The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 28, 2012, 01:54 PM   #1
tAKticool

New Nikon Monarch 5-20x44mm SF BDC questions

Hi all,

As the title states I have a few questions about my new scope, a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44mm SF BDC scope. It is on my new Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD .308 ... I had been looking for a while, came close once or twice to buying a few different Leupold's (mostly VX3 4.5-14x50mm , almost bought the Boone & Crockett reticle model then almost bought same w/ illuminated scope, then didn't , then kind of said, you know $1000 is a lot of money, came close to a few Zeiss's etc. ) ... eventually I settled on the Nikon, as I am a big fan, have two ProStaffs that were flawless and faultless, I read a few people reviewing their Monarchs claiming they were at least as good as the VX3 if not better, and then I almost bought it, didn't, and then Monday got a 25% off any one item plus free shipping email from Dick's Sporting Goods, took advantage and it arrived today.

So I had previously had the rifle setup for a scope, while I was awaiting NICS the day after election day, I had a 2 hour wait, I had the gunsmith at the LGS i was at install a Leupold one piece base and Leupold medium rings, which were perfect for this. I carefully mounted the scope and I'm not going to have the chance to shoot it right away which should give me plenty of time to get used to it.

My main question is this: It came with target turrets but not installed. There are instructions on how to install them but I am a novice when it comes to that, I have never actually installed target turrets before. There are several lines in the instructions telling me to be careful How I do it and keep the numbers/settings aligned to preserve the correct settings later.... SO: Do I want to install these turrets now, Then go out and zero the scope and such, or do I want to go zero the scope, get it set up how I want it and like it, And THEN replace the turrets so they are on correctly right at the zero I want?

Any other points I would be welcome to, if you have experience with the Monarch please feel free. Mine was looking pretty nice, it came with really nice flip-up lens covers, a soft neoprene scope coat, a sun shade (but I'd have to remove the lens cover I think to use it), the aforementioned package of turrets, and a huge set of booklets including the BDC reticle explanation (Which I am comfortable with from the BDC 4-12x40mm ProStaff I have).... I for one cannot wait to zero the scope and get it setup for a particular round with Nikon SpotOn, which will Easily let me calculate ballistic data and write down what the 4 bullet drop compensator dots mean for point of impact. A suburban SHTF sniper could not ask for more!

Thanks much, -tAK
Old November 28, 2012, 08:58 PM   #2
tAKticool

bump=- nobody with Nikon Monarch or target turret installation experience?
Old November 29, 2012, 04:53 PM   #3
JMP

Its not near as big of a deal as you are making it out to be. Its a very simple and straightforward thing to do, the only thing you can mess up really is where the scope is set. Take the short turrets off and put the tall ones on. That's all there is to it.

I put the tall ones on before I sighted in the rifle then took the screw out of the turrets (the side turret won't stay on so it was on the bench next to me to use for adjustment) while I was sighting it in so I didn't screw up the adjustment trying to loosen them after the gun was sighted in.
Old December 2, 2012, 04:06 PM   #4
rev579

Turrets

I set up a scope(sweet 22) with load specific turrets and found them to be really nice and worth the work. the good news is if you screw something up, you can fix it AND you'll know more about the process after the fact.
I say do it.
I am just waiting to get away and work on a couple of new scope/rifle combos myself. A shooting sled/lead sled would truly be helpful in anything you do.

Favorites: Mauser 98 25-06 • S/C 30-06 • '75 Vanguard .243 • Rem 1100's • Rem 580's • Beretta 92, 81, & 8000 Series • Marlin 60's
Old December 2, 2012, 09:09 PM   #5
chucknbach

Just zero it and put the caps back on. When you figure out how to use the turrets you'll know how to put them on.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:45 PM   #6
tAKticool

Yeah I installed the turrets and I know how to zero a scope.

My question is, I'm not sure how to exactly do this so it is working correctly.

I am trying to say, what is the process here. So now I go out and zero it by turning the turrets however they need to be turned to zero it, then I have to somehow "reset" them so I can dial in distances in the future, that is the part that is confusing me.

Once I zero it, how do I "reset" it so I am set up for the future, that is wht I cn't figure out and needed help with.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:33 PM   #7
chucknbach

Take them off after you zero it. Put them back on with the zero mark on the the front vertical line. Note which horizontal line the bottom of the turret is on so if you dial for range you can get it back to zero.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:48 PM   #8
chucknbach

Take the turret completely off after you zero it, Without turning the mechanism! put it back on with the zero (0) on the vertical line.

This is what it'll look like. Keep track of which horizontal line it is on. (notice mine is on the 4 line.) After you've dialed for range, turn it back to zero and your numbered line. (mine would be 4) You will then be back on your zero.

Last edited by chucknbach; December 3, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:15 AM   #9
tAKticool

THAT WAS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS ASKING AND LOOKING FOR, *** THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH ***.

To be honest I *assumed* it was about that right there but, we know what happens when I assume and I admit, I am not a trained sniper.

I am not exactly a novice nor an idiot, but this is my first time installing the turrets and of course this is my first time building/ setting up my own tactical rifle , so my excitement is tempered by a little 'nervousness.' ... it's a lot different once you have everything set up and the rifle in your closet is "good to go", the process getting there always makes me nervous, I dont want to "mess something up" etc.

Anyway you two guys really really helped, please accept my humble thanks from the heart, Thank you. very much.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:31 AM   #10
rev579

It feels good to understand, to feel equipped and to know you did it yourself. Pretty empowering. Post target results!

Favorites: Mauser 98 25-06 • S/C 30-06 • '75 Vanguard .243 • Rem 1100's • Rem 580's • Beretta 92, 81, & 8000 Series • Marlin 60's
Old December 4, 2012, 02:43 PM   #11
tAKticool

TURNS OUT THE SCOPE WAS DEFECTIVE- Lol had to go back. I just had an ORDEAL lol.

I worked on it and could not get it bore sighted. My laser boresighter is a cheap one so I took it into Dick'sSportingGoods to have them "help"... I figured even if they didn't know what they were doing, I do, and I could just say, here man lemme use your stuff I'll do it.

NOW I SUSPECTED I had received an "open box" because something was off about the package I received- like someone else had opened it first and returned it and I got it next. I can't specify what was wrong just I felt it. Sure enough the guy at Dick's was like, dude I am not even CLOSE... I have turned it as far right as I can, you're still WAAAY left... and we have both checked your mounts as good, rings good, moved the scope around a little, this ain't even close...so We had to return it.

Only the 5-20x44mm were all sold out on Dick's website. The manager offered to split the difference on the 6-24x50mm Nikoplex (rather than BDC) reticle.... AS WE ARE DOING THE ORDER ONline, someone orders the ONLY 6-24x50mm model ... SOLD OUT... no scopes for me!!!

It tooks hours for them to finally find a scope they could special order for me, I'm pretty sure they just bought one from someone else and are having it delivered to them for me lol. But hey, they really took care of me , they Hooked me up with a huge discounted price and then a few gift cards (They *REALLY* took care of me in the end).

So I will have to wait about a week or two for a new one to come in and I will have to go back and see if we can't mount and bore sight the new one.
Old December 4, 2012, 04:36 PM   #12
rev579

one of those days, huh? Well, when you get the right one, it will work like a charm and seem easier than it should.
FWIW, I still do the old fashioned method. Get it on paper close, zero it on paper, close. sight it in at 50 yards with a 100/150 Zero, then finish the deed. In theory, we ought to be about to sight it in, zeroed to what we want, one shot after hitting paper, using a a sight-in target, such as this one from Cabela's

Old December 13, 2012, 01:56 PM   #13
tAKticool

OK UPDATE LOL - BIG TIME Update.

*FINALLY* At long last the scope came in yesterday and i went in today. I had been calling last week Thurs and Fri for updates, Monday, tuesday, tuesday was told it was coming Wednesday, Wednesday (yesterday) i was told *OH YEAH It just came in 5 mins ago* (at like 5pm) and so tolday I went in.

And while I was dismayed the kid opened the box (I mean, I kind of wanted to see it sealed up and witness it being all perfect and pristine etc.) he had a valid point, he needed to check it to make sure it was acceptable etc. He proceeds to mount it up and get the boresighter out and says ,Dude, same problem, take alook. This boresighter is this device which goes in the bore, and has a big window which projects a large graph like graph paper from school, with a crosshair in the middle. AGAIN we are *WAY OFF* with no more adjustments left. We both say, THIS SUCKS, but wait, it* can't * be two scopes in a row same exact problem. He asks about the mount and rings and I told him what he already knew: They were both high quality parts from Leupold, installed by a gunsmith. I did point out the LGS Gunsmith was pretty old (grandfather age) and who knows his actual training, experience, skill etc. ALSO I did point out, when I asked him to do it, it was cause NICS was taking a while, and I had some time, he said sure. As soon as he went to get started (He hd sid, I'm bordd so it will be fun to take up time) a million people started asking him for help and opinions and side jobs (They basically saw me ask him for help and started wth OH SINCE YOURE DOING HIS CAN YO DO MY GLOCK SIGHTS / CAN YOU BORESIGHT MY .22 ? CAN YOU CLEAN MY AR / ETC>) So he might have rushed thru or even fouled up while ding it.

So the kid searches high and low for a new mount, they had a large rack of different size and shape and brand RINGS for scopes and quite a bit of larger Weaver branded rails for wierd rifles (Weatherby magnums and Howas And browning ABolt/Xbolt/BLR and Sako/Tikka Superdooperalleyooper hunters) but not a darned Rem 700 .. I was so PO'd I stood there going thru every pievce on the racks shelf hand by hnd piece pievce and I found two miniature rails designed to be Rem 700 FRONT mount rails (I dont know if you CAN but I intended to use two front mounts for the rifle)... When I came into the back room it had it all installed... Basically I believe what he did was took a brand new 700 combo package from the box, unmount the scope it came with, cannibalized the mount it came with by removing it, and then gave me the mount and rails to mount on my Rem 700. We then took some high quality Large rings from their selection that mounted correctly, tried it out on my rifle w new mount and the scope, and Presto Chango Fly Slamma Jamma - we had liftoff.

We then proceeded as normal, he tried out the scope mount, adjusted a little for me and my preferences, boresighted/ adjusted /tightened it down and then we wre gravy baby!
Old December 13, 2012, 02:04 PM   #14
tAKticool

Ooops I hadn't finished.

He did say he thought it took a little too many adjustment clicks one direction (either up/down or right/left) he said I was pretty close to perfectly on the bullseye, would need to perfect it on the paper, but I only had 7 or so clicks left (which left me wondering, if I have 1/8 MOA clicks, that means, 7 clicks , i only have what, like an Inch of adjusting left @ 100 yds or so? Hope I get it on target properly lol.

Other than that I'm pretty happy. Turns out it wasnt the scope in the first place it was most likely my hardware or skilled gunsmiths work... And i WOund up getting a lot of discounts and therefore gift cards to boot plus the extra discounted aka free new mount and new rings... and they are High rings which was better for the 44mm scope, better for me and my body and shouldering/sighting... and better for clearance of the bolt and with the Flip Up cover caps now on i can use them with the bolt before I could not, the bolt caught the flip up cover caps.

SO I am pretty happy. I got 180 rounds of .308 Win with the $190ish in gift cards I had been given earlier for my troubles (5 boxes of Hornady Zombie Max I68 Grain Z-Max bullet .308 Win [32.99 but MidwayUSA has it for $26.99 lool] and one box of American Eagle 150 gr .308 to round it out.. then I realized I could not afford ny more ammo but bought more cleaning suppliesl cost me 44 out of pocket but Oh Well. Lol.]

I am happy... I got the sniper rifle fairly set up and ready to snipe ... Ready to be shot and broken in and sighted in more truthfully but ready nonetheless...

NIKON MONARCH for the win .. .DICKS for the Win as well.