The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 15, 2008, 11:18 PM   #1
jrothWA

What most comon Alaska caliber / gauge?

Nephew's going to Anchorage, just want to advise him of what easiest to come across.
Going have him try myM70 .308 with commercial 180 loads, a M500 12ga & M37 20ga.
What also good for packing a sidearm, no less than .357Mag, what type???
Old June 15, 2008, 11:31 PM   #2
aaalaska

the 308 will work fine ,many will tell you it's to light.20 ga fine for grouse rabbits & short range ducks,myself & most of my friends use 22s for most small game.The 12 will be handy for ducks geese & cranes.as for a handgun I wouldn't carry anything smaller than 44 mag or 45 colt if your thinking of a backup for hunting ,if your talking one to carry in Anchorage the bad guys there aren't any bigger than the rest of the U.S..Alex
Old June 17, 2008, 01:45 AM   #3
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Anchorage or Alaska?

Are we talking about a trip to Anchorage or to Alaska?

Anchorage is great, because it is only just a few more miles from there to Alaska! (I did, I really did have to say it!!!)

I would say pretty heavily armed for Anchorage. But, if going on to Alaska are you looking at hunting? If so, what? Bear hunting or defense? There is VERY BIG big game here, and it does make a difference what you are hunting, if indeed that is what your nephew is thinking about. Sheep hunting versus Brown/Grizzly hunting = big difference in caliber choice.

Maybe you could give us a bit more info.

Happy Trails

What do you get if you cut Alaska in half?

You make Texas the third largest state! (I had to; it happened again!)
Old June 17, 2008, 01:53 AM   #4
AZAK

Handgun choice for Alaska (For Anchorage=same as any city)

I have carried 10mm and 44 mag when out as a handgun caliber choice. I prefer the 10mm. I also tend to agree with the old adage that your handgun is to fight your way back to your rifle/shotgun that you should not of put down in the first place.

I normally carry a 300 H&H mag or a 12g shotgun with slugs in addition to my 10mm Glock. Not to mention the big can of bear spray strapped to my fanny pack.

This is for just being out in the woods or bush.

Happy Trails
Old June 18, 2008, 02:23 AM   #5
predator86

as told to me by a relative who lived there

alaska calibers-

rifle-45-70

shotgun-12 gauge

sidearm-44 mag/.357

any questions??
Old June 18, 2008, 10:40 PM   #6
TPAW

I'm kinda fond of the 30.06 and .12 gauge. For a hand gun, .44 Mag.
Old June 19, 2008, 05:52 AM   #7
Wildalaska

Quote:
Anchorage is great, because it is only just a few more miles from there to Alaska! (I did, I really did have to say it!!!)
Tell that to the guy who just got charged by a Grizzly in the Hillside area

Around town, bear spray and a pistol of some kind (wjen in parks)...just a pistol when not.

Outside town, 44mag or 45

WildthereisamooseinspenardAlaska TM
Old June 19, 2008, 01:44 PM   #8
AZAK

Anchorage third largest city in the United States

And the first and second would be Sitka, Alaska and then Juneau, Alaska.

WA - I do agree that folks do run into bear and moose in Anchorage. With Anchorage being 1697.2 square miles of land and 263.9 square miles of water (Think about that for a minute, the bodies of water within Anchorage are far larger than many cities!) with a population of only 282,813 (as of 2006) there is a lot of non urban or suburban land within Anchorage officially. And Hillside is right near this.

After living in the bush and also having commuted into Alaska's biggest village (Anchorage) to work for a number of years(and living in various other locales in state), and as we are in The Hunt forum, and that I personally do not know anyone who realistically goes rifle bear hunting or moose hunting in Hillside, and that when the bears are in town that they can go to one of two Costcos or take a quick trip to Sportsmans Warehouse to see if they can find out what happened to Uncle Bud on the "Missing bears" board in the entry after stopping off at one of the WalMarts in town for some new DVDs and snacks, and that my hunting friends come out to where I live to go hunting, I really have no problem making a joke about Anchorage.

No offense intended WA, as far as hunting is concerned most hunting folks in Alaska, and from outside, do not pack up and head for Anchorage as their final destination for big game hunting. My guide friends do not schedule a hunt starting in Sportsmans parking lot. Be a great spot! If you needed something just hop out of the portable tree stand and run in to get more...

There are the military bases, do we call those "in Anchorage"? In my mind military bases are of federal status. And can the average hunter just go moose hunting on base if he/she wants?

Anchorage is a wonderful city in many ways. I would even say an outstanding and very unique city, especially since it does have so much nature amidst the city! Not to mention a great blend of different cultures, as seen in events and stores! Heck, Elton John even performed there just a bit ago. I have good friends, some hunters, who live in Anchorage. I do enjoy it for what it is and does offer. And it is a Great location, since it is so close to...

Happy Trails
Old June 19, 2008, 01:50 PM   #9
Wildalaska

Quote:
I have good friends, some hunters, who live in Anchorage. I
So do I, including numerous Master Guides.

WildlikesflushtoiletsAlaska ™
Old June 19, 2008, 02:00 PM   #10
AZAK

Anchorage third largest city in the United States

And the first and second would be Sitka, Alaska and then Juneau, Alaska.

WA - I do agree that folks do run into bear and moose in Anchorage. With Anchorage being 1697.2 square miles of land and 263.9 square miles of water (Think about that for a minute, the bodies of water within Anchorage are far larger than many cities!) with a population of only 282,813 (as of 2006) there is a lot of non urban or suburban land within Anchorage officially. And Hillside is right near this.

After living in the bush and also having commuted into Alaska's biggest village (Anchorage) to work for a number of years(and living in various other locales in state), and as we are in The Hunt forum, and that I personally do not know anyone who realistically goes rifle bear hunting or moose hunting in Hillside, and that when the bears are in town that they can go to one of two Costcos or take a quick trip to Sportsmans Warehouse to see if they can find out what happened to Uncle Bud on the "Missing bears" board in the entry after stopping off at one of the WalMarts in town for some new DVDs and snacks, and that my hunting friends come out to where I live to go hunting, I really have no problem making a joke about Anchorage.

No offense intended WA, as far as hunting is concerned most hunting folks in Alaska, and from outside, do not pack up and head for Anchorage as their final destination for big game hunting. My guide friends do not schedule a hunt starting in Sportsmans parking lot. Be a great spot! If you needed something just hop out of the portable tree stand and run in to get more...

There are the military bases, do we call those "in Anchorage"? In my mind military bases are of federal status. And can the average hunter just go moose hunting on base if he/she wants?

Anchorage is a wonderful city in many ways. I would even say an outstanding and very unique city, especially since it does have so much nature amidst the city! Not to mention a great blend of different cultures, as seen in events and stores! Heck, Elton John even performed there just a bit ago. I have good friends, some hunters, who live in Anchorage. I do enjoy it for what it is and does offer. And it is a Great location, since it is so close to...

Happy Trails
Old June 19, 2008, 03:19 PM   #11
AZAK

Did not intentionally post twice

Sometimes when I get a bit long winded, or wander off to enjoy the flush toilet, I have to re login to TFL. This is not the first time that I have ended up with a duplication of post.
Reminds me of the Apple commercial where the PC says," I have been error free for a week. I have been error free for a week."

Happy Trails
Old June 19, 2008, 03:37 PM   #12
grizz007

Your .308 will suffice....ammo can be found in most remote spots a hunter can find themselves in. Personally, I would opt for the thirty aught six for heavier bullet weight selection as the minimum.

Shotgun selection will be for.......geese, ducks-12 gauge. Small game....the .22LR, Sidearm ......I like my G20 with 200grn hardcast and the KKM 6" hunting bbl. along with my 629-1 with 325grn@1050fps and a Ruger Bisley 4-5/8"bbl. and 300grn plus hardcast.

I favor the convenience of the G20, my reasoning is this, it is not first choice as primary weapon.....it penetrates in comparison to the .44 mag 325 grn hardcast with 10grns of 800X @ 1300fps with BTB 200grn. I have 15 in the mag and one in the pipe for some shooting time if required.

Never in all of my 52yrs. have I needed to shoot a charging bear or an attacking bear with a handgun-live in the Brooks Range and hunt here. As some mention it is a good carry for one reason or another. My rifle is the primary carry in hand choice-always will be.

hope this helps.