The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 12, 2015, 12:37 PM   #1
Bucksnort1

Handle

The curved handle on my Lee Turret Press is not comfortable for me to use. You can't sit directly in front of the press because the handle is too long. I've used it with the hand hold on the opposite side from my body and I've used it with the hand hold on my side but it just isn't comfortable.

Last night, I retrieved the straight handle from my original RCBS Partner press and attached it to the Lee. The .5" diameter is the same as the Lee handle so it fit well. The only problem is the Partner handle is a bit shorter; I want one just a few inches longer.

I thought about buying a .5", 3' piece of solid round steel, which I can cut to the proper length then I could add some sort of handle.

I'm asking if anyone has ideas (not so expensive) for this situation. Thanks.
Old May 12, 2015, 01:55 PM   #2
CowTowner

Not exactly low cost, but this may give you some ideas:
http://inlinefabrication.com/collections/lee
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old May 12, 2015, 02:14 PM   #3
TheFineLine

+1 on inlinefabrication. I put their short ergo on my hornady lnl a week ago or so and it is worth it.
Old May 12, 2015, 02:58 PM   #4
Smoke & Recoil

With my Lee Classic Turret press...I bent the stock handle (lever) to the right
to give more room between the primer tray and to give my body more room.
This may help you too, and just to be clear here, I'm speaking of the round
STEEL lever...not the aluminum lever.
Old May 12, 2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Bucksnort1

My turret is not the classic. The classic has a straight handle with a wood ball on the end. I think mine has the curved handle for clearance but so far, the short straight works just fine so I'm not sure why the bend in the handle. I may try to straighten it in my work bench vise.
Old May 12, 2015, 07:23 PM   #6
snakeye

Did you try loosening the bolt attaching the handle and slide the handle down some more to shorten the throw of the handle
Old May 13, 2015, 09:16 AM   #7
Bucksnort1

Snakeye,

Yes, I've placed the handle in just about every conceivable position. I've had the handle on the left and right side of the press with the grip pointing left and right on both sides and I've shortened the handle by repositioning it. Last night, I moved it back to the left side of the press with the grip facing to the left. I haven't had it in this position for a while. It seems more comfortable so I will leave it there for a while.

Maybe there is a bend in the handle to allow you to sit in front of the press if you shorten the length. I think I tried this which is the reason I think I sit too far away from the press. The Classic press and my Rock Chucker have straight handles but they are canted to the outside for clearance when sitting in front of the press.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:05 AM   #8
mikld

I don't sit directly in front of my press(s). I always sit to the left and get better access to the press; inserting/removing cases...
Old May 13, 2015, 11:17 AM   #9
Bucksnort1

Mikld, that has been my preferred method to use the press but, as I said, I find the 90 degree bend on the grip being my problem. If I have the grip pointing at me, it's in the way of my right thigh. If I have it pointing the opposite direction, it's uncomfortable on my hand. I'm going to Home Depot today to look for a piece of .5" round steel from which to make a straight handle. Heck, my Rock Chucker handle is ideal but it is .625" in diameter and won't fit in the Lee press.
Old May 13, 2015, 02:30 PM   #10
Sevens

I have heard from many folks who believe that all (or most?) of their ergonomic issues evaporated when they moved to a new bench that was totally designed around doing work (or specifically press work) while standing.

I can't be sure myself because as I have mentioned before, I run a hybrid system where much of the repetitive work is done on a progressive press and much less of it is now done on my single stage, but my point is that I actually do both.

Single stage while seated
Progressive while standing

My point? It could be that you find the holy grail of handles that eventually addresses the ergonomic problems you face... but it could also be that you NEVER find it to your satisfaction. If you find that the problem doesn't go away...

...consider setting up a temporary bench/riser and working your press while standing and see if perhaps that ends up being the better answer.

Good luck!
Old May 13, 2015, 06:04 PM   #11
Bucksnort1

Sevens, I like your idea; however, I have some serious pain in my lower back when I stand for long periods but I guess the answer to that situation is to stand, do some work, then sit for a while. I'll give it some thought. Standing would surely eliminate the problem with the curved handle and the 90 degree grip. Thanks.

I went to Home Depot and bought a 3' piece of .5" solid steel with the idea of making a straight handle, which I mentioned earlier. On the way home, I stopped a place called, "Restore". Restores are owned by Habitat For Humanity. People can donate tools, furnishings, and all sorts of stuff which can be purchased for a song. I found a basket full black wrought iron balusters for $1 each so I bought one and returned the $6 piece from Home Depot. For those who don't know, balusters are the vertical pieces on a railing in a home or deck. The baluster has a decorative twisted center, which gives it some flare. Because the baluster is square and slightly larger than .5", I will have to grind a round area for attaching to the Lee press. I will buy or make a round knob for it. If I don't like this, I'll go back to the one that came with the unit.

Last edited by Bucksnort1; May 13, 2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old May 13, 2015, 09:41 PM   #12
Sevens

If it ends up working and you post pictures... You will -forever- have folks asking you about your totally cool press handle and where they can buy one!
Old May 14, 2015, 02:28 PM   #13
sawdustdad

I reloaded sitting for 30 years. Recently bought and started using the InLine Fabrication riser with interchangeable plates for a pair of Square Deal presses and my Rock Chucker.

I quickly discovered that standing is actually more comfortable than sitting, and I find my production has increased considerably, with both the single stage and the progressive. I don't have back issues, per se, so standing is not a chore, but I do use an anti-fatigue shop mat to stand on.

As suggested, mock up something temporarily to see what you think about a standing posture. The fact that you can now move your body to size rifle cases or large pistol cases removes some of the stress from your arms and upper body. I wish I had done this years ago. And the InLine stuff is nice.
Old May 15, 2015, 08:39 AM   #14
CowTowner

I love the inline equipment I have added to my presses. Reloading is much more comfortable with everything at the proper height.
I still keep a stool under the bench to take a seat for certain tasks or an occasional break.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old May 15, 2015, 09:19 PM   #15
Bucksnort1

Handle

Sevens, as soon as I can determine how to make photos fit the attachment requirement on the Firing Line, I will post photos.