The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 7, 2012, 06:19 PM   #1
davery25

Rifle to learn smithing on

Hi guys,

In an effort to gain a comprehensive knowledge of what affects accuracy I'm looking to do a custom build on a rifle. Any rifle really.

I'm looking to cram everything into this one rifle so glass bedding, stock refinishing and fitting, trigger work, barrel work etc.

Have you guys got any suggestions for what would be a good rifle to start on? I'm looking for an old wooden stocked rifle. I don't intend to do a tacticool rifle as I want the wood finishing and bedding skills as well.

Should i buy something like a parker hale or should i buy a mosin nagant and bubbadize it (i wouldn't do this with any other milsurps ever, don't worry).

Also as I want to install the barrel myself is there anything i need to know or special tools. I read somewhere that criterion barrels can be fitted at home so im not sure about others. Do i need any special tools for barrel fitting?

Assuming i have no access to a machine shop and only have home tools (dremel, drills, sanding block etc) is this plausible at all?

Feedback highly appreciated.

Thanks
Old November 7, 2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You could learn the stock work, bedding, etc. on just about any rifle. Unless you have a lathe and some reasonable amount of skill, the barrel work will have to be done by someone else though, unless you pick a rifle with a barrel that can be "pre-fit", such as a Savage. Even then, you'd be doing the very simple install but the actual work will be pre-done.
Old November 7, 2012, 06:33 PM   #3
davery25

I should clarify - I'm looking to understand things about each of the components but I'm willing (and will need to regardless) to go to a smith to get certain things done such action truing if it ever comes to that.

Can you not screw in a barrel on any action? Why is it that you can do it on a savage but not on other actions without special tools?
Old November 7, 2012, 06:36 PM   #4
Metal god

I have two suggestions . 1) what ever gun you get take it apart and put it back together (as is) a few times. To really understand the internal workings of the firearm . 2) Do one improvement at a time and go shoot it a bunch . That way you will see the difference each improvement makes and if it was worth the time and money .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 7, 2012, 06:40 PM   #5
davery25

If memory serves me correctly Brian you're doing something very similar right now with a Savage aren't you? I learned a little bit off your post actually
Old November 7, 2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Can you not screw in a barrel on any action? Why is it that you can do it on a savage but not on other actions without special tools?
No, you can't. It can be complex and I don't know much about the various methods, but as a for instance, some actions control headspace by the actual dimensions of the barrel. In other words, you need a lathe to cut the barrel down to get correct headspace. On a Savage, you just screw the barrel in until it stops on a Go Gauge. It's not nearly that easy on most others.

Quote:
If memory serves me correctly Brian you're doing something very similar right now with a Savage aren't you? I learned a little bit off your post actually
Yes, I am.
Old November 7, 2012, 07:29 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Get either a Mauser 98 or a Springfield 1903 action.

You can go to a NRA Summer Gunsmithing School and barrel the action there.

We're doing that right now at where I'm at. We bought barrel blanks and after having faced the bolt and receiver and taken measurements from the receiver face to the C ring and the bolt face, have cut the barrel shank on a barrel and have threaded it to the receiver. Most of us are reaming out the chambers now for test firing. Afterwards we contour the barrels.