The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 19, 2012, 10:56 AM   #1
chucky

Handgun variety vs one platform

Hey guys. I wanted someone elses take on something ive been thinking about and i figured this would be a good place to get advice. I currently own 5 handguns (not alot but enough for my purposes) All 5 are different calibers and different manufacturers. Ive been toying with the idea of going all glock. I currently only own 1 glock g21. I know not everybody likes glocks but thats just what i prefer. On the one hand i like having a variety but on the other hand i like the idea of having 5 handguns that all feel + shoot the same no matter what caliber i chose them in. Just looking for a fresh take from someones elses point of view. So what are your thoughts on variety vs one single platform.
Old September 19, 2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Bob Wright

Never thought of my guns as a "platform."

But long ago I decided I wanted to learn all there was to know about handguns. I didn't want to get my information from books or magazines, but from first-hand experience. If I wanted information about ammunition, I had a gun in that caliber to try. If I wanted to know what a Luger felt like, I tried a Luger. How a gun/cartridge combination worked in the field led me to the woods many times.

Finally ended up with something over thirty handguns, all well tested at some time or another.

Bob Wright
Old September 19, 2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Vermonter

I am somewhere in the middle ground

I too have several handguns. I have two copies of glock G23 and G27. That is a great combo ccw and home defense common caliber and common mags etc etc. I am happy with them and I find that I could go all glock for sure except................

Because of varrying tempature and travel I find that those two alone do not cover all my bases. I also own a ruger LCP and some revolvers to round out the mixture.

This way no matter what my derss I can be armed even if LCP is all I can pull off something is better than nothing.

All of my guns have one thing in common. NO EXTERNAL SAFETIES I can pick up point and shoot all of them without manipulating anything but the trigger. I am not saying that the 1911 or other SA varations are a bad thing just simply that for me every gun I own can be fired DA without the use of a safety.

Common elements such as that are where my simalarities stop. While I own other variations including 1911 everything I carry can go bang with only the pull of the trigger.

I do see some value however in being familiar with every platform. Were you to end up in a situation where you were handed something by a friend or picked up something off an assaliant you should at the very least be able to make it safe and perhaps fight with it should the need arise.

It gets tossed around here alot but remember you will fight like you train.

Regards, Vermonter

PS Welcome to the party!
Old September 19, 2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Bob Wright

Well, I never thought of the handgun as merely a weapon. I shot mostly for fun and the sheer enjoyment of shooting, and shooting well. And, we frequently enjoyed the table fare that my guns put on the table. Self defense was a secondary study to handgunning.

Bob Wright
Old September 19, 2012, 12:04 PM   #5
SW40F

I like variety.

All of my guns are different, including the (2) Ruger .22s - the Standard bolt does not stay back after the last shot, the Mark II does.

It give me a chance to play with different toys.

Choose what makes you smile!
Old September 19, 2012, 01:10 PM   #6
mrt949

Speaking of self defense .Was at a local action pistol match .The range master put several types of hand guns on the table . The most trouble was with a single action revolver go figure . Most didn't know how to shoot it.
Old September 19, 2012, 01:16 PM   #7
MLeake

While there is an advantage to a common manual of arms, there is also an advantage in being able to use whatever comes to hand in a moment of need. I have owned SA, DA, and DAO revolvers and SA, DA/SA, and DAO autos and have not had any trouble transitioning.
Old September 19, 2012, 01:32 PM   #8
bossman

No way, for me anyhow, but I understand your ideal for a single type of platform. To many different guns out there to enjoy. I'd really get tired of chasing all that brass. Most of my shooting is for enjoyment and shooting just one type or brand of gun would be unthinkable.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old September 19, 2012, 01:33 PM   #9
sgms

You might think about keeping the variety (lets face it it's fun) and just use a single type ( for you it looks like Glock) as home and personal protection, nothing says you can't have more than 1 glock or only in one caliber.
Old September 19, 2012, 01:37 PM   #10
walts

I don't think it's that big of a deal. Just be fully aware of which firearm your carrying and be prepared to bring it into action in the proper manner.
Old September 19, 2012, 01:40 PM   #11
zincwarrior

Although I have swarm of .44s, .45s, 9mms, .380s and .22s the Wife and I made the conscious decision to go with .22LR for plinking fun and 9mm for serious shooting/SD. Further, I recently switched my CC from a .45 to a 9mm M&Pc, which is the smaller version of the M&P I play with in IDPA. The wife acquires 9mm Storm compact for CC, which is a defacto smaller version of FS92 she already had.
Old September 19, 2012, 01:54 PM   #12
SRH78

I can certainly see the benefit in what you are contemplating but I personally wouldn't do it. There can be benefit in variety and just the fun of it. Currently, I also have only 5 handguns but I intend to correct that before long. Now, 1 thing I do keep the same is that I don't have a manual safety on anything I carry but that still leaves a lot of options.
Old September 19, 2012, 05:30 PM   #13
Kreyzhorse

In my opinion, there are too many gun makes and models to limit yourself to a single maker. Additionally, while Glock makes fine guns, you'd miss the joy of shooting a 1911 or using a Ruger LCP as a go any where CCW piece.
Old September 19, 2012, 06:40 PM   #14
stu925

If you like the guns you own and shoot them well then stick with them. If you can't shoot those guns well and you like the Glock and shoot it well then go that route. I like variety so for me there would be no advantage to having all my guns be the same design, there are things I like about just about every design out there. When it comes to a carry gun though I have only 2 guns in the collection for that purpose a Kimber Pro CDP II and an S&W model 36 and I stick to those 2 guns exclusively due to my familiarity with them. The rest of my hanguns are either hunting guns or just for paper punching.
Old September 19, 2012, 06:55 PM   #15
buck460XVR

How many times have we all heard this phrase.....

Quote:
“Beware the man with one gun, he knows how to use it.”
.....and for good reason. I too like to shoot a variety of guns at the range, but the ones I'm most accurate with are the ones I shoot the most. I tend to stick to Smith revolvers because they just feel the best in my hands. Maybe it's just the familiarity. All my L,N and X frames wear the same grips and feel similar in my hands, and I like it that way. While the 1911s feel good in my hands, and I've had them for years and shot thousands of rounds thru them, they just don't feel like an old friend, like the smiths. Being a tradesman most of my life, I have tons of tools. Guns to me are just another tool, While I have 4 or 5 quality hammers in my arsenal, I have used the same Estwing for 8-10 hours a day for the last 35 years. I actually have two others just like it, but even in the dark with my eyes closed, I can tell them apart just by pickin' them up. For the last 20 years I have been mostly doing trim work and building custom mantels and casework. And I still use the 22 oz straight claw, cause it don't miss.
Old September 19, 2012, 07:59 PM   #16
Viper225

Variaty is the Spice of Life

I am pretty much a revolver fan. I conceal carry several different ones. I carry J. K, L, and N Frame Smith & Wessons, plus an LCR. Even though carrying several different revolvers, I carry everyone of them at 4 O'Clock. I carry either one or two reloads infront of the holster on the belt with my revolvers.

I think the most important thing is carrying everything in the same place all the time.

I carry Moon Clip Reloads for my 442 Pro Moonclip, 310 Night Guard, 3" 625, and 610. I carry Safariland Comp II Speedloaders for my 315 Night Guard, 3" 66-2, 64, and my 686.

I also carry my 1911 Colt some. I carry 2 spare magazines for it on the weak side hip. The same place I have carried my 1911 magazines for the last 40 years.

I have no problem transitioning between 1911 Clips, Moon Clips, and Speedloaders. I also shoot all of them in Defensive Pistol matches.

I might be a little quicker if I only had a single handgun to work with. However I like different things about every handgun I own. If I didn't I would trade them in on something I liked better.
Infact I have a trade pending. I am trading my old 2-1/2" 66 ND which was superceded in my concealed carry rotation by my 3" 66-2, for a clean as a pin 2" 15-4. A buddy is wanting my Round Butt 66 to mount his Crimson Trace Laser grip on. I need to rescue the 99% 15-4 Square Butt from his desk drawer at work before he hurts it. Besides I have never had a 15 Snub before.

Bob
Old September 19, 2012, 08:44 PM   #17
Nathan

I wouldn't be happy at all going all Glock, but I have limited myself by caliber. I only load:
38 spcl
357 mag
40 S&W
45 ACP
45 Colt
I cannot limit by platform or brand as I just don't like some and most are inefficient at one caliber or another. I could probably limit to DAO auto's and revolvers, but I just feel like I'm really dressed up with a 1911 on compared to having my S&W 640 or Kahr P40 with me. Those are working guns. 1911's feel like BBQ guns that work to me!

Doesn't sound like I'm eliminating much, but if I didn't do this, I would have added:
44 spcl
44 mag
9mm
50AE
10mm
357 sig
38-40

You see, I'm a sucker for that little nitch which each caliber can fill. Every caliber is a minimum or $70 in reloading equip and possibly another powder and bullet type. . .urrgh.

I'm trying to reduce powders. I swore off Titegroup, but just bought some more. I mean, can't:
AA#5
Longshot
H110
load all handguns. . .well, no! Titegroup makes a nice cast bullet powder in 38, 357, 45 Colt, 45 ACP Arrgh! I give up. Maybe I can put H110 away for Longshot in 45 Colt. Those H110 loads are too much to really call fun, but who can argue with 1.8" 25 yd groups!

I thought I was set for rifle, but of coursse now I'm trying CFE223 and CCI #41's with my 5.56 loads! Why weren't CCI400's and Benchmark good enough!

I refuse to touch my R19 and 190 Berger 300WSM load. 1/2" at 100 is good enough for a factory Savage!
Old September 19, 2012, 08:53 PM   #18
TailGator

I am another who enjoys shooting a variety of different pistols. I always make a point of maintaining a strong familiarity with my carry pistol, but I have never had any trouble changing from one to another at the range.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:54 PM   #19
Justice06RR

Variety is good. Don't limit yourself to one brand/platform.

Glocks are great, but I would not suggest limiting yourself. Maybe have 2 Glocks (G21 and maybe G30) to train with, and keep your other guns. Just my 2c
Old September 19, 2012, 08:55 PM   #20
CDR_Glock

I was in your situation, a little while ago. I wanted the same brand and same caliber. For a year and a half I only had two guns that I'd carry. Some people prefer a mastery of one type. The problems arise when you shoot different guns and do not practice enough to get good with any one of them. The double action trigger of a revolver is a different feel from a double action of a DA/SA pistol (I.e. Sig Sauer or H&K) from a Striker fire pistol. Configurations of sights vary and acquisition is quite different. Lastly, you have to deal with safeties or lack thereof. One gun I don't carry is a Beretta because the action to disengage the safety is opposite of my 1911s and H&K.

I own a lot of different pistol types. I shoot some exceedingly well, some above the average, and only a couple at a level above minimum competency.

The key that has helped me is taking a gun and dry firing it frequently, learning the nuances of the trigger and how to speed load it. Hence, I can take any gun off the shelf and shoot it well (except calibers that I have an aversion to shooting like 44 Magnum, 500 S&W, etc).

As long as you invest the time to learning the various guns, you should have no issue.

However, carrying a gun adds to additional levels of training, shooting from various positions, drawing from concealment, etc. in this case, the fewer variables, the fewer issues you will have when it is needed to draw. I use the same holster brand/type (Kydex/leather) for each, same position, except for my P238, a backup.

My carry guns:

SIG P238/P938
Glock 27
Ed Brown Special Forces

I have carried revolvers such as a S&W 627 Pro Series or Colt Python but the frame size is impractical except for open carry. However, I'd resort to these more for home defense.

Last edited by CDR_Glock; September 19, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old September 19, 2012, 09:01 PM   #21
jimbob86

Swappin' guns and holsters can jack with your muscle memory .... you end up like Tex whatever his name was and shoot yourself in your bee-hind.

I have several guns and Carry one. I don't shoot the others much.
Old September 19, 2012, 10:03 PM   #22
shortwave

I shoot many different handguns but always end a range session with my ccw.
Old September 20, 2012, 03:58 PM   #23
rodfac

An oft heard rejoinder when I was a mere lad was, "Beware the man with only one gun, he generally knows how to use it...". I've never taken that advice, tho I can say with some experience, that when I spend a cpl months here on my home range with a single type...1911, Single Action, S&W double action, etc...I can see a definite improvement in my scores and group sizes. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 20, 2012, 04:28 PM   #24
Strafer Gott

I think it was learning to shoot DA revolver that led me to accept the DA pistol with all the advantages. If the double action felt lighter than a stock 1917, well that was at least good enough to get it cocked in a hurry, and thus the pistol became predominant in my collection. But I still keep some KA wheelguns like colt detectives, security six, S&W model 28, and a mighty fine 58 and 64-4, model19, to keep it honest.
Old September 20, 2012, 04:51 PM   #25
MLeake

The man with only one gun may also not be all that much into shooting; may have inherited it but never used it; may not be able to afford more than one (which suggests, but does not necessarily mean, lack of funds for practice ammo or training).

I have always found that saying kind of, um, quaint.

Seems to me most of the shooters I have read about, from Bill Hickock to Jim Cirillo to Chuck Mawhinney, used more than one gun.