The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 16, 2008, 08:44 PM   #1
hockeysew

Broken Ejector block pin-1911

I am in the process of rebuilding a Stainless Colt XSE for myself. On pulling it all apart I noticed the ejector block was a touch loose. I gave it a solid pull and guess what-Yup, out it comes out of the frame. The pin for it had broken at some point in time and the only thing that had been holding it in was a bunch of goo and debris.
The remainder of the pin is still in the frame and will not budge from either side. I tried a touch of heat in case it had been Loc-Tited but again no luck. I dont want to try more heat and chance pulling the temper on the frame.

To the best of my knowledge the pin is hardened steel so drilling is out. Any ideas?
EDM machining?

HELP
Old October 16, 2008, 09:47 PM   #2
Slopemeno

Are you talking about one of the "legs" of the ejector,, or the small pin that retains the ejector itself?

If its the pin, a 1/16" punch should do it. One of the things you'll go through in 'smithing is punches. You might try to make a "starting-punch" out of a already proken-off Starret puch. The shorter length will allow you to really wail on the puch and get the pin moving. Once it gets moving you can revert to the regular punch.

Hopefully you have a .45 auto bench block. THATS a handy tool. If you don't buy or make one out of aluminum or delrin.
Old October 16, 2008, 09:59 PM   #3
hockeysew

Quote:
Are you talking about one of the "legs" of the ejector,, or the small pin that retains the ejector itself?
Nope- The small pin. I have a small "Starter" punch and yes I did give it a good wailing. No budge at all. I thought about a Carbide drill bit but I am not anxious about breaking that off in it
Old October 16, 2008, 10:01 PM   #4
Slopemeno

Have you tried it from the other side?
Old October 16, 2008, 10:08 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have never heard of an ejector pin breaking and especially breaking in such a way that the ejector can come out without itself being broken. Are you sure the leg of the ejector is not broken off at the notch with the bottom part remaining in the hole?

Jim
Old October 16, 2008, 10:48 PM   #6
hockeysew

Quote:
I have never heard of an ejector pin breaking and especially breaking in such a way that the ejector can come out without itself being broken. Are you sure the leg of the ejector is not broken off at the notch with the bottom part remaining in the hole?
Positive Jim.

Your not going to believe this one. On a whim I figured I would take a 1/16 bit in the press and check to see if the pin was hardened.
Spin up the press and put a bit of pressure on the bit. I went through the side that was missing the pin and I had a few shavings come up. Then all of a sudden the bit goes deep into the hole. I had this sickening feeling I had just shattered the bit in the hole and let up on the press. The bit was intact and I figure what the H? I look at the other side of the frame and there is the pin, pressed out slicker than snot.
The only thing I can figure is it just had enough of a burr to keep it from driving through and I must have knocked enough of it down and out came the remainder.
Strange.
Anyway I'm a happy dawg in the sunshine now!

It almost looks as though someone had replaced the ejector and didnt file the notch for the pin correctly so the pin would not go all the way through. The piece of the pin was only about 3/8" long, too short to be normal. I think they drove it in from the right side of the frame and didnt get the leg of the ejector, but rather just mushroomed it a bit and cut the pin short.
I think to be on the safe side I will follow Kuehnhausens advice and drill it oversize to a #52.
Should I use a roll pin or solid pin it?
Old October 17, 2008, 12:22 AM   #7
Slopemeno

Well, now you've got a submission for "Gunsmith Kinks"..

I think you'll find solid pins are easier to live with long term. Rollpins work, but I prefer solid pins.