Sig 229 .40 S&W
1 Factory 10rd mag
2 ProMag 10rd mgs

Uncle Mike's 1 1/2" reinforced leather dress belt
Fobus Paddle Holster
Fobus Double mag holder (belt)
Fobus Paddle Single Mag holder

Peltor HB10B Neckband Muffs

I was thinking of getting a Hogue PowerSpeed since it says with the high-ride attachment it is considered a concealment rig and therefore IDPA legal. I could'nt find anything saying that PowerSpeed holsters are approved by IDPA for competition use though.

Can anyone give me reccomendations on the following equipment:

- eye protection (that can be worn OVER small wireframed glasses)
- adjustable mag holders (in double or single IDPA legal)
- timer
> $109 RU Ready RF Timer http://www.targettimers.com/ru_ready.html
> $129 Competition Electronics Pocket Pro
> $139 Pact Club Timer III (Midway)

Would adding some kind of rubber to the base of my mags be illegal for IDPA ?

thanks,

Dave
Old August 20, 2004, 08:05 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Let me say to start with that I do not recommend you rush out and buy a lot of stuff until you have shot for a while with what you have on hand and only what else might be absolutely necessary. That said, I think that:

Sig 229 .40 S&W
1 Factory 10rd mag
2 ProMag 10rd mgs

*Fine gun. Do you KNOW the Promags work every time all the time?

Uncle Mike's 1 1/2" reinforced leather dress belt
Fobus Paddle Holster
Fobus Double mag holder (belt)
Fobus Paddle Single Mag holder

*Not great, but adequate to start off. You need a concealment garment. A large shirt or BDU is ok, you don't have to pay for a tactical photographer's vest.

Peltor HB10B Neckband Muffs

*Good

I was thinking of getting a Hogue PowerSpeed since it says with the high-ride attachment it is considered a concealment rig and therefore IDPA legal. I could'nt find anything saying that PowerSpeed holsters are approved by IDPA for competition use though.

*NO. The Hogue Powerspeed is not allowed by IDPA just because Hogue
says it is "considered a concealment rig." Holsters must be individually approved by IDPA. You can get away with close copies, I have a locally made holster in the style of a Sparks that has never been questioned, but that magnetic job is not approved and would never pass inspection.

Can anyone give me reccomendations on the following equipment:

- eye protection (that can be worn OVER small wireframed glasses)

*Some sort of industrial safety glasses would likely do, and for less money than "shooting glasses." Check at Brownells, Midway, or Walmart.

- adjustable mag holders (in double or single IDPA legal)

*Your Fobus are ok, as long as they stay put. I saw a shooter draw the pouch with the magazine last Tuesday. You may have two magazines on your belt, plus one to load in the gun to start, and a "Barney bullet" mag to chamber a single round so as to get to a 10+1 starting load with minimum fumbling. But you may not go to the "Barney bullet" magazine for a reload during the course of fire. Extras for separate strings or so you don't have to load magazines for EVERY stage are very convenient.

- timer
> $109 RU Ready RF Timer http://www.targettimers.com/ru_ready.html
> $129 Competition Electronics Pocket Pro
> $139 Pact Club Timer III (Midway)

*I have used them all, they all work, BUT... you don't need to spend $100+ for a timer until you are established and are working on a serious training program. Put the money into a Blade Tech holster and pouches and some extra magazines. Get a timer next year. When you do buy your own, get the same type the club you shoot at the most uses. Our club has three timers, all different, and it is a nuisance.

Would adding some kind of rubber to the base of my mags be illegal for IDPA ?

*No. I have pads cut from quarter inch furniture leg cushioning from Lowe's on my P220 magazines. As long as the gun fits the box with pads in place and as long as they weigh less than an ounce, they are ok.
Old August 21, 2004, 01:25 AM   #3
dawg05

for your eye protection, try wiley x. they have interchangeable lenses and you can take them to your local eye doctor and have your perscription put in the two sets of lenses. i wear them every day and the ballistic protection has saved numerous soldier's eye sight over in Iraq and they are near indestructible. If you want to go that route, as far as financially, i would consider it.
Old August 21, 2004, 06:41 AM   #4
GaryXD

I have not had good luck with ProMags in a 229. Ditto what Jim said about not buying a bunch of stuff until you have shot for a while.
Old August 22, 2004, 07:25 AM   #5
BossGVR4

Thanks for the info everyone ...

I have revised my shopping list thanks to everyone's suggestions.

For immediate purchase:

- Sigarms factory 10rd magazines
- DIY magazine pads (thanks Jim !)
- Wolff Magazine Springs
- Blackhawk Ind. CQC Double Stack mag pouch
- Cocoon Mini Slim Yellow Polarized Glasses by Live Eyewear

For near future purchase

- Blackhawk Ind. CQC Holster with Serpa Active Retention System

For WAAAYYYY in the future purchase

- PACT Club Timer (the only one with a Lifetime Warranty)

Thanks again for all the help/suggestions !

DaveC
Old September 23, 2004, 01:57 PM   #6
Ukraine Train

How many magazines should one have for an IDPA shoot? My gun came with two ten rounders and I'm going to be getting a couple 13 rounders to use while I CCW. Will four total suffice?
Old September 24, 2004, 04:38 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

stuff

Don't go buy 'stuff'; just go shootin'.

Then see if you NEED stuff.
Old September 24, 2004, 08:16 AM   #8
OF

4 mags will be fine. You really only need 3, but a 4th helps alot. You can see how everyone else does it when you get to a match, but typically the load goes like this:

Come to the line with 3 full mags (2 on your belt in pouches and one more in a pocket somewhere) and then one mag with at least one round in it (commonly called a 'Barney' after Barney Fife) also in a pocket or even just in your hand. On 'Load and make ready' take the gun out and put the Barney mag in the gun then rack the slide to chamber a round. Take the barney out and put it away in a pocket somewhere (you won't use it during the stage). Then take out the full mag in your pocket and put it in the gun. Now holster the gun.

This is a 'full load' for IDPA. A completely full gun (full mag and round chambered) and two spare mags on your belt. If you shoot a wheelgun, it's a full gun and 3 speedloaders: two in front of your holster and one behind. IDPA stages are limited to a max of 18 rounds.

When you come off the line, load all your mags first thing to keep from forgetting to do it...which can happen...not that I've ever done anything that stupid....never happened. BANG BANG <click> what the..<reload> BANG BANG BANG <click> you have got to be kidd...<reload> BANG <click> AAAARRRRGHHH!!!

- Gabe
Old September 24, 2004, 08:17 AM   #9
OF

PS: Weshoot is on the money. Go shoot alot first, then see if you need more gear. Your idea of good gear will change when you get some experience.

PPS: If you only have 3 mags, you can just bring an extra round with you and top off the mag after you chamber a round.
Old October 11, 2004, 07:47 PM   #10
Litlman

Great info. guys. As far as ammo. goes, how many rounds do you take /use for a match? Aren't regular poly carb lenses in the new eye glasses of today just as good as the ones in standard shooting glasses? Not Oakley's etc. If you buy a set of expensive glasses for shooting and take them to your Optometrist aren't they just going to make a poly carb prescript. set and retrofit them into the brand name frames? They aren't going to send your script to Oakley, are they? I have a set of Nike glasses that I use and I have always used my script glasses as my shooting glasses. They seem just as good as standard shooting glasses. Maybe I will give my Dr. a call. Thanks.

Litlman...
Old October 11, 2004, 08:16 PM   #11
Jim Watson

Round count differs by club and date. Early in the year at our small club, I run a few shoots for one box of ammo and enlarge as folks get out of hibernation. Some places get up to 100 rounds at a club match, over a hundred at state and regional matches. The Nationals was 234 rounds in 18 stages this year, but was more rounds in fewer stages last year.

Shooting glasses are thicker and normally larger than street glasses, the lenses are retained better in the frames. True, your street glasses won't shatter if hit, but shooting glasses are better protection if something goes BAD wrong.