The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 26, 2001, 10:41 AM   #1
Swamp Yankee

Manual Preferences

I suppose this could have been a poll but truth be known, I'm more interested in the why as to the popularity.
Over the years I have accumulated a dozen manuals, some old, some new, and a bunch of the free data brochures put out by the various powder companies. All are useful but when starting a new load or wanting to research data I typically use Lyman's 46th and 47th editions and Speer's #13. Only reason being I find them easy to use and like the way they present the load data.
The question I have is, what manuals do you prefer and why?
As always, Thanks in advance for the responses.
Take Care
Old August 26, 2001, 11:54 AM   #2
GeneS

I have a Lee manual. It's main plus is it has most every cartridge and available powder listed. I believe the loads are just copied from the powder manufacturers guide. I have a fourth edition Hornady (also a 1st edition). It has a separate book just for ballistic tables.

I also have a 9th, a 12th, and a 13th edition Speer. I prefer the Speer manuals mainly because their listed velocities are usually closer to my actual chronograph results. The 13th edition is about identical to the 12th except for the added Cowboy loads. I also pick up all the free powder company guides when I run across them. I use them all and I compare the start and max loads in each. Sometimes there is quite a difference in the max load for the same cartridge and bullet weight.
Old August 26, 2001, 01:05 PM   #3
capbuster

Lyman cast bullet handbook for the casting info. and all the great cast bullet loads.Also manuals by speer and hornady because I use their bullets.
Old August 26, 2001, 07:24 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

I admit I grab the Speer 12 or 13 first, and often the Hodgdon.

(I have so much data I look like a government agency. Paper everywhere...)
Old August 26, 2001, 07:37 PM   #5
Peter M. Eick

I tend to start with Seirra, to establish reasonable baselines. I then confirm it with the powder company book (like allient) then I check Speer because they seem to be the hottest.

I have also taken all of the max loads from every manual I could find for a single bullet weight and shape and AOL, averaged them and used it as max load. This seems to give reasonable numbers, but anytime I exceed one manual because another ones says its ok I get very cautious.
Old August 26, 2001, 09:46 PM   #6
Steve Smith

I use the Lyman Handgun (I've forgotten the real name right now...it's the one with the "open class" IPSC gun on the front) for handguns, and the Sierra Rifle book for rifles.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 26, 2001, 10:23 PM   #7
Bogie

For rifles, it's a toss-up between the Nosler (very good) and Sierra books... For handguns, I tend to buy Speer bullets...

But I've got to say that NOTHING out there is like Ken Waters' Pet Loads...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old August 26, 2001, 11:34 PM   #8
Archie

Most all of them.

I like Lyman's, Speer, Hornady and Hodgdon. Sierra seems to be good, but I've just never bought one.

The "one caliber load books" are pretty decent, too.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old August 27, 2001, 12:12 PM   #9
Poodleshooter

I use Loadbooks for most of my shooting. I personally think that the Sierra manuals are the best. They offer many more powder selections than other bullet manufacturers. Powder manufacturers manuals are nice for generic loading.
Mostly I select manuals based on:
A. Test weapon- I hate "universal receiver" data? Why do they always use a pressure barrel that is longer than "normal" barrel length's for rifles? And why use one at all for revolver cartridges? How many people are using non-vented barrels? Sure, a few DE and T/C shooters, but not that many! Bottomline, I like manuals that provide data from a known popular weapon, preferably one that I own.
B. Do they provide a cartridge OAL? Data without this important seating depth measurement isn't as useful.
C. How many powder or bullet selections do they provide?
Old August 27, 2001, 07:28 PM   #10
Steve in PA

How come no one listed the Hornady manuals?? My preference is Hornady, Hodgdon then Speer, Alliant.
Old August 27, 2001, 08:25 PM   #11
blades67

I use Lyman's 46th & 47th editions, Speer's #13 and Hodgdon load data sheets.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old August 27, 2001, 09:29 PM   #12
keano44

I also use the caliber specific loadbooks, which have information from many bullet and powder companies, all in one book. But I also use several manuals including: Hornady, Hodgdon, Modern Reloading by Richard Lee, and even The ABC's of Reloading by Dean Grennel. It really helps to have an assortment of sources. I also purchased one of the Loadmaps from Midway, but have been disapointed with it. It is the one for the .44 Magnum caliber, and the choices of powders they included for the 240 gr. bullets seems very lacking, to me, being a hunter. They seemed to leave out all of the best powders which get the most out of the 240 gr. bullets for hunting deer.

I have been looking a a lot of load information from over the internet lately, but always check the manuals first before using any of this information. The same applies when taking information from gun rags, they often do contain misprints.
I've seen mountains, and I've seen desserts.
I've seen the world, and thought I'd seen it all. But of all the scenes I've ever seen, I ain't never seen no scene, like the scene I'm seein now!........keano44
Old August 28, 2001, 12:19 PM   #13
sundog

I've got most of the one's already mentioned, and use ALL of them regularly, plus all the powder manufacturers' pamphlets going way back and glom onto new ones as catch can. But, Like Keano, I really like all the web sources. WARNING, check that data against a manual. Just 'cause it's on the web, it ain't necessarily so. Best if it comes from one of the component manufacturers or a reputable site such as MD Smith. If I could have only one it would be Lyman's 47th.

Oops, had to edit to include the 'why' part. Personal preference mostly. A good manual needs to have 'how to', and enough variety of components for as many calibers as is practical along with how results were obtained. So, are others as good or better than my choice? Maybe. Will I ever change my mind? Maybe. btw, if I were to teach someone reloading from scratch, I'd go with the Lyman 47th and the NRA Guide to reloading.
Old August 28, 2001, 01:43 PM   #14
zot

Speer, and all the on-line sites.
Old August 28, 2001, 05:53 PM   #15
pwiz

I use Sierra as my prime but check my Lyman too. If I need a special, I will go to Accurate, Speer, old NRA's, Winchester, IMR, etc

pwiz
Old August 28, 2001, 06:28 PM   #16
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I have books by Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Hodgdon and Lyman (plus the Lyman cast bullet handbook and the cast bullet load book from RCBS). I like the Hodgdon and the Lyman books the best. Reason being they show different powder companies and different bullet manufacturers. The others tend to stick to their own products. Of course if I am loading Sierra bullets I reach for the Sierra manual..............unless it does not show the powder I am using.
Old August 30, 2001, 02:35 AM   #17
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Right now, its Speer #13 for me,

cuz its the only one I currently have. Over
the years, I have used reference material
from Speer #8, Sierra's very 1st manual,
Hornady, and Lyman. Also data from my Lyman
Cast Bullet Handbook; that my friend Capbuster
spoke of.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Wishing All A Very Safe And Joyous Labor Day Week-End
Old August 30, 2001, 04:49 PM   #18
Monkeyleg

I have a Speer manual and several pamphlets from the powder companies. The loads seem to be all over the map, so I: a) start with the lightest and chrono it or b) use a load that someone I know very well has worked up, unless the guy likes hot loads.
Old August 30, 2001, 09:27 PM   #19
slickpuppy

I grab the Sierra manual first. Then, I will peruse the others. Others being Hodgon, Accurate, Lyman, VV, Speer, Hornady, Nosler, the Load Maps if applicable, and Lee's...also the Alliant freebee.

I have two editions of the Sierra manuals and Hornady's and will look at the older versions, too, if I get conflicting load data.

The newer load maps can help with checking bullet profiles for the various plated bullets out there pretty quickly.
Old August 31, 2001, 09:46 PM   #20
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
I may use a dozen different sources, but my three favorite are: Hodgdon Data Manual No.26, a Powley computer (not really a manual, but it is made out of cardboard), and Ken Waters' Pet Loads has been extremely influential.

Powley computer helps select the optimal powder speed for a given bullet weight and case capacity, Hodgdon's verifies starting loads, and Waters' insights are always cogent - helpful in determining accuracy potential, velocity & pressure relationships, powder & bullet selection, etc. -- Kernel

— Anonymous A-10 Pilot, USAF
Old September 3, 2001, 02:21 AM   #21
Smokey Joe

Manuals, manuals

What manual do I use? Now there's an interesting question. Shotgun: Lyman first, 3rd, and 4th edition. Rifle/Pistol: Lyman 45th and 47th edition. Also refer to various manufacturers' free literature for both. Plus see below on Loadbooks. Also use the Lee Reloading Handbook, as I started my reloading with a .30-'06 hammer-it-in, dip-the-powder kit. For grandfatherly advice, I go to Col. Townseld Whelen's book, Why Not Load Your Own! Though dated, his is still the most detailed discussion of each aspect of reloading.

I'm not crazy about paying a bunch for only information on one company's bullets, so I don't use the Speer, Hornady, or Sierra books. I wouldn't turn one down if I got one for small $$.

For almost all the details on one cartridge, you can't beat the Loadbooks. Each title has data for only one cartridge, but from all of the major powder and bullet manufacturers right in one little volume. They publish a large and growing list of popular cartridges. You can order from the publisher, at www.loadbooks.com for $9.95 each ppd. I think they are a terrific buy, and no one is paying me to say so.

Do I sound like a cheap s.o.b? Sorry, but I get the info I need, and can afford more bullets or whatever. I load so I can shoot more, and more accurately. Whatever manual one uses, the important thing is to watch what you're doing, pay attention to detail, and don't second-guess the authors.
Old September 3, 2001, 07:02 AM   #22
xraymongral

I use Accurates most often, though I have Speers #10 and Sierras #2, as well as a collection of loads found on the net or from the "rags". I have to say I really do not like the way the Sierra manual presents its info. Speer and AA are much better for me.