The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 9, 2012, 11:58 AM   #26
Webleymkv

Since you already like everything about the Sig other than the price, one of the Sig Pro pistols seems like the obvious choice to me. As pat701 already pointed out, the SP2022 is the current model but lightly used 2340's and 2009's are also available. Based on my admittedly limited experience with a 2009, the Sig Pro's are excellent handguns that are well-suited to the purposes you describe.
Old December 9, 2012, 12:16 PM   #27
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
It is almost impossible to find a PPQ in 9mm in stock let along at $500 these days. The hype has these things flying off the shelf and the price has moved to about $550 when you can find one.

True, I got mine for...$635 if I can recall.

It's still on my chopping block along with the Glock 19.

It did shoot like a dream though, before it started acting up of course.

Why not look at a used SIG P226?
Old December 10, 2012, 09:26 PM   #28
David White

All you do is rotate the lever for disassembly 90% and the slide comes off.
It can be done with one hand IF you get the right grip on the weapon.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:54 PM   #29
1stmar

What's wrong with an sr9? I think Hoffmanns has them for $399
Old December 10, 2012, 10:35 PM   #30
Kermit

why not get a 22lr conversion for that G30? same holster, same grip, same trigger & cheap 22lr ammo?

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...onversion+Kit/
Old December 10, 2012, 10:52 PM   #31
ripnbst

Why has there been no mention of the S&W M&P9?

OP, have you handled one? With the different palm swells, I love mine.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:53 PM   #32
Atbat82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stmar View Post
What's wrong with an sr9? I think Hoffmanns has them for $399
Hoffmans does, indeed, have them for $399 brand new. They have great prices on most (all?) Ruger products. They also stock a decent selection of used handguns (though lately a lot of them seem to be in .40 s&w). Might be worth checking back occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone
Old December 10, 2012, 11:02 PM   #33
The_Meteorologist

Will also throw in my recommendation for the Sig SP 2022. Quite a steal for 430 dollars (the price I paid). Has a 1913 style Picatinny rail, a DA/SA system with decocker, and user-adjustable backstraps. I can't comment on quality compared to other metal frame Sigs since I have never shot one, but this gun feels substantially "nicer", higher quality than either of my compacts (Ruger and S&W) for less price. Negatives are the lack of accessories, although my hope is that will becomes less of an issue now that this gun is beginning to gain some notoriety.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:08 PM   #34
willmc33

Glock 19 fits the role better then most.
Old December 11, 2012, 12:14 AM   #35
golfnutrlv

Well, since your still shopping...Look closely at the Smith and Wesson M&P Series.

I own 2, a full size 9 and a compact .45. My full size 9mm has over 15,000 rounds through it. No malfunctions, accurate, adjustable backstraps, 17+1 capacity.

It's at least worth a look.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:11 AM   #36
ShipWreck

Two things on this - I have seen screen captures of the beginning of that thread - the disassembly lever has already been pushed down before Jet Li does his thing - it is a movie - itw as setup like that for the movie.

Two - Beretta will sell LEOs (and others, if U ask - as I have been told) a different disassembly lever - it has no lip, and requires a screw driver to push down on the edge.

Personally - I would not worry about this. I have a 92FS too - and this is my last concern. If ANYONE gets within arms reach of your weapon to mess with anything on it - you are screwed anyway. And, on a semi auto - yes, all they need do is push the slid eback a hair, and ANY semi auto is deactivated as long as the slide is back.

I've been on many forums for many years now - This topic has come up in the past (I forget which forum), and the stilll from that scene have been posted.

Someone always tells some vague story of knowing gangbangers who practiced this movie - I'm personally not buying it, and am not worried about it.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:13 AM   #37
ShipWreck

Anyway - I alluded to it before - but here is a picture from the movie... Notice the disassembly lever is ALREADY down...

If you are going to let THIS stop you from buying a Beretta 92, then its just ridiculous...

Hell, as you can see, I'm not worried about this silly maneuver...

Old December 11, 2012, 03:04 PM   #38
1stmar

Hoffmann has fn-s 9mm for $499
Old December 11, 2012, 11:47 PM   #39
stormyone

I'd go with the Glock 17. Put some +2 mag extensions on the mags and you have 19 +1 rounds of ammo ready to go. 19 rounds in each spare mag.
Old December 12, 2012, 07:29 AM   #40
ShipWreck

You can easily get 17 and 18 round Beretta mags - and 20 rounder Mecgars with an extension
Old December 12, 2012, 05:14 PM   #41
Ronbert

Any reason to skip over the Springfield XD or XDm products?

They seem to have better out-of-the-box triggers than Glock and are fine pistols.

Friend of mine is a former cop and shoots much better with his XD than with his Glock.
Old December 12, 2012, 07:21 PM   #42
stormyone

<<<You can easily get 17 and 18 round Beretta mags - and 20 rounder Mecgars with an extension>>>

You like the Beretta 92 and its variants. That's cool.
If I had a Beretta 92 and a Glock 17 laying on a table and I was told to pick one pistol to go in to combat with, I'd still go with the Glock 17.
Old December 12, 2012, 07:26 PM   #43
Billy Shears

Quote:
But, I'm also a Soldier, and I've used and qualified with the M9 a fair bit and am familiar with the platform.

Seems like there's your answer right there. You will never go wrong choosing a known, reliable weapon that you are competent and familiar with.

And thank you for your service.
Old December 12, 2012, 07:39 PM   #44
shogan191

What about a Springfield, XDM 9 or XD or as someone already mentioned the M&P 9. If you don't mind the price I'd go with tthe XDM. You can find them new for as low as $509.00 including kit,19+1. Free shipping, no CC charges. SportsmansOutdoorSuperStore.
Old December 12, 2012, 10:16 PM   #45
ShipWreck

Quote:
You like the Beretta 92 and its variants. That's cool.
If I had a Beretta 92 and a Glock 17 laying on a table and I was told to pick one pistol to go in to combat with, I'd still go with the Glock 17.
This is true. However, I have previously owned 5 Glocks. I've also been in non stop gunbuying mode for like 16 years. I won't say how many handguns I've owned over the years - but its a lot. At one point or another, (while it's an oversimplification, admittedly), I've owned almost everything...

At the present time, the Beretta 92 is my favorite platform for a variety of reasons... And, I got rid of almost everything else as a result of my preference.

I personally have no issues with someone who prefers a Glock. My only issue is saying one is BETTER than the other. 1 may be better for one person or another due to preference, ergonomics, reason for the weapon, experience, hand size, etc.. But, neither one sucks, and some fans boys just can't say anything but any other gun sucks except their favorite one.

Admittedly - I love seeing threads about people who just discovered a 92 for the first time. Or when people buy another one. I've personally probably gotten 50+ Beretta sold over the years thru people I have known as well as internet discussions.

The original poster would have a good gun with either one he chose (between the 2 he asked about). But, one may be better off for him than the other... Nothing wrong with that...

Last edited by ShipWreck; December 13, 2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old December 12, 2012, 10:45 PM   #46
LockedBreech

Shipwreck, I feel the same about the 92-series. Kinda silly since I don't currently own one, but it's a high priority and I have a lot of experience with the platform.

I imagine I feel the same as a lot of folks who like the 1911 best. On paper, it can be bested by a lot of platforms for capacity/simplicity/weight, but in my hand it feels like fighting steel, something I could really use effectively.

I love a lot of platforms. The Gen 4 G17 is very nice, Sigs are gorgeous, HKs are bulldog tough, and both the M&P and my PX4 make the .40 S&W sing. But no pistol has ever felt like I could fight it effectively like the 92 platform. A lot of people think it feels too big, but for my larger-than-average hand it feels like a perfect handshake.
Old December 13, 2012, 12:05 AM   #47
Billy Shears

This:
Quote:
I love a lot of platforms. The Gen 4 G17 is very nice, Sigs are gorgeous, HKs are bulldog tough, and both the M&P and my PX4 make the .40 S&W sing. But no pistol has ever felt like I could fight it effectively like the 92 platform. A lot of people think it feels too big, but for my larger-than-average hand it feels like a perfect handshake.
And this:
Quote:
I personally have no issues with someone who prefers a Glock. My only issue is saying one is BETTER than the other. 1 may be better for one person or another due to preference, ergonomics, reason for the weapon, experience, hand size, etc.. The original poster would have a good gun with either one he chose (between the 2 he asked about). But, one may be better off for him than the other... Nothing wrong with that...
Seem to me to boil down and concisely summarize a lot of the collected wisdom of this forum. Sticky-worthy quotes right there. There's no single one-size-fits-all best pistol for every shooter and for every situation. Find one that works for you, practice and get good with it, practice some more and get better with it and don't waste time disparaging what other shooters have discovered or decided works for them. Honestly, we're all in this together.
Old December 13, 2012, 01:25 AM   #48
baccusboy

Another vote for the FN-S 9mm

The reason is the Opp said his hands didn't like fatter guns. The FN-S 9mm will fit just right.

The Sig 2022, however, is a pretty fat grip, if memory serves.