the third gauge with the handle measures, but all three gauges sit flush in my 1100 barrel.

I haven't figured out what the two tools shown at an angle are used for. The reversible reamer does not fit in either end of the barrel and it doesn't seem appropriate as a 'muzzle-Squaring" reamer.

In the picture attached below, The two reamers are both marked "M-11/87 Rem" with no gauge markings. The pilot/bushing shown on the left fits in either end and can be fixed with a set screw. The boxed set includes three of these "bushings" marked for 12, 16, and 20 gauge. I'm thinking the two cutters may be used ih some fashion for these three gauges, but I haven't located any pictures of anything similar. They are quite large in comparison to the barrel and I don't see how it could be used from the chamber end of an 11/87 barrel with it's extended tang.

My father was an authorized Remington Repair gunsmith and I'm sure he purchased this set with that in mind. To Dixie: I have the 12 gauge rim-cutter reamer, but haven't located the 410 set yet. Looking at the current prices for similar reamers, gauges, and bushings, I'm estimating about $350-400 (new) per gauge, not counting the two specialized reamers. Does that sound in the ballpark?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rem 11-87 Reamers--12-20-14.jpg (97.9 KB, 10 views)
Old December 21, 2014, 11:12 AM   #7
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

The larger ones may fit the gas cylinder ring on the bottom of the barrel. Those have a taper and a step in them. The barrel tang that unthreads off the barrels chamber end might have a reamer for it. That is all I can think of.

Remington and Winchester had sets of these that they used at the factory and for large repair shops.

I'm not sure on the overall price, but it will be up there for the complete set.
Old December 21, 2014, 01:16 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Looks like chamber reamers (look at the lip). Some could be for forcing cone.
Old December 21, 2014, 06:21 PM   #9
Oregon.gun.nut

I think we are getting there. After a closer look (with my one eye!) using my 1100 barrel, it looks like the two special 11/87 reamers are used to make two cuts and a bevel for the magazine tube gas piston and seal.

The tool with the reversible bevel on each end will fit slightly into the chamber end of the barrel, but will not go beyond the rim recess. One end is slightly smaller than the other ,like a rougher and finisher tool would be. I don't see any bevel on this particular barrel so I don't know if it is used to help improve shell feeding in some way. There only appears to be a square rim recess. I wish I had a dimensional cross-section of the chamber and magazine tube support as it would probably answer everything.