The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 13, 2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Hokie

Advice for First Texas Hog Hunt

I'm visiting my sister down in Texas in early August and my brother-in-law wants to take me hunting feral hogs. He's going to be using a .243 and says our range will likely be 100-150 yards. I'm not sure if we'd be stalking or sitting in stands, but it would be during the day.

Here's my problem: I don't have a gun like a .243. I do have whatever optics I'd need. Below, I'm listing the guns I have access to (my own or through friends). Which of these, if any, would be best?

-Marlin 336 in .35 Rem
-Marlin 336 in .30-30
-AK in 7.62x39
-SKS in 7.62x39
-AR-15 in .223
-Mossberg 500 w/20" (I think) rifled slug barrel

My alternative is to get a 6.5 Grendel or .50 Beowulf upper or barrel-and-bolt for my AR. I'm not interested in other AR calibers. I'd rather use something I already have access to, but if none of them will truly work, then I'm willing.

Also, I'd like to have a sidearm, just in case. Are any of the following suitable?

-4" 1911 in .45acp
-3.25" Ruger SP-101 in .357mag
-Glock 33 in .357 Sig
-Sub-2000 in 9mm

Thank you!
Old June 13, 2010, 11:03 PM   #2
hoghunting

Either one of the Marlins and either .357 will work just fine. Be ready as August is usually the hottest month in Texas. I don't think you'll be sitting in stands during the day as the hogs will be buried around water and very inactive during the heat. You might have more luck with night hunting.
Old June 14, 2010, 11:24 AM   #3
2rugers

^^^agree wholeheartedly with the above post.
Old June 14, 2010, 04:47 PM   #4
Webyshops.com

My vote is for the SKS - great brush gun, especially for Texas. Do you know which part of the great state you are going to hunt in? It can be anywhere, but if it's East Texas - SKS is what I would go with.
Old June 14, 2010, 05:04 PM   #5
jgcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie
-Marlin 336 in .35 Rem
I'd use this ^
Quote:
My alternative is to get a 6.5 Grendel
But if funds are available, what better excuse for a new upper?
Quote:
-3.25" Ruger SP-101 in .357mag
I'd bring this one.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old June 14, 2010, 05:15 PM   #6
kaylorinhi

Stalking

Any of the above will mentioned long guns will work, the .223 maybe the last choice but doable. Any of the secondary's will work except the 9mm, not a fan, and low gr Projo's don't instill confidence, which are you better with the .45 or .357?

Next topic: bullet selection!
Old June 14, 2010, 09:11 PM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Won't argue with the suggestions, but would suggest maybe gaining some additional insights here.

http://www.texasboars.com/

Go to the above site and then go to the forums section and you can learn a lot about hunting hogs in Texas, what works and what does not.
Old June 15, 2010, 07:50 AM   #8
Hokie

Thanks for the insights so far! I'll be somewhere near Austin. A friend of mine from West Texas was saying that the .35 Rem would be destroying all kinds of meat and that a .223 is all that's needed. Frankly, though, he's a much better shot than I am, and so I figure it's better to waste meat and increase the chances of a sure kill.

I'm better with the 1911 than the SP-101, but at "run up a tree and sick of waiting" distance it's about the same.

I'll probably use the Marlin 336 in .35 Rem and SP-101, but bring the SKS and 1911 along "just in case."

Also, a related question: I'm told that squirrels are classified as a pest species in Texas and can be shot at any time. Is it worth bringing a .22 along, especially if we seem to be striking out on hogs?
Old June 15, 2010, 10:47 AM   #9
Double Naught Spy

The first two hogs I took were with a .45-70 at close range and I was really surprised at the amount of meant not destroyed. Neither round over penetrated and so damage was only with the entry hole. The next two were with 5.56 in the head and of course the meat damage was fairly low, but one round penetrated through and tumbled out a shoulder (top of head down through neck and out shoulder) and did a good bit of meat damage to it, more than what I got with the .45-70 entries.

Funny how that works.
Old June 16, 2010, 12:42 AM   #10
Austinite

The main piece of advice that I'd give you is to look at an anatomy chart for a hog. Their lungs are not located in the same place as deer. The boiler room area is moved forward on pigs meaning that you will need to shoot through the shoulders on broad side shots or just behind the shoulder on quartering away shots.

Good luck!
Old June 16, 2010, 01:43 AM   #11
dzavoina

Hokie wrote:
Also, a related question: I'm told that squirrels are classified as a pest species in Texas and can be shot at any time.

Not true. If you are not from Texas, is it worth the price of an out of state hunting licence fee to shoot tree rats?
Old June 16, 2010, 05:55 AM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
If you are not from Texas, is it worth the price of an out of state hunting licence fee to shoot tree rats?
He isn't coming to shoot squirrels, but why not shoot them if he is already here? Hogs are typically (not always) a crepuscular and nocturnal animal for most hunters. Squirrels are primarily diurnal.

I believe he should be covered for both under a general non-resident license.
Old June 16, 2010, 06:29 PM   #13
dzavoina

Depredating feral hogs may be hunted without a licence if you have the landowners permission, however, squirrels require a hunting licence in the state of Texas.
Old June 16, 2010, 11:32 PM   #14
Double Naught Spy

True, but ...
Quote:
Note: All laws and regulations governing hunter education still apply.
Quote:
Who is required to take Texas Hunter Education?
Every hunter (including out-of-state hunters) born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, must successfully complete a Hunter Education Training Course. Minimum age of certification is 9 years of age.

If you were born on or after September 2, 1971 and you are:

•under 9 years of age, you must be accompanied*.
•age 9 through 16, you must successfully complete a hunter education course, or you must be accompanied*.
•age 17 and over, you must successfully complete a hunter education course; or purchase a “Hunter Education Deferral” and you must be accompanied*.
Please note that some federally controlled areas require all hunters using that site to have hunter education certification. In Texas, this includes Corps of Engineers property and most military reservations. Be sure to check with the specific area prior to going hunting.
So you may not need a hunting license, but you need hunter's ed certification.
Old June 17, 2010, 04:44 AM   #15
dzavoina

You are correct, but since I border on being classified as an old fart, and this doesn't directly affect me, I tend to forget this.
Old June 17, 2010, 06:38 AM   #16
Double Naught Spy

Maybe Hokie is a more elderly gentleman as well and it won't apply.
Old June 17, 2010, 11:12 AM   #17
rickyrick

I have been told that TX squirrels don't taste no good, due to the high pecan diet. That was from people in the east that do eat squirrels.
Old June 17, 2010, 12:23 PM   #18
2rugers

I would eat a pecan over an acorn anyday.
Old June 17, 2010, 01:38 PM   #19
Hokie

Eh, I'm definitely not elderly, although I do strive to be a gentleman.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if getting a guest hunting license is worth it if I'd only be using it for squirrels.

What kind of "two-legged" danger is there? Are there anything like tweakers or cartels to worry about, or is the Austin area too far removed from that kind of thing?
Old June 17, 2010, 02:55 PM   #20
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
What kind of "two-legged" danger is there? Are there anything like tweakers or cartels to worry about, or is the Austin area too far removed from that kind of thing?
Keep Austin Weird!

Austin is a Utopian area of free thinking people who love nothing better than to assist you in any way possible. The only reason why hogs have gotten out of control in Texas is because caring and nurturing Austinites have treated them with such kindness, though they now fully understand their mistaken ways and uniformly encourage full scale assault against hogs, so that the children and bunnies may live in harmony.

Nobody does drugs in Austin because that would be bad. The only cartels are between the various computer companies and microbreweries. Careful when hunting hogs on 6th Street. The happy drunks sometimes lay down for a little blissful nappy and look like dozing hogs. Look out for Leslie, too! ...not that anyone would confuse Leslie for a hog, but Leslie is an icon of 6th Street you don't want to harm

Not that you would be hunting in Austin, but do you know of any major metropolitan area or State Capitol that doesn't have drug problems, tweakers, gangs, etc?

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; June 17, 2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old June 17, 2010, 03:55 PM   #21
2rugers

The hogs this time of year will be an almost dark hunting proposition hokie.
They overheat quickly and will not move during the day unless absolutely necessary.

A source of water such as a creek bottom or a brushed up stock tank will be areas to hunt near. They will avoid open fields and feeders if possible until after dark.

For the past week a boar in the 150 to 200 lb. range has been coming up from the creek to hit the corn feeder and at first he was showing up around 1a.m. now he has gotten more comfortable and is showing up at around 10p.m.
Still at least an hour after dark.

A good set of binos will be a big help as will a good light gathering scope for those late shots.

Squirrels will be around feeders too and are a blast to shoot so if you feel inclined to splurge for the out of state liscense bringing your .22 rifle may make the hot daytime hunting more fun.