The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 6, 2011, 08:04 PM   #1
BikerRN

Browning Lever Action

Howdy all.

I'm in search of a .300 Win Mag and instead of a bolt was looking at the Browning. Anybody know anything them? I'm considering one for longer distance shooting in hunting situations, 500 yards, on game like Elk, Moose, Black Bear, and Caribou.

I've always been of the opinion that bolt actions are more accurate, but I haven't confirmed that by testing two rifles of the same caliber in each platform. I like the portability of the Lever Action and have hunted with a .243 Lever Action years ago.

I already have a bolt action .308 Scout Rifle as my main hunting rifle, but want something else for specialized situations. Thanks in advance for your help.

Biker
Old April 7, 2011, 07:31 AM   #2
Doyle

I've heard reports of good accuracy out of the BLR - but only if it is not one of the takedown models. Also, the pistol gripped models appear to be more accurate than the model 81 straight gripped. The model 81 has a barrel band (which is rarely a good thing when you are talking about accuracy).

My "dream" rifle is to find a pistol gripped BLR in .308 with either a shot out or pitted barrel that I can get really cheap then have the barrel reamed to .338 Federal.
Old April 7, 2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Scorch

Browning BLRs are typically as accurate as a bolt action rifle. Years ago, a friend of mine bought one in 243 and amazed us with its accuracy on rockchucks at 400-ish yds.
Old April 7, 2011, 02:40 PM   #4
Rob3
Registration in progress

I love lever guns too. I had a 308 BLR take down for about 3 years. I wound up selling it because I did not like the stock. It has a thick, glossy poly coating that scratches and dings way too easily for a hunting rifle. If they ever make one in an oiled stock I would buy another one. This one shot about 1.5 to 2 MOA but would probably shoot better than what I could do with it. The long actions have long lever throws but still faster than a bolt action.
Old April 7, 2011, 02:51 PM   #5
IDAHO83501

I shot a BLR in 300 Win. mag. While it was accurate and the action is SMOOTH compared to other lever guns I have shot such as the Winchester and Marlin, I would not want to buy one myself. The stock is thick, and maybe because of the angle of the back of the stock, the rifle seems to really whip up when fired. It seemed much more apt to whip up than a bolt action rifle shooting the same round. Maybe I was doing something wrong, I'm not sure, but I remember thinking that although it is an attractive gun to look at, I would rather have a bolt action, or a semi-auto like the BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) in a magnum rifle.
Old April 7, 2011, 03:22 PM   #6
LSnSC

Ive had a couple of BLR's. The short actions were better IMO. The long action bolt will almost hit you in the eye at the end of its travel.
Old April 10, 2011, 02:13 AM   #7
UpstateGlocker

I've got a BLR in .308. Great gun, IMHO. Light enough to be a field gun for hunting when carrying a couple miles, very accurate, never had a mechanical problem. With my 1.5-4x scope its about a perfect deer gun for me. I've never been a bolt fan and don't own one, but the BLR is as accurate as a bolt due to the very strong lock-up so I don't feel like I'm compromising anything. I've also got 2 Marlin 1894s in .44Mag but the BLR is a class above Marlin in workmanship and quality.
Old April 10, 2011, 08:06 AM   #8
Jim243

Just a couple of observations.

I love my lever action 336C in 35 Remington but would not try it in 300 Win Mag.

I would rather have the more secure lockup of a bolt action rifle with the higher pressures and longer range of a 24 inch barrel.

I use a 270 and 30-06 and they can take any animal in North America that can be legally hunted. The only advantage of a 300 Win Mag would be for long range shots of 400 or 500 yards. This means longer barrels and higher pressure in the chamber.

Browning rifles are or were of excelent quality, I can only speak of those made by FN overseas years ago. As to those made today, I would check with owners of current models to see if the same can be said of those made here.

If range and accuracy is your primary concern, it is my humble opinion that a bolt action rifle would be a better choice in 300 Win Mag.

Just my 5 and 1/2 cents.
Jim
Old April 10, 2011, 09:14 AM   #9
Big Pard

You mention wanting a BLR 300 win mag for portability so I would suggest handling one before purchasing as they are big frame guns and the L.O.P tends to be longer than the short action guns. But I do really like the short action BLRs as they are accurate and quick pointing. Good Luck