The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 12, 2015, 09:13 AM   #1
NINEX19

Fiocchi Extrema .357 Magnum

I have bought Fiocchi ammunition for at least the last 15 years in many different calibers. I am very satisfied with their products. Never have I had an issue.

Recently I bought their Extrema .357 Magnum 158 Grain XTPHP, specifically because I was looking for a small amount of nickel plated .357 Mag. cases. When I opened the box, I was very surprised to see that the head stamp was Starline. Is this a usual practice by them or any other major ammo manufacturing company? Did I get an off box? Do they sub contract out for their nickel plated cases and if so why not order them with their own stamp and not a "generic".

Over the years and all of the Fiocchi I have bought, they have always been their own head stamp. Anyone else buy this load and see the same thing?
Old August 12, 2015, 11:10 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

For quite a few years now the major brass companies have been farming out the manufacturing of their brass. If not all of it, quite a bit of it. I was in a brass foundry ten years ago and observed many hundreds of thousands of rounds of brass in tubs ready to be shipped out. The foundry was not affiliated with any firearms manufacturer or ammo maker. It was all contract work. Why would you think Fiocchi made their own brass?
Old August 12, 2015, 11:31 AM   #3
NINEX19

I can understand them not making their own brass, though they are a large enough company where I would suspect they would. The question is why a big name company of this size would ship ammo with brass head stamped "Starline" and not their own stamp like all other of their ammo I have seen.
Old August 12, 2015, 02:48 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

It may be that due to the ammo component shortages that's all they could get at the time?
Old August 12, 2015, 03:01 PM   #5
Doyle

I can certainly see them outsourcing the actual brass production. I'm sure other small and medium sized ammo manufacturers do that. What does surprise me is that it was still Starline headstamped. I would have thought that their contract with Starline would have specified a custom headstamp.

Maybe what happened was that Starline DOES normally put a custom headstamp on the brass that they sell to Fiocchi but this particular lot either got the wrong headstamp or the person shipping the brass to Fiocchi got normal brass mixed up with the batch meant for Fiocchi.