The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 20, 2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Homerboy

Mossberg 930 SPX legal in California?

I'm selling my 930 SPX and an intersted buyer lives in CA. Is this gun legal there?
Old September 20, 2009, 09:42 PM   #2
Slopemeno

Doesn't Big-5 sell them in CA?
Old September 21, 2009, 12:12 AM   #3
the rifleer

yes, its legal. CA isn't really that strict. You just can't have an assault rifle or certain pistols.
Old September 21, 2009, 04:06 AM   #4
LanceOregon

If a shotgun has both a pistol type grip and a folding stock, it is banned in California.

If takes a detachable magazine, it is also banned.

If it has a revolving cylinder like the "Street Sweeper", it is also banned.

If the shotgun's magazine can hold over 10 shells, then it is banned in California.

As long as the barrel length is at least 18" and it has none of the above, then it is legal in California.

--
Old September 21, 2009, 01:36 PM   #5
zippy13

As a CA resident, I purchased a Colt's HBAR Match Rifle (AR-15 family) some years ago. Colt had made the necessary modifications so it wouldn't qualify as an assault rifle under the Fed and CA definitions. Guess what?… The CA Attorney General changed the definition. So, now my plinker is a severely restricted registered assault rifle. Don't be lulled into a sense of false security: The same thing could happen again. Back in the day, Attorney General Brown wasn't called "Governor Moonbeam" for nothing.
Old September 21, 2009, 03:06 PM   #6
.351winchester

Quote:
CA isn't really that strict
Compared to Britain? Former Soviet Union? What is considered strict may be one's opinion, but CA easily has the most restrictive and prohibitive gun laws among all states. May as well not even be in the US, for a lot of firearms businesses regarding shipping ANY firearm there. The original draft of the 89 ban included the Winchester 94. I've heard from someone in CA (Azusa) some chain sporting goods stores don't regularly stock anything semi auto with a detachable mag (eg, Rem. 7400 or 10/22), it's been such a hassle for them over the years.

Michigan has some bizzare laws but I wouldn't live in CA for all the sunshine and tanned blondes in the world, even with an existant job market. Weapons suitable for defense of life and liberty are too important personally to not own, be registered, or be buried contraband in PVC tubes (if it's time to bury, it's time to dig them up)

I like how you can turn gun laws against themselves (922r builds, etc.). What are these Mfg.s and buyers thinking though with these Cali models? Exciting loopholes like pistol grips sawed off at thumb level? A single shot AR or FAL (and STILL lacking 'evil' features) is a sad, pathetic, shameful and goofy embarassment of a firearm. Were these designed and marketed as a joke? Get an airsoft, people. Owning something like that is a sick message of glory in defeat, gourmet gruel. One of these things makes a ATI accessory laden 'trailer park sweeper' look awesome and dignified.

Sportsmen or hobby shooters I've spoken with see no reason anyone would own an AK but to go postal (one actually made the statement, "I'm not against handguns."), and would not object to their outright confiscation(federal armed robbery). Such ignorance! It happens in layers. Has througout history. And your .30-06 scoped deer rifle happens to be the one they're really worried about. That's the threat. And you can't resort to bowhunting when hunting is banned outright with zero recourse or due process for a public even unanimously opposed to it. What could they possibly do? Highlight a now outlawed public assembly with a guy standing defiantly in the path of a tank, who is then crushed? That'll show em.

I just hate to see people thinking they got it good cause their type of guns aren't the subject of special regulations.

Last edited by .351winchester; September 21, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old September 21, 2009, 07:46 PM   #7
LanceOregon

California is not as bad as some other states, such as New York, which require that handgun owners themselves be licensed, and have a permit just to be able to possess a handgun.

California has not YET gone that far.

--
Old September 21, 2009, 08:24 PM   #8
oneounceload

My understanding is that NJ and NY are far more restrictive than California