The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 15, 2002, 11:37 AM   #1
p3ordie

Advice 0n IPSC .40 load?

Hello,
Looking for a place to start on a reload for .40 S&W. With so many powders and bullets out there its a little difficult to find a place to start. I will be using a Springfield custom loaded .40S&W (limited 10). I'm looking for something with good accuracy, low recoil and make the major P.F. Any help would be greatly appreceiated, Thanks.

p3ordie
Old September 15, 2002, 11:53 AM   #2
Jeeper

NOT to point you somewher eelse but I think the best forum for IPSC is at www.brianenos.com There is a ton of load data there you can try

As for what I would suggest is using 180gr with N320. MAke sure that you can make major and you will be set.
Old September 15, 2002, 12:06 PM   #3
dfm

Best I've found is 180 grn. bullet over a charge of 5.0 grns. WST. For a minor load drop charge weight to 3.8 grns. About as good as it gets for economy, accuracy, cleanliness, and recoil while still maintaining major PF.

dfm
Old September 15, 2002, 12:34 PM   #4
p3ordie

Thanks for the link and tips, that will get me started.

p3ordie
Old September 15, 2002, 12:49 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

OR

CCI500, OAL minimum 1.130" (this will be based on your specific gun), Rainier 180g TCJ-FP, 6.0g Alliant Power Pistol.

Tested, proven.
Old September 16, 2002, 04:15 PM   #6
Hemphill

p3ordie, the standard load in this part of the US is either zero or montana gold 180gr JHP, loaded long at about 1.180-1.200" OAL with about 5.0gr of VVN320 and a small rifle primer. It is the most consistant load I have found. As an example, everywhere I shot this summer my loads chronoed out between 168 and 170PF.
Old September 20, 2002, 08:50 PM   #7
grunewaj

One place nobody mentioned yet is here:

http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/ipscload.htm

click on the 40 S&W Loads list link. You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader. He has hundreds of loads there.

Enjoy,

Jim
The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten, that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods.

-- H. L. Mencken