The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 30, 2013, 11:43 AM   #1
RedBowTies88

11 More Bills Introduced in NJ

They're trying hard restrict our rights even further. This is the latest offerings from lawmakers in the gargen state.

A3748 Requires background check for private gun sales. Introduced by Jason O'Donnell, Charles Mainor, John F. McKeon No text for the bill available yet.

A3717 (S2492) Requires Submission of certain mental health records to National Instant Criminal Background Check System. Introduced 1/28/13 by Pamela R Lampitt, Troy Singleton
STATEMENT
This bill requires the State to submit certain mental health records to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
The United States Department of Justice established the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) for federally licensed gun dealers to conduct background checks on prospective gun purchasers. The NICS attains or accesses records from state police, local police and other agencies to determine if the prospective gun purchaser is prohibited from owning a firearm. The NICS relies on states to submit this information. As a result, if the states do not submit the information, the NICS database will have incomplete or inaccurate records, thereby allowing some individuals to purchase guns who should be prohibited.
This State has begun the process of implementing an electronic system to submit mental health records to NICS, however submission of these records is not mandatory under current State law. The provisions of this bill would make the submission mandatory.

HERE'S A BIGGIE!!!!!!!
A3707 - Establishes Ballistics Identifier Program for Certain Firearms - Introduced by Joseph Cryan
STATEMENT
This bill directs the Superintendent of State Police to establish a ballistics identifier program which law enforcement agencies can utilize for investigative and prosecutorial purposes.
Under the provisions of the bill, no person may sell or transfer a handgun and no licensed retail dealer may sell or transfer a rifle unless a ballistics identifier has been obtained for that firearm and that information has been entered into a qualified database maintained by either a federal or State law enforcement agency and available for investigative and prosecutorial purposes. If the manufacturer or wholesaler of the firearm does not provide certification that a ballistics identifier has been obtained and incorporated within a qualified database, the seller is responsible for obtaining a ballistics identifier for the firearm. To obtain such a ballistics identifier, the seller must transport the firearm to a regional center where the State Police will determine the particular ballistics identifier for each firearm. The cost of ascertaining a firearm’s ballistics identifier is to be borne by the State Police. To help defray the transportation and other administrative costs, retail dealers are to receive $5 for each firearm they bring to the State Police for processing at a regional center.
The bill also directs the superintendent to establish a voluntary ballistics identifier program for existing firearms owners. To inform New Jersey firearms owners about the program, the superintendent is to develop and undertake a public education campaign.
Finally, the superintendent is directed to issue a report every other year to the Governor and the Legislature. The report is to include information concerning (1) the number of handguns and rifles processed for ballistics identifiers at regional centers by the State Police; (2) the number of handguns and rifles processed under the mandatory ballistics identifier program and the number processed under the voluntary ballistics identifier program; (3) the number of criminal investigations during the reporting period in which ballistics identifiers played a role; and (4) any other information or data the superintendent may deem appropriate.
A "ballistics identifier" is defined in the bill as a digitized or electronic image of a bullet and shell casing fired by a handgun and clearly showing the distinctive firing pin, ejection, extraction and land marks for that particular handgun or rifle and which can be utilized, through comparative computer analysis, for investigative and prosecutorial purposes by law enforcement agencies.
Funding for the program is to come from the moneys the Attorney General annually obtains from the forfeiture and disposal of property seized in criminal cases.

ANOTHER BIGGIE!!!
A3752 - Requires firearms to be unloaded and securely locked or stored within home Introduced by Joseph Cryan, Annette Quijano, Charles Mainor, John F McKeon, Jason O'Donnell. NO TEXT FOR THIS BILL POSTED YET

STATEMENT
A3727 Imposes additional five percent tax on sale of firearms and ammunition to fund safety infrastructure improvements in public buildings. Introduced 1/28/13 by Connie Wagner, Timothy Eustace.
This bill imposes an additional five percent retail tax on the sale of firearms and ammunition.
The revenue generated from this new tax would be deposited in a special account known as the “Safety Infrastructure Fund.” The monies in the fund would be earmarked for safety infrastructure improvements in schools and other publicly-owned buildings, such as libraries and municipal buildings. The money would be available for safety features such as security cameras, electronic notification systems for school-wide emergencies, devices controlling means of entrances and exits, panic buttons, and locks on doors that can only be locked from the inside.

A3750 (S2525) Establishes regulatory and reporting program for all ammunition sales Introduced by Joseph Cryan, Jason O'Donnell, Annette Quijano, Charles Mainor, John F. Mckeon. NO TEXT FOR THIS BILL POSTED YET.

A3754 Requires firearms seizure when mental health professional determines patient poses threat of harm to self or others. Introduced by Joseph Cryan, Jason O'Donnell, Annette Quijano, Charles Mainor, John F. McKeon NO TEXT FOR THIS BILL POSTED YET.

A3753 Increases references required for application for handgun permit and firearms identification card from two to five. Introduced by Joseph Cryan, Jason O'Donnell, Annette Quijano, Charles Mainor, John F. McKeon NO TEXT FOR THIS BILL POSTED YET.

A3772 Requires that firearms purchaser identification cards display picture, mandates that firearms purchaser identification cards be renewed every five years. Introduced by Timothy Eustace, Connie Wagner, Valerie Vaineri Huttle. NO TEXT FOR THIS BILL POSTED YET.

A3773 Increases firearms purchaser identification card and permit to purchase a handgun fee. Introduced by Timothy Eustace, Valerie Vainieri Huttle. NO TEXT FOR THIS BILL POSTED YET.

A3788 Codifies regulation exempting firearms records from States open public records law; abolishes common law right of access to these records. Introduced by Davide Rible, Ronald Dancer. NO TEXT FOR THIS BILL POSTED YET.

ACR176 Memorializes Congress and the President of the United States to enact legislation enforcing stricter firearms control measures. Introduced by Angel Fuentes, Gilbert L. Wilson, Ruben J. Ramos Jr., Annette Quijano, Mila M. Jasey, Jason O'Donnell, Charles Mainor, Marlene Caride, Valerie Vainieri Huttle. NO TEXT FOR THIS POSTED YET.

AR143 Expresses support for Attorney General's gun buyback program. Introduced by Annette Quijano, Joseph Cryan, Jason O'Donnell, Charles Mainor, John F. McKeon. NO TEXT FOR THIS POSTED YET.

SCR136 (ACR63) Urges President and Congress of United States to Enact assault weapons ban including prohibition against large capacity ammunition feeding devices. Introduced in Senate on 1/28/13 Robert Gordon, Richard Codey sponsors.

This resolution urges the President and Congress of the United States to enact an assault weapons ban including a prohibition against large capacity ammunition feeding devices.
The federal “Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994” which included provisions that banned the sale of semi-automatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices expired when Congress failed to reauthorize the act in 2004.
Assault weapons have been used in some of the nation’s most horrific crimes including the recent tragedy in Arizona in which six people were killed and 13 others, including Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, were injured.
Recognizing that assault weapons pose a serious threat to law enforcement and to the safety of the citizens in New Jersey, in 1990 New Jersey enacted legislation banning assault weapons and certain large capacity ammunition feeding devices.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:12 PM   #2
2ndsojourn

Wow.

Anyway....Some of these may already be in effect, at least somewhat. For private handgun sales, the buyer is already required to obtain a permit (the 4? - part carbon copy form) which may imply he/she has to submit to a background check somehow. By the police who issue the permit? How this new law will do anything...pfft. And when I bought a new G17 last year, included in the box was a spent casing. I don't know what they did with the bullet. And all that identifier stuff is easy to defeat, so what good will that do?

Keeping firearms locked up and virtually unusable in an emergency....now that's a problem. I doubt that will ever pass SCOTUS if it ever gets that far.

Just more grandstanding on the liberal bandwagon.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:44 PM   #3
sigcurious

Why is it that people(politicians) keep thinking the real world is like CSI and that advanced ballistic forensics is reliable or useful tool? California and Maryland come to mind as failures of such programs.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:57 PM   #4
RedBowTies88

They're simply trying to win the affections (and vote) of the ignorant people of this state.

at least 9 in 10 people in this state know nothing about guns and are raised from an early age to think they're evil. That is just the reality of living in a state like this.
Old January 30, 2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Patriot86

It is now a race to the bottom in these anti-gun states and it makes me sad. If you ask my opinion, NJ already had the toughest laws of any state. Looks like they are trying to become “even tougher”

A3707: Washington DC basically has this already and so far if memory serves it has been used to solve exactly ZERO crimes. I would have to go back and comb the Emily Miller articles to verify.

Also, as I imagine many gun owners feel. The state or for that matter federal govt could kiss my rear end if they expect to dictate how/where I store my firearm in my own home. Same goes for the previously introduced bill allowing "inspections" of the homes of gun owners. This is America, not Soviet Russia. These proposals from NY, NJ, MA, CA all seem to get more and more outlandish, now crossing the line the of tyrannical with every passing day.

I mean the antis just seem to have gone off the crazy rails, they are proposing and passing legislation and taking actions that seem to have no regards for the 1st, 2nd or 4th amendments.
Old January 30, 2013, 01:33 PM   #6
BoogieMan

I cant see how any one of those bills would do anything to help gun violence in the streets or would have prevented any of the mass shootings. Our current system with the FID card is a joke also. It is however very effective at stalling the purchase of firearms by responsible citizens. If I wasnt concerned about the law (which criminals tend not to be) then I could go to any street in Camden, Newark, or Trenton and have one within a couple hours.
Dont forget to be at the State House on Feb 8th and show your support along with the 2A society.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 30, 2013, 03:09 PM   #7
NJgunowner

It isn't about preventing violence of any sort, it's to garner votes is a very liberal anti-gun state. They want these to make it to Christie, who they hope will veto them because it's the only thing they can use to prevent his re-election. They also know that even if he does sign off on them, it'll still work in their favor because it'll crush his chances at running for president. It's a win win.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:38 PM   #8
Willie Sutton

^^ What he said.

Before I came west, I was involved with NJ Republican Party fund raising and volunteerism. If I "really" wanted to, I could probably get on the phone with Christie tonight. At least I could get one of hs aides on the phone. In any event, this is "mostly" about giving the Governer something that is the follow on to the old saying "this is like trying to pick up a **** by the clean end". He's damned if he does, and damned if he does not. Inter-GOP word from a friend who had dinner with one of his aides last week is that he will not sign these bills. That's almost a requirement if he hopes for national office. And... I'm not sure that this would hurt him terribly in NJ either.

Willie

Old January 30, 2013, 08:51 PM   #9
BoogieMan

@Willie- I will be surprised if CC can get a second term. Im sure you know that an overwhelming percentage of the state is on the public dole. Seeing as CC is the only one to come close to stopping the bleed of money into the public system they all hate him for it. 3 out of 4 people I know will recite the union talking points if I bring up CC.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 30, 2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Willie Sutton

^^ We will sure see. NJ is just about past the tipping point where public employee union members and welfare recipients can vote for what they like at the peril fo the rest of us, or you, actually... as I am now a happy CCW holding resident of Wisconsin. I've never been happier.

Personally, I think he would have beaten Obama had he run, but he sincerely thought he was not yet ready for that office. That humility from a man known for bluntly speaking his mind is refreshing. I sincerely hope he seeks a national position in the future. The way it'll play out is uncertain, he can either win his next election and campaign from that seat, lose his state office and then campaign on "being the one that the Unions tossed out", or (least likely) not run for governer again and then simply run.

This may actually help him. If he votes against the bills, stands up to the state legislature, wins, and then loses the governers race, he can stand on his principles (and what will demonstrably be a further failure of NJ financially) as campaign points for a major run. He plays the outsider well.

Willie

Old January 30, 2013, 09:15 PM   #11
zxcvbob

Quote:
I cant see how any one of those bills would do anything to help gun violence in the streets or would have prevented any of the mass shootings.
It's not intended to. If they actually had a "magic bullet" they wouldn't use it. Violence in the streets and mass shootings are too useful.
Old January 31, 2013, 06:36 AM   #12
BoogieMan

Quote:
It's not intended to. If they actually had a "magic bullet" they wouldn't use it. Violence in the streets and mass shootings are too useful.
Sadly I think your right about that. Posture to make it look like your doing something while not actually protecting the children. I am so sick of the hypocrites making laws for me while not following them for themselves. Sen. Menendez is the latest. Im sure he will skate through the campaign fund and hooker issues with no problem.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown