The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 4, 2016, 08:54 PM   #1
Ocraknife

.22 Ammo: target vs ultra match

I've noticed a big difference in price at my LGS in Federal target ammo which sells for $4 and some change per box of 50 and Federal Ultra match which sells for $18 per box of 50. I shoot offhand with a $600 or so pistol. Would I see a difference with the better ammo? Im by no means a pro.

-Jimro
Old May 4, 2016, 09:48 PM   #2
MrBorland

Rimfire ammo's a funny thing: every gun has it's own preference for what rimfire ammo it prefers. Good match-grade ammo will be more consistent, but it's no guarantee that your gun will like Ultra Match better than the target ammo. For instance, your gun might, on average, actually like "target" better, and, on average, group better with it, but will also likely throw a bit of a flier now and then, whereas the Ultra Match, whether it prints bigger or smaller from your gun, won't throw those fliers. For those shooting competitively, those fliers are real match killers. Others might accept the fliers if they're otherwise happy with the accuracy/price ratio.

The other thing is that, practical handgun accuracy isn't going to be on par with a rifle, so one shouldn't expect the same jump in performance when using high dollar match ammo in a handgun. JMO.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:14 PM   #3
Ocraknife

Thank you. My thought was that I probably wouldn't see much difference shooting off hand with a mid grade pistol. If I were a competition shooter with a high end firearm and quality optics then the consistency of the ammo might mean tightened groups. Still I may buy a couple hundred rounds to play with. It's still cheaper than a lot of the centerfire ammo I've bought for handguns

-Jimro
Old May 4, 2016, 10:56 PM   #4
springer99

Higher priced " match ammo" does tend to shoot better in that it's more consistent and will have fewer flyers. Whether or not it's worth the price premium is an answer only you can give. In my area, CCI standard velocity .22lr is about the best ammo that most guys use. Unless you're seriously competing in bullseye competitions, I doubt the premium is worth it. If you are shooting 50yd or 100yd benchrest with rifles, then it's definitely a different story. Consistancy does come with a price and is does make a difference in those games.
Old May 7, 2016, 04:58 AM   #5
darkgael

Test

I have made it a habit to test as wide a variety of ammo in guns that I buy as I can afford. For .22s that means going to the range with a dozen or so different types and brands of .22s.
As it turned out, my .22 bullseye gun, a High Standard Victor with a Falcon barrel, shot Federal SV .22s consistently better than any other type, including the Ultramatch.
On the other hand, the two rifles that I use for small bore prone, an FWB and an Anschutz, both do noticeably better with the Ultramatch.
Things change, though, over the years I have moved from the Federal SV to The Eley Club which is more consistent. It was also more available over the last few years.
Old May 7, 2016, 06:23 AM   #6
zukiphile

Quote:
I shoot offhand with a $600 or so pistol. Would I see a difference with the better ammo? Im by no means a pro.
I shoot an old Volquartzen with good iron sights. At 30 feet offhand, I can keep all five rounds inside one inch. Almost all of that one inch is my wobble and alignment error. Federal bulk pack could barely make it worse.

For someone like me, expensive .22 in a pistol is wasted money.

Rifles are a whole different question.
Old May 7, 2016, 07:36 AM   #7
g.willikers

I used to attend rimfire rifle silhouette matches.
There were a couple of folks with high end gear, guns and ammo, but it was rare.
The guys who usually won the matches shot inexpensive ammo, but they did sort it by weight.
Throwing out the anomalies seemed to be good enough without the need for match ammo.
Just a thought.