The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 11, 2000, 10:38 PM   #1
Cliff

A friend of mine recently bought one. When he told me about it, the first thing I worried about was proper head space. He told me that he had to return the first one because the bolt wouldn't close when trying to chamber a round.

He took it back and Big 5 replaced it.

He doesn't shoot the rifle much, primarily keeping it as a military collectible. But he DOES shoot it, using surplus (not factory) ammo.

Is this safe? What can he inspect without having to take the rifle to a gunsmith?

Thanks in advance.

Cliff
Old February 11, 2000, 10:55 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Cliff, it probably is safe to shoot. The MNs can be had for as little as $49.95 around here. If he has the headspace gages for the rifle then yes he could inspect it himself, but just because the "new" one will close on a cartridge doesn't mean a lot. If I were him, I'd turn the $60 gun into and $80 gun and spend $20 on having it checked out. George
Old February 12, 2000, 11:25 AM   #3
Wallew

I agree with George, have a smith check it out for him. However, the MN rifle actions were extremely stout. One of the reasons that they are not that popular (and therefore so cheap) is they are just butt ugly rifles. I question the use of surplus (20 - 40 year old) ammo. Who knows what shape its in. Jim
Old February 13, 2000, 10:06 PM   #4
glockorama

I had my 1939 model headspaced and I shoot it once in awhile. They are fun, but kick like a mule. Very strong actions.

[This message has been edited by glockorama (edited February 13, 2000).]
Old February 15, 2000, 02:03 PM   #5
Nestor Rivera

All my mosin's have worked fine, as for surplus most of the stuff I have picked up is 1980's production (russian heavy and light ball) Tell yor friend to surf over to mosin-nagant.net and get a copy of the ammo decoder there are a few VARY dangerous rounds out there (purble tip and primer - HE/Incendary if memory serves)

If you can find any the East German "training" ammo with the 123g bullet is a great plinker.

NOTE - All MilSurp East block ammo should be treated as CORROSIVE, even the LVE "non-corrosive" probably shoud be treated as such.