The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 26, 2002, 10:41 AM   #1
KP95DAO

Solution for Speer small flash hole 357 Sig cases.

I had come into several hundred of those cases and couldn't bear to throw them away. So, I had to come up with a way to decap them without pulling the decapping pin out of the stem.

I have several of the RCBS "case pilot stop"s for their Flash hole deburring tool (which is the same as the one on their Prep Center). I also have a #2 combined drill & countersink bit. This item is 3/16" in dia and 1&7/8" long. You can get one of these at any tool place.

Place the bit into the pilot stop and, using a fired non-Speer case with it's spent primer still in place, set the bit so that with the pilot stop bottomed on the case mouth the drill bit is setting on the primer anvil. Lock it in place and then you are set to drill out the flash hole to .078".

Place the part of the bit sticking out of the top of the stop into a drill and process your cases. I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU WEAR A GLOVE ON THE HAND YOU WILL BE HANDLING THE CASES WITH AS THIS WILL PREVENT GETTING A BLISTER AND THE LOSS OF SOME HIDE FOR A FEW DAYS. YES, I FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY.

BE SURE YOU DO THIS WITH ONLY FIRED CASES AS CASES WITH LIVE PRIMERS MIGHT BE SET OFF. No, I did not find that out the hard way.

For those of you with the Prep center just set the stop at the top to achieve the same result without having to buy the drill bit.

Hopefully this will be of some benefit to those with these cases.
Old September 26, 2002, 12:09 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

KP95DAO...
Interesting work around.

Thank you.

Sam
Old September 26, 2002, 02:17 PM   #3
Bogie

If you want to keep the small flash hole, just call Sinclair and order a decapping pin and base for a Wilson hand die, and tell 'em that you've got a small flash hole. You may also be able to locate a replacement decapper for your die - My 6PPC and .22PPC brass all have the small flash holes.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!