The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 23, 2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Bob Wright

Lookin' for..........

Been looking for a Single Action in .44 Special, not a Colt. Having been experienced with Ruger and Uberti, I'm faced with the possibility of a Cimmaron. I really don't care for the new Rugers, though I have many, and sort of like the color case hardened frames of the replicas. My ideal would be a .44 Special flat-top, similar to the Uberti I just bought, but its .357 and .45 only. Barrels and cylinders are available in .44 Spl. though. Wouldn't be a big trick to make my .45 into a .44, but I'd like a newer revolver. This is not for field and woods use, just a range gun.

Comments and suggestions are welcome, and solicited.

Bob Wright
Old August 23, 2012, 02:28 PM   #2
BigJimP

If your budget can handle it ....Freedom Arms makes some real nice guns.

I had one made recently in .357 mag 4 3/4", octagon barrel, large frame mod 83, 5 shot, adj rear sight, cocobolo grips, action job on it and trigger set to 3.25 lbs ...and the price was a little over $ 3K....but its a heck of a gun / I like it a lot..../ trigger is great / fit, finish and craftmanship is first class...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...0&d=1339790943

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...1&d=1340222605
here it is alongside my model 27-2 in 4" ...and a Henry rifle in .357 mag...

http://www.freedomarms.com/

they make guns in .44 spl as well as .44 mag.../ and several other calibers of course / my gun in .357 mag and 4 3/4" came it at 54 oz ...so its really a pleasure to shoot even with full power loads.

Last edited by BigJimP; August 23, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old August 23, 2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Bob Wright

I am quite aware of Freedom Arms and their sterling reputation for ruggedness and accuracy. BUT, not what I'm looking for. Don't want octagon barrel, nor stainless steel. If I could afford one of those, I'd go with the Colt New Frontier. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not knocking Freedom Arms, just not what I'm looking for. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Ruger man, and have my share of Super Blackhawks in .44 Magnum, as well as my "Super" Blackhawks in .45 Colt.

I'm wanting the comfy reclining chair version of a revolver. You know, a well broken-in pair of moccasins type of .44 Special. Something warm and comfortable that I can throw 245grs. of lead at about 1000 fps. tops, with just enough oomph! to completely penetrate one layer of target paper, but looks good doing it. So it has to be blue, with case hardened colors, small framed little gun, but not too little.

Bob Wright
Old August 23, 2012, 04:48 PM   #4
gak

If you're looking for case hardened .44 Sp out of the box, Cimarron (or same Taylor's) is your only option right now. Otherwise you're looking to a New Vaquero then Turnbull'd (or other) after-the-fact.
There's also USFA if you can find one. Try Trail Creek.

Last edited by gak; August 23, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old August 23, 2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Bob Wright

Well, right now I'm considering several options. I would go for the New Frontier from Colt before going to the expense of a USFA, if and when they get going again. I have a Ruger three-screw .357 Magnum now that would make into a good .44 Special, also a Colt SAA in .357 Magnum that could become a .44 Special.

Still wondering.

This old Colt would make a dandy .44 Spl.:

As would this rather ragged Ruger:

So, for now, just musing..........

Bob Wright
Old August 24, 2012, 11:58 AM   #6
BigJimP

I understand....everybody should buy and shoot what they want Bob.....
Old August 24, 2012, 01:39 PM   #7
GeauxTide

I have been extremely pleased with my Ruger Bisley 44 Special. All steel, too.