The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 18, 2008, 01:54 PM   #1
James Kain

Cast Bullets coating

I was told of a liquid lead bullet coating that helps prevent leading. Is there a such thing? If so it would help alot! and what is the best, and biggest bang for the buck? I m tired of tryin to clean out all the lead after putting 50+ rounds in a after noon. (loves to shoot and alot!)
Old July 18, 2008, 04:27 PM   #2
cdrt

They were probably talking about Lee Liquid Alox. Here's the link to the product page at Midway
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...811&t=11082005
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old July 18, 2008, 04:54 PM   #3
LHB1

James,
What bullet and load are you shooting? Perhaps you need to try some other bullets or loads. Would suggest cleaning the barrel THOROUGHLY when switching from jacketed bullets to cast lead bullets. Would also suggest hard cast bullets with a good lube rather than softer swaged bullets which lead more IME. I can shoot 100 cast bullet loads thru my .45 ACP 1911's or .44 Mag S&W's without leading problems. Cast bullets can be a little more finicky than jacketed bullets but when you get a good load in a clean barrel, they are wonderfully accurate and with little or not leading.
Old July 18, 2008, 05:16 PM   #4
James Kain

1903a3

I use mostly is a 1903A3 30.06. I m shooting a 171Gr gas checked bullet at about 1950fps. at fifty yards I have to say tack driver.
Old July 18, 2008, 06:41 PM   #5
Crosshair

I tumble lube using a combination of Lee Alox and Johnson's Paste Wax that works very well. Mostly paste wax with a good bit of Alox.
Old July 18, 2008, 08:16 PM   #6
James Kain

tumble coat

I have a sidewinder turbo tumbler! I don't think that would work all that great! I d have them come out full of dents! even if I could I d have to pick up another drum. I d be better off getting a vib tumbler due the the cost of new drum! $100!!!! I ll keep a eye for a elcheep'o deluxe! Then I can look at any lead coat on the market....
Old July 18, 2008, 09:06 PM   #7
LHB1

Sorry James, I thought you were talking about pistol loads. Rifle loads are even more tricky as you have found. The most successful rifle cast bullets I ever used were the SAECO RG-4, about 195 gr, lubed with the NRA ALOX formula (50% pure beeswax, 50% ALOX) and crimp on Hornady gas checks. Redding still stocks this bullet mould (#301, 196 gr TCGC). In fact, I probably still have my original SAECO mould, purchased after several conversations with Bob Modisette, owner of the company. You might also try bullet mould #307, FPGC. I didn't have a chrono when shooting the original RG-4 bullets so many years ago but estimated my loads using medium burning rate rifle powders at about 1800-1900 fps. Some other cast rifle bullets were totally useless and would even keyhole at 25 yds and lead the barrel horribly in just 10 shots. Good luck in finding a suitable bullet and load.
Old July 18, 2008, 11:24 PM   #8
Crosshair

I just hand tumble them using an old Telex shower cleaner bottle. It has handle indentations on the side that provide for good mixing action so you don't just end up swishing things around. By slowly hand tumbling I ensure that all the lube gets mixed good and the boolits get coated good as well.
Old July 18, 2008, 11:44 PM   #9
James Kain

Wax?

Whats the best kind? just toss in a bucket and hand tumble for a few min?
Old July 19, 2008, 10:30 AM   #10
Crosshair

Johnson's Paste Wax seems to work great with bit of Alox into the mix. I lube, size them, and lube them again.
Old July 19, 2008, 11:17 AM   #11
James Kain

Moly vs wax

Which is better, moly or wax? What is the advantage and disadvantage of both?
Old July 19, 2008, 12:06 PM   #12
Crosshair

You add Moly coating in addition to regular bullet lube. Moly doesn't replace bullet lube.
Old July 19, 2008, 06:17 PM   #13
James Kain

Replace

I wasnt looking to replace the bullet lube just help prevent the leading of the barrel.
Old July 19, 2008, 08:30 PM   #14
Crosshair

Quote:
I wasnt looking to replace the bullet lube just help prevent the leading of the barrel.
Wait, are you shooting unlubricated lead bullets? If you are, that is your problem right there. Am I understanding you correctly?
Old July 19, 2008, 08:34 PM   #15
armoredman

I lube tumble lube bullets in an old Tupperware container, dribble on some heated LLA, and swish them puppies around until they are coated, and let stand in a box in the garage overnight. No issues at all. A little messy, but fast and easy.
No lube at all means leading, no question about that! Do you visit castboolits.gunloads.com? Great casting site.
Old July 19, 2008, 08:43 PM   #16
James Kain

Super Moly Lube

I use my lube sizer with super moly. I used to use moly made grease in the army so I know and trust it. I was just looking for something to make the cleaning easier and to help preventing the lead build up. Or is it just common to use quarter bag or more of patches? I was wondering if the moly powder would help keep the leading down more so then the wax dip?
Old July 22, 2008, 04:35 AM   #17
jimkim

I dont know if this site will give you what you are looking for. I think you might like the molygraphite/beeswax fomula. I hope it was helpful. http://bulletlubes.com/
Old July 22, 2008, 09:45 AM   #18
James Kain

Not replacement

Well that I m looking for is not a replacement, but just something to keep the leading down. Unless that is the only way of doing it?

Here is a brain teaser, what kind of cast bullet is good for hunting? I m thinking shape/design?

These are what I m currently using for target shooting, any good for coyote?
Lyman 311359 - .308
311672 - .308
(In the mail) 266673 - 6.5mm
I know the they will rip threw, but how about the after math?
Old August 28, 2008, 09:15 AM   #19
James Kain

Would adding the molly powder on top of the normal bullet lube work?