The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 22, 2006, 06:10 PM   #1
deerslayer79

off to a bad start

first time I actually do some hunting,saturday blackpowder hunting on md's eastern shore,last little bit of light left,eight pointer comes out,nice 8,and starts feeding,perfect shot,101-115 yds bang.The smoke clears and of course deer is gone,after waiting about a hour I take up a search that reveals a 80yd bloodtrail/highway and at the end of the trail,NO DEER TO BE FOUND I am totally devastated by now only to retrace my steps the next morning to absolute nothin again.what a way to start off a season huh?
Old October 22, 2006, 06:14 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

That's why they call it "hunting", guy.
You do the very best you can and do not always come up with aces. The important thing is being honest about it.

You'll find him.
Rich
Old October 23, 2006, 06:34 PM   #3
BIGR

Somtimes the best you do you will loose one. I always try to go to the extreme to give it the last bit of effort to find one and then If I loose the trail then so be it, I tried. Years ago my brother in law shot a nice 12 point with a muzzleloader and it ran to a creek. He heard it hit the water. For some reason I was lazy that morning and didn't go hunting. He came and got me at the camper and begged for my assistance. He said I know its a monster you've got to help me find it. We went to the creek bottom and found the blood trail going to the edge of the creek, but the bank just didn't look it had been disturbed. My brother in law wanted to cross the creek (on another hunting clubs land) and look for the deer. We couldn't locate any members of the other club so he went across the creek hoping that they would understand. Once across the creek he disappeared into a huge thicket. He looked everywhere on his side of the creek and no sign of the buck. We looked along the banks on both sides nothing. After looking real hard I noticed a few drops of blood leading down the creek and then found where the buck had went down the bank. About that time my brother in law said there it is. Out in the middle of the creek was one horn sticking out of the water about 5 inches. The buck had crashed into the creek and washed down against a tree that was across the creek. We had a heck of a time getting the big boy up a 10 foot bank away from the creek. It was a big twelve point that had a beautiful rack. My brother in law told me that if I hadn't have found that last part of the blood trail that he would have gave up on finding the buck. He thanked me for helping him that day and said he would help me anytime track a deer. That day taught me a good lesson.....never say never and don't ever give up. Since that day I have become a better tracker of wounded game.
Old October 24, 2006, 11:48 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

I feel for ya. Keep trying. Maybe try to get a better load for a quicker kill, perhaps.