The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 1, 2006, 05:00 AM   #1
Glock 31

Rethinking my tactics

As I've mentioned in previous threads and posts, I deliver pizza. No no, don't applaud. I know I have facilitated many a party that was in dire need of munchies. And as I have mentioned, I carry my Glock 31 in my car when I'm on the clock. And if all the other usual justifications for doing so weren't enough, many's the time a friendly pot party (usually the number one cause of munchies), could just as easily be a coke party (not quite so friendly).

Up until now I assumed the store where I work at was a generally safe area. It's in a big parking lot on the end of a strip mall with a Hobby Lobby, and a Hastings on the far side. It's about a football field sized lot from end to end, maybe a little less. There are drivers coming and going all the time.

It has come to my attention however that one of our drivers, a small quiet Native American girl, has been sexually assaulted (attempted) once, and generally assaulted two other times. The latest of which, one of the pizza cooks had to chase off the perpetrators when it occured (around 11p.m.).

Tonight she had to go home early because someone tried to force her off the road causing her to slam on her brakes and damaging them. She was ok but shaken up. Now this many incidents for one person is rather odd, maybe it's due to the kind of crowd she runs with. However I don't really know her at all, nor do I know anything about the crowd she runs with, if she runs with any crowd at all. So not taking any of that into consideration, I realized I wasn't as safe as I thought I was. A generally busy parking lot and several employees close at hand doesn't seem to be enough anymore.

What I need are some tips and advice on how to carry a gun concealed. Now generally I know how to do this, but the ways that I know of won't allow for my work uniform. And if it comes to light that I carry, (on my person or in my car period) I would be fired. But better fired than dead right? My uniform consists of slacks, and a company shirt. The problem is the shirt has to be tucked in. My pants have cargo pockets on the legs, but they are needed for cash and pepper/cheese packets. The left side pocket is for a change bank (change for a $20 in ones and fives), and the right pocket is open for the most part. I need to figure out what gun (preferably .380 or larger) to use, and how I would comfortably conceal it on my person so that it is;

1. Easily accessible,
2. Completely hidden from a 360 degree point of view,
3. Not dragging down on my pants like it would free floating in a cargo pocket.

Remember my shirt has to stay tucked in for professional appearance, and the gun should be small, maybe mini-glock small. But not puny Kel-Tec .38 small. My hand just does not hold onto the Kel-Tec pocket pistols worth a darn when I test fired the last one.

A Bersa .380 would be acceptible, but the problem of hiding it remains.

And yes I have the necessary permits.
Old May 1, 2006, 05:35 AM   #2
threegun

Fanny pack. It could be your bank/change/peppercheese/gun all in one. Perfect for the pizza delivery guy. Get the uncle mikes and you can open half of it and grip your gun without alarming anyone.....pretty cool.
Old May 1, 2006, 05:53 AM   #3
XavierBreath

A J Frame in the pocket is worth twenty Glocks in the car. If you need discrete carry, that is what I recommend. Your car will always be nearby in a parking lot. Have a fullsize weapon of choice in the car. Stick a J frame in your right front pocket (not the cargo pocket) and use it to get you to the car where you have more firepower. 98% of all lethal confrontations/gunfights are over in under three shots anyway. It is true that you are playing probabilities, but we do that every day in all activities. If you looked at traffic statistics, you would likely not even go to work.

The real trick is getting used to not using that pocket for anything else.

Obviously swap sides if you are lefthanded.
Old May 1, 2006, 07:22 AM   #4
tegemu

I second the pocket carry suggestion. You can move around with your hand on the grip of the pistol or reach for it without brandishing it and when/if the occasion for use arises, ZIP there it is. I carry a .45 ACP Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Sam Andrews pocket holster, very comfortably. www.andrewsleather.com
Old May 1, 2006, 08:22 AM   #5
Mikeyboy

+1 on the pocket carry. Bersa are nice but a little big. If you want you can go with a Kel-tec P-3AT (they have grip extensions, my hands are too big to, but I tried a p-32 with a 10 round magazine and grip extension and it was a better fit.) or a NAA guardian .380 which are very concealable and pocket carry friendly, Or try a .38 lightweight revolver or a small 9mm (Kel Tec or Kahr).

Sounds like the girl needs to carry more than you do.
Old May 1, 2006, 10:42 AM   #6
kjdoski

A Kahr PM9 might be perfect for you, with a good pocket holster or "tuckable" holster. Either way you wouldn't "print" very badly, especially if you use the short 6-round mag and put the 7 rounder in your opposite pocket for a reload...

Regards,

Kevin
Old May 1, 2006, 11:51 AM   #7
pickpocket

Yup - Kahr 9mm or Kahr P40 in a fanny pack would be plenty of firepower for what you need.

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old May 1, 2006, 12:21 PM   #8
springmom

agree with the fanny pack

A Bersa .380 or a nice little J-frame revolver will do you. Xavierbreath gave you VERY good advice about the full-size in the car and the backup to get you BACK to the car.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old May 1, 2006, 02:50 PM   #9
threegun

Carry the G-31 in a fanny pack. You already have the gun just get the fanny pack to allow its carry. I promise you will be surprised at how wonderful and easy concealed carry is using it. Why settle for a smaller gun? The Glock weights less than many smaller guns anyway. With the fanny pack size is no problem only weight causes complications like crushed eggs and pinched waistlines. The Glock doesn't weight enough to cause those however.
Old May 1, 2006, 03:11 PM   #10
Dre_sa

a friend of mine carrie a manurhin p-1 (essentially a walther p-38 exact copy thereof). he carries it in an IWB holster at roughly 1 o'clock. this is really easy for him, because of the exposed barrel of the weapon, he just seems to find it comfortable.
well anyway, he has never been spotted while carrying, he has carried to formal occasions, requiring a tucked in shirt, aswell as occasions requiring a tucked shirt and no jacket. his daily wear is jeans and t-shirt, usually untucked.
he is also rather scrawny (very thin).
i think its the combination of a thin gun, in a good position that has led to absolutely no printing when carrying.
Old May 1, 2006, 03:19 PM   #11
Musketeer

Use either a tuckable holster by Bladetech or www.crossbreedholsters.com or go with a www.smartcarry.com
Old May 1, 2006, 03:21 PM   #12
Musketeer

One other thing. Normally I am NOT a fan of Fanny Pack carry but in this case I se no problem. I deliverred pizza in Florida years ago and it was not uncommon for drivers to use a fanny pack to carry money in. Make certain you have one designed for a gun, not easily removed by someone else.
Old May 1, 2006, 03:39 PM   #13
westphoenix

Where do you live/work?
Old May 1, 2006, 04:02 PM   #14
oystermick

Now that the weather is warming, my daily summer carry is a NAA .32naa in a palehorse "Night Owl" front pocket holster. It is totally unnoticeable. It would be the same for a Seecamp or any other such sized pistol.
http://www.palehorseholsters.com/pocket.htm
Old May 1, 2006, 04:38 PM   #15
pickpocket

Any legal issues mounting a .30 cal. coaxial MG on the front of your car?

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old May 1, 2006, 05:12 PM   #16
choochboost

While delivering pizza, a fanny pack is a great idea for carrying money but not for carrying your gun IMO. If the door opens and you get a gun stuck in your face there's a great chance they'll take the whole fanny pack (that's where the money is). If your gun is in there too, you've just been disarmed. There's no way you want to keep your gun where you keep your money. Even if the money was in your front pocket and the fanny pack was just for your gun it will still be assumed by the BG that your money is in your fanny pack. With the money in the pack and your gun elsewhere, you have the option of taking the fanny pack off and giving it to them. This keeps the BG from potentially discovering your gun while they go through your many pockets looking for your cash and keeps your armed response options open.

Regarding your uniform, I know are you are required to tuck in your shirt, but are you permitted to wear a jacket? If so, that creates a lot of options.
Old May 1, 2006, 06:51 PM   #17
Blackwater OPS

+1 to the J frame, a good lightweight .38 will get you out of most situations. As for CCW the fanny pack could work, esp. if worn "reverse". It would not seem to out of place for a pizza guy. Another option is an ankle holster, this is the best option if you might have to draw while in the car IMO. Uncle Mikes makes a great one for the .38.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old May 2, 2006, 01:13 AM   #18
Glock 31

Thanks for all the great links, tips, and advice. I have a Taurus Titanium .38spcl snub, and I'm thinking that it would work great with a J-Frame pocket holster. I'll double check some of the links (I particularly like the Andrew's custom leather site) and let you know what I decide on and how it works out, at least when I can afford to order something. Gas being what it is I have to watch every nickel. Thanks again.
Old May 2, 2006, 02:58 AM   #19
guntotin_fool

the pizza guy we have carries what looks like a tool belt but smaller with about 5 pockets on the left side for marinara dipping sauce, cheese and pepper pacs, it just hangs off his belt, I have always assumed it also hid a firearm under it, but today He showed up and I saw that he had a heavy looking object in his right pants cargo pocket. Which I would assume was his weapon.
Old May 2, 2006, 05:41 AM   #20
tegemu

If you decide to go with one of Sam Andrews pocket holsters you will not be disappointed. With My 45 in it (a lot of gun), it does not print. Call and talk with Sam, he is a great stand up and nice guy.
Old May 3, 2006, 12:44 AM   #21
SrtDog

Thats a tough question to answer.

I would bet that several people on here carry diff pistols on them everyday. Every time I leave the house I have either my 3" XD 40, Glock 19, or my Kel-Tec 32 on me. It is sometimes a ROYAL pain in the butt figuring what shows/dosent show with what outfit. My suggestion is to try several different pistols and find what fits your frame with the outfit that you will be wearing day in and day out...and of course only with pistols that you are comfortable with. Easy enough, huh?

A few other suggestions. The best concealed carry is one that is:
1. Legal
2. One that you can shoot both confidently and accurately

---Hope this helps.

I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.
- General George Patton Jr

If you're going through hell, keep going.
- Winston Churchill