The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 28, 2002, 12:11 PM   #1
Tropical Z

Oiling your blackpowder rifle..?

I have a CVA inline and while reading the book for the first time,noticed that it says that after cleaning the gun "oil the barrel inside and out and reassemble the gun"
"all oils should be natural; NO PETROLEUM PRODUCTS"
Why,and what oil should i use?
Also,why does the book say that the use of ball and patch loads in a CVA inline are not recommended? Couldn't you use them just for goofing off?
Old September 28, 2002, 04:52 PM   #2
TBAUS

There are different schools of thought on this topic. When you use all natural lubes for cleaning and shooting, you season your bore with these lubes and never strip them completely. Since soap and water is your cleaning solvent, the natural lubes made for black powder will remain in the pores of the gun, protecting it and giving you some consistancy for shooting. If you use something other than soap and water for your cleaning solvent then you may be stripping the natural lubricants out. As far as CVA not recommending a patched ball, I don't know their line of thinking. If I were to guess, I would guess the rifling in the gun is fast for conical projectiles, like a modern rifle. If this is true, then perhaps CVA believes accuracy will suffer with patched round balls. A typical rifling for round ball is something like 1 turn in 66". A compromise round ball/ conical projectile twist may be something like 1 turn in 48". If your gun is something like one turn in 29" it may not stabilize a round ball well. I am sure others will give us the correct scoop.
Old September 28, 2002, 09:07 PM   #3
BenW

TBAUS most likely got it right on the round ball issue. Unless CVA has some kind of legal CYA policy for something else, the only reason you wouldn't shoot round ball is that the rate of twist won't give you any decent accuracy.

As to lubes -- Crisco.
Old September 29, 2002, 06:12 PM   #4
Tropical Z

Are you serious about Crisco?
Would i use it in the barrel and be able to use gun oil on the outside for rust protection?
And by the way my turn rate is 1 in 28 or 29.
Old September 29, 2002, 07:01 PM   #5
BenW

Serious as a heart attack. It's what a lot of guys use in their traditional BP guns, both in the barrel and on outside surfaces (as do I). Some do like Wonder Lube, Bore Butter, and others of the over-the-counter stuff, but Crisco works just as well for a lot cheaper. Crisco to lube the gun, Crisco to lube the patches -- it's all good.
Your barrel twist is almost for sure why they say not to use round ball.
Old September 29, 2002, 07:56 PM   #6
Poodleshooter

I use Crisco as well. Use it as a patch lube, conical lube and for seasoning the bore.
Old September 30, 2002, 08:40 AM   #7
Cap n ball

Yep, I use crisco as well. A little smeared on the end of the cylinder prevents chain fire. Just don't believe anyone who says they use oatmeal for wadding so they can have muffins after shooting.
Old September 30, 2002, 11:13 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Moose Milk (water soluable oil mixed with distilled water in a ratio 1:4).
Old October 1, 2002, 11:31 AM   #9
Tropical Z

Gary,can you give me an example of a water soluble oil?
Thanx everyone!
Old October 1, 2002, 05:32 PM   #10
BenW

Quote:
anyone who says they use oatmeal for wadding so they can have muffins after shooting
Hey, I use oatmeal and I never thought of that!
I have thought about using some of that oatmeal with strawberry oatmeal mix to give my barrel that fruity fresh smell after shooting though...
Old October 4, 2002, 08:15 PM   #11
TEXAS LAWMAN

Water-sol oil at machine shops

Machine shops use water-soluble oils. I believe you can find some at industrial supply houses--possibly NAPA, Auto-Zone, other auto parts shops.

I got mine ~25 years ago from a friend in the Fort Phantom Hill ThunderSticks Muzzleloading Gun Club. I believe he worked in a metal fabrication shop. Still have some as well as the mixture. Believe we mixed it about 1 part oil to 4 parts water. Added a little DAWN or JOY for extra cleaning action (used it to wipe the bore after each shot as well as a patch lube).
Old October 5, 2002, 10:34 PM   #12
Iggy

Try Bore Butter.

This is good stuff.. You can season the barrel.. Use it for patch lube,. Clean the gun and then use if for rust prevention..

You can shoot longer without gummin' up the works too...

Good stuff...