The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 8, 2009, 04:25 PM   #1
essohbe

AK Recoil Buffer

Hey all,

I'm looking for a recoil buffer to go in my Romanian AK... (yea, I know buy a different rifle, shutup).

I've seen some but is there anyone here that has had a good experience with a particular one they can suggest?

Thanks!
Old September 8, 2009, 04:39 PM   #2
AutoPistola

I run a green blackjack buffer on my 10/63; it holds up just fine and takes the edge off of percieved recoil a bit. My bolt carrier shows that it was making contact with the reciever, but really I should've just installed a heavier recoil spring.

The wierd thing is that my 10/63 seems to have more force from the hammer spring than the mainspring; it's not a slick action like my saiga 7.62x39, so it's very difficult to rack the bolt from underneath with my left hand.
Old September 8, 2009, 09:56 PM   #3
essohbe

Cool man, thanks for the info.

Mine's a 10/63 also.
Old September 9, 2009, 07:13 PM   #4
wnycollector

+1 on the blackjack buffer reccomendation. I have them in both my ak's and sks'.
Old September 9, 2009, 07:23 PM   #5
AK103K

What makes you feel you need one?

I've had a couple of different buffers in a couple of AKs, and they were the only AK's I've ever had any troubles with. Those troubles were usually due to feeding, or I should say, the lack of it. The trouble stopped as soon as the buffers were removed.

If you look at the rear of the receiver on the inside, do you see any indication of the bolt carrier is actually impacting the receiver? I have yet to see any indication that it has on any of my AK's.

An indication to me that they are not necessary is the fact that the "real" guns dont come from the arsenal that way, and I dont remember ever seeing one spec'd in any parts list.

Hmmm, kind of makes you wonder, dont it?
Old September 9, 2009, 07:31 PM   #6
brian45auto

if it needed one, there would be one in it.
if it needs one, you need to buy a new recoil spring instead of the "buffer".
Old September 10, 2009, 10:20 AM   #7
DMK

Quote:
I've had a couple of different buffers in a couple of AKs, and they were the only AK's I've ever had any troubles with. Those troubles were usually due to feeding, or I should say, the lack of it. The trouble stopped as soon as the buffers were removed.
I had the same experience. I don't think they are necessary or even desirable.
Old September 10, 2009, 03:02 PM   #8
AutoPistola

Most people will tell you a buffer is useless or a hindrance. A stronger recoil spring is the best answer. However, I've never heard of any problems with the blackjack buffer specifically...I don't think it's thick enough to cause any feeding problems. Furthermore I don't understand why a buffer would cause feeding problems even if it short strokes the action slightly...could someone explain this to me?
Old September 10, 2009, 05:17 PM   #9
Willie D

Here's a slow motion vid of an AK firing without a dustcover and it doesn't look like the bolt makes it to the rear of the receiver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sNDTdKQNVU
Old September 10, 2009, 05:19 PM   #10
essohbe

AK103K,

You asked:
Quote:
"What makes you feel you need one? ... If you look at the rear of the receiver on the inside, do you see any indication of the bolt carrier is actually impacting the receiver?"
Unfortunately, yeah. There's an unmistakable mark on the rear that matches up perfectly with the very end of the BCG. Nothing else would have made that.

The blackjack buffers are real thin but durable (supposedly) but since people who have experience with them talk them up I have ordered one. We'll see I guess. Hopefully it improves the situation.

My spring is probably old too though. Probably wouldn't hurt to get another but the buffer's only $5 so I'm getting it for the time being.
Old September 10, 2009, 05:44 PM   #11
AK103K

Quote:
Furthermore I don't understand why a buffer would cause feeding problems even if it short strokes the action slightly...could someone explain this to me?
That seemed to be the main problem with my guns that had them installed, or at least it seemed so to me. The rearward movement of the bolt carrier was noticeably reduced with the buffer installed, even when just cycling the action by hand.

Quote:
Unfortunately, yeah. There's an unmistakable mark on the rear that matches up perfectly with the very end of the BCG. Nothing else would have made that.
I'd have to think something was wrong then, and needed addressing. The buffer would just be a quick fix, and I think it probably wouldnt last to long either, which adds another issue, the buffer failing, and the pieces tying up the gun.

Just out of curiosity, wheat make AK is it essohbe?
Old September 10, 2009, 09:49 PM   #12
essohbe

Quote:
"...Just out of curiosity, what make AK is it essohbe?"
It's a GP Wasr10-63 which is probably the problem.
I looked it over before I bought it and it seemed decent at first glance. The front sightblock wasn't canted or anything. Spotless bore. Nothing loose, then I fired it a bunch and after hundreds of plinking rounds + bump-firing it, it's been better than I expected it to be except for the reciever getting nicked with the bolt on it's rearward stroke.

I usually only use Wolf and BrownBear, I've used that GoldenTiger ammo also.
All in between 122 and 124gr. No overloaded handloads. it kinda crossed my mind that maybe I got some weird ammo that was a little hot but I doubt that's it.

Most likely it's the spring because it even looks old and the parts didnt seem to be American parts in the gun when I got it - but what do I know (Usually Century stamps a "C" on their parts or puts Tapco stuff it in but I don't know *** I had in mine. It was neither. Probably still Romanian military parts until I put domestic ones in for compliance).

I would get a better one but I don't want to pay Arsenal or anyone else $900 for an AK. That's eff'n ridiculous... I'm in the wrong buisness! (So...Do I need a Class 2 FFL to get flats and a bending jig? Lol).
Old September 11, 2009, 05:05 AM   #13
AK103K

The WASR's arent usually bad, just not as pretty as a some of the others. Mine was better than my Global Trades/Arsenal SSR-85C in function and accuracy. I'll still take a factory barreled/assembled gun over a US kit build in that respect.

Most of the US compliance parts in the guns are usually the culprits when problems arise and are not as well made as the originals that were removed.
Old September 11, 2009, 02:45 PM   #14
AutoPistola

AK-103, what you just said makes me doubt buying an SSR-85C. I was under the impression that they are a high grade, well made AK. But I'll take the WASR any day if it's more accurate and functional; I can make it look prettier later. Maybe a Lancaster is better?

When I first got interested in AK's I went to a gun show and passed on a milled, thumbhole stocked SLR-95 because it was a single-stack with a canted front sight. Now that I know those can be remedied I regret not buying it. Still, even with Arsenal's reputation for excellence, how come the front sight was canted? Makes you wonder why they can't get that right consistently.

P.S. I highly doubt that Blackjack buffer will fall apart. I bought the green (softer) buffer for my SKS and did not install it right (no instructions or experience). It fell loose in the action but still did not cause a malfunction and had only a slight nick from the bolt.
Old September 11, 2009, 03:04 PM   #15
AK103K

My SSR-85C didnt have canted sights. It was the "prettiest" AK I've owned, and of all of them, the least accurate. It also had its disconnector fail early on, which when removed, looked exactly like one of the Century disconnectors I replaced when I couldnt get rid of the slap in my SAR. Now my SAR does have some slightly canted sights, but it shoots great, and would easily out shoot the 85C.

My 85C was an early gun, assembled from a Polish parts kit on a heavier than normal US receiver. They did a real nice job on the parkerized finish, and the blond wood was very nice, although the stock wasnt the correct length, nor did it have a trapdoor in the butt.

Personally, I'd rather have a butt ugly gun thats correct and shoots well over a pretty one that doesnt. I still have a SAR and WASR.
Old September 12, 2009, 12:09 AM   #16
essohbe

Well, here it is if anyone cares:

I think she's pretty

I can't beleive what was said about the SSR-85C. Seriously? You hear so much crap about the WASR and everything else gets glorified against those.

Tags
ak recoil buffer , ak-47 , buffer